G-Sync monitors can't do high refresh rate over HDMI?

FRD

Since around Black Friday I'm looking into a monitor for my Xbox Series S. My PC setup has an Asus ROG monitor with only a DP.

I was looking at other ROG monitors that also have HDMI that work with consoles. I was thinking I might want to get another ROG monitor to match my setup, but I've come to the conclusion the G-Sync models don't do high refresh rate over HDMI, just over the DP because of their G-Sync module.

Then I also same some comment online by some real/fake LTT account that says G-Sync monitors only support 60hz max on HDMI.

Now I'm a bit confused. Is it true? Are G-Sync monitors out of the option for me? I know LG, Acer and others also make G-Sync monitors.
It kind of makes sense, because modern day consoles have AMD GPUs in them, but even G-Sync monitors can work with AMD cards (it wasn't back then).

10 minutes ago, FRD said:

Since around Black Friday I'm looking into a monitor for my Xbox Series S. My PC setup has an Asus ROG monitor with only a DP.

I was looking at other ROG monitors that also have HDMI that work with consoles. I was thinking I might want to get another ROG monitor to match my setup, but I've come to the conclusion the G-Sync models don't do high refresh rate over HDMI, just over the DP because of their G-Sync module.

Then I also same some comment online by some real/fake LTT account that says G-Sync monitors only support 60hz max on HDMI.

Now I'm a bit confused. Is it true? Are G-Sync monitors out of the option for me? I know LG, Acer and others also make G-Sync monitors.
It kind of makes sense, because modern day consoles have AMD GPUs in them, but even G-Sync monitors can work with AMD cards (it wasn't back then).

Some is limited to 100hz, when adaptive sync is enabled, but when disabled its full speed. Check spec sheet/manual before buying. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

The variable refresh landscape is a confusing mess. Official G-sync certified monitors utilize a proprietary module that only works with Nvidia cards and only works over DP. AMD introduced FreeSync as an open alternative, and FreeSync Premium and Premium Pro monitors are usually G-sync compatible, but again, that's typically over DP only. There is FreeSync over HDMI, but that's proprietary and not part of the HDMI spec, so support is hit or miss. Finally, you have HDMI 2.1 VRR, a VESA standard that obviously works over HDMI, assuming both ends support the applicable HDMI 2.1 spec. For example, the PS5 and Sony's own TVs frustratingly and surprisingly still do not support VRR in any form, though support is "coming".

That's entirely separate from high refresh, though. Even HDMI 1.4 supports high refresh, just at much lower resolutions, whereas HDMI 2.1 can support 4K at 120Hz. Lower resolutions can be run at higher refreshes since it's a data bottleneck issue. The particular spec is only capable of transferring so much data per second, so you have to have some combination of resolution, refresh, and bit depth that fits within that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Official G-sync certified monitors utilize a proprietary module that only works with Nvidia cards and only works over DP.

There are "native G-Sync" monitors, which are the ones you described with the poprietary hardware module, but these nowadays also typically work with AMD GPUs and FreeSync. And then there are "G-Sync compatible" certified monitors which are FreeSync monitors that have been tested by Nvidia and are officially supported. But brands like LG made the confusion even worse by branding their monitors just as "G-Sync" when they are native FreeSync monitors that are certified as "G-Sync compatible".

So yes, you conclusion was perfect: It's a mess.

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

For example, the PS5 and Sony's own TVs frustratingly and surprisingly still do not support VRR in any form, though support is "coming".

Sony started to introduce VRR to it's first TV models, namely the X900H. But the current implementations is straight up terrible, essentially disabling FALD and raising black levels so picture quality suffers substantially.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I understand a bit more now and the fact that it's a mess.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:49 PM, Glenwing said:

G-Sync module monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI regardless of resolution.

https://linustechtips.com/blogs/entry/1445-v2-g-sync-module-analysis/

I see, that's unfortunate. That's some good info there.

That means like 80% of Asus ROG monitors are out of the question for me, just Freesync models are good for console and their newer 360hz model with HDMI 2.1.

I might have to go to a different brand. It's a bit annoying that I need to research every single monitor to make sure it can do high refresh rate over HDMI. Most Freesync (Premium/Pro) monitors should, but it's a mess. I'm almost thinking I'm better off buying a 100hz TV after all.