Stick with HPZ400 Xeon or Upgrade to 4770K System for Media/Storage Server/PC

Bearded_Ed

Hiya guys,

I have an opportunity to get a sensible price on a mates old hardware.

He's just upgraded from a 4770K on a Asus Z87-A to a Ryzen 3600X.

My current home "server" is a HP Z400 workstation I got real cheap on eBay a while back. 

It gets used for mass storage (network shares) from my gaming desktop and runs Plex. 99% of the time everything is direct played and no transcoding is required. 

Anyone see any advantage for me to go to the 4770K?

I already have a spare standard PSU so I can use that.

Any thoughts appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, Bearded_Ed said:

Hiya guys,

I have an opportunity to get a sensible price on a mates old hardware.

He's just upgraded from a 4770K on a Asus Z87-A to a Ryzen 3600X.

My current home "server" is a HP Z400 workstation I got real cheap on eBay a while back. 

It gets used for mass storage (network shares) from my gaming desktop and runs Plex. 99% of the time everything is direct played and no transcoding is required. 

Anyone see any advantage for me to go to the 4770K?

I already have a spare standard PSU so I can use that.

Any thoughts appreciated. 

Yes If this model or similar its old af https://www.amazon.com/HP-Z400-Workstation-Quad-Core-3-2GHz/dp/B0162ILMSW

4770k +z87 is about 4 years newer and higher clocked. Also will consume less power and be faster in generel.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes If this model or similar its old af https://www.amazon.com/HP-Z400-Workstation-Quad-Core-3-2GHz/dp/B0162ILMSW

4770k +z87 is about 4 years newer and higher clocked. Also will consume less power and be faster in generel.

Yes its roughly that sorta spec. 

The Xeon is 4c8t but can't remember exactly which one it is.

I know overall performance will be better, I'm just not sure if it's worth it. 

4 minutes ago, Bearded_Ed said:

It is. You should be able to keep the case. Souce: https://gadgetversus.com/processor/intel-core-i7-4770k-vs-intel-xeon-w3520/

image.thumb.png.5cfeb22159dcddd9a19c7c9493625b92.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

20 minutes ago, Bearded_Ed said:

If your current one does what it needs to do well enough no point in going after performance. However the 4770 system will probably consume less than half the power of the z400.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If your current one does what it needs to do well enough no point in going after performance. However the 4770 system will probably consume less than half the power of the z400.

This is the thing, I haven't got any problems with it. Yes its a tad sluggish when needing to fiddle about with it, even on an SSD. But frankly that's fine and yes it'd be nice if it was faster but it doesn't need to be.

Power.... well yes that would be nice but I don't know if it's worth the £100 or so it will cost me to do the swap.

I actually think I will have to swap cases to something else as well due to the PSU sizing. 

I'd do the swap mostly because Haswell nets you QSV, highly useful for transcoding. The Core I and Xeon E series chips are universally better for media streaming, even in the same generation, unless you have extreme requirements and are using GPUs for your media encoding. 

10 hours ago, Bearded_Ed said:

This is the thing, I haven't got any problems with it. Yes its a tad sluggish when needing to fiddle about with it, even on an SSD. But frankly that's fine and yes it'd be nice if it was faster but it doesn't need to be.

Power.... well yes that would be nice but I don't know if it's worth the £100 or so it will cost me to do the swap.

I actually think I will have to swap cases to something else as well due to the PSU sizing. 

For 100 pounds it's a no brainer. In a year and a half you'd have recouped that in power.