Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need help what headphone amplifier i need ?

zmrzlapka

Go to solution Solved by creesch,
2 hours ago, zmrzlapka said:

thank you

I can t find what audio chip my motherboard (PRIME B460M-A) has.... but I want to ask you that.

It has the Realtek ALC887 audio chip on it, which is decent enough. 

If I want a better sound. what should I buy

If you don't like the on-board audio you can get one of the two things I already mentioned in my previous comment. Both are popular options and generally well liked. 

Strictly speaking you don't need a headphone amplifier for that model as 80ohm can be driven by your onboard audio chip. Many motherboard sound chips these days are actually of rather decent quality. 

Having said that, you likely want a combined DAC+AMP if you do not want to use your onboard audio as just using an AMP with onboard audio will just amplify whatever quality audio the onboard audio outputs. 

Some decent choices in your price range:

• FiiO E10K (The older one with micro usb for a lower price or the new usb-c one)
  • DROP O2 + SDAC DAC/AMP

But honestly, get the headphones first and try them with your onboard audio. If you are happy with the sound quality and volume it is unlikely you will get a noticeable better quality with an amp(+dac). 

The above mostly assumes onboard audio, is that correct? 

2 hours ago, creesch said:

Strictly speaking you don't need a headphone amplifier for that model as 80ohm can be driven by your onboard audio chip. Many motherboard sound chips these days are actually of rather decent quality. 

Having said that, you likely want a combined DAC+AMP if you do not want to use your onboard audio as just using an AMP with onboard audio will just amplify whatever quality audio the onboard audio outputs. 

Some decent choices in your price range:

• FiiO E10K (The older one with micro usb for a lower price or the new usb-c one)
  • DROP O2 + SDAC DAC/AMP

But honestly, get the headphones first and try them with your onboard audio. If you are happy with the sound quality and volume it is unlikely you will get a noticeable better quality with an amp(+dac). 

The above mostly assumes onboard audio, is that correct? 

thank you

I can t find what audio chip my motherboard (PRIME B460M-A) has.... but I want to ask you that. If I want a better sound. what should I buy

2 hours ago, zmrzlapka said:

thank you

I can t find what audio chip my motherboard (PRIME B460M-A) has.... but I want to ask you that.

It has the Realtek ALC887 audio chip on it, which is decent enough. 

If I want a better sound. what should I buy

If you don't like the on-board audio you can get one of the two things I already mentioned in my previous comment. Both are popular options and generally well liked.