Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What possesions should you put GPS on?

TechMasterMind

There is also the question of how... for example, if you have a laptop that will be turned off most of the time, it would get stolen that way. But are there gps trackers small enough? Would you need to put it in a spare 2.5mm drive bay?
How about other devices, there's no way you could put a backup tracker in a phone but you could maybe fit one in a monitor.
Is there any point to fitting trackers in clothes?
Would you need to remove trackers casing to fit it into smaller devices?

Thanks a million in advance for any advice! x3

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

With laptops, LPS is typically used and can be more accurate. This also puts the cost way down since a GPS is not needed. Typically, vendors have some kind of feature in the EFI to enable some kind of recovery. You'd need to check the specific vendor to find out. This would render the computer inoperable by the thief, unlike adding a GPS peripheral.

Having GPS on items means it needs to ping on something with an internet connection or have an internet connection itself. This means you need to have a low power modem and a GPS on the device, which can add up. These are typically put on cars for tracking fleet vehicles or other high ticket items.

If you are talking about something like tile or airtags, those do not use GPS. They instead rely on local low power band communication like BLE or NFC. This makes them much cheaper than GPS, which is why they are very popular. 

14 minutes ago, noitcelfeR said:

With laptops, LPS is typically used and can be more accurate. This also puts the cost way down since a GPS is not needed. Typically, vendors have some kind of feature in the EFI to enable some kind of recovery. You'd need to check the specific vendor to find out. This would render the computer inoperable by the thief, unlike adding a GPS peripheral.

Having GPS on items means it needs to ping on something with an internet connection or have an internet connection itself. This means you need to have a low power modem and a GPS on the device, which can add up. These are typically put on cars for tracking fleet vehicles or other high ticket items.

If you are talking about something like tile or airtags, those do not use GPS. They instead rely on local low power band communication like BLE or NFC. This makes them much cheaper than GPS, which is why they are very popular. 

Okay so would LPS, BLE, NFC still be able to track a device at long range? Anywhere from a couple miles to oh shoot I left it in france?

And if so what search terms do I use? "tiletag BLE"?

7 hours ago, TechMasterMind said:

Okay so would LPS, BLE, NFC still be able to track a device at long range? Anywhere from a couple miles to oh shoot I left it in france?

And if so what search terms do I use? "tiletag BLE"?

These devices rely on other connected devices to get location. The location isn't long range, but, if someone else has an iPhone, then an airtag can be tracked. Not sure about tile. Probably the same thing if they have the app installed.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:20 AM, TechMasterMind said:
There is also the question of how... for example, if you have a laptop that will be turned off most of the time, it would get stolen that way. But are there gps trackers small enough? Would you need to put it in a spare 2.5mm drive bay?
How about other devices, there's no way you could put a backup tracker in a phone but you could maybe fit one in a monitor.
Is there any point to fitting trackers in clothes?
Would you need to remove trackers casing to fit it into smaller devices?

Thanks a million in advance for any advice! x3

The thing is, what would you do with this information? For example police in the UK can't enter a house on the basis that your device is in their property. GPS tracking that you have implemented is not a reliable source of information for the authorities to work with.

Almost nothing. It has occasionally crossed my mind for a few very expensive pieces of test equipment, but I'm not really convinced that it would do much in the event of theft. Laptops seldom have high enough value to justify that extent. 

In my mind, there aren't too many areas where it makes sense. It's either not valuable enough to bother, or so valuable that you're dealing with insurance and the police instead. 

The one exception might be something that's absolutely irreplaceable. I did it once or twice when I was working from home with old custom equipment that absolutely could not be replaced, but that's a rare circumstance.

Very handy to have a tracker on a bike, gives piece of mind and can be easily hidden. The problem is you are still boned because the police can't do anything, you could confront the thief but that's a bit ill advised. For most items buying a solid lock is going to be much more effective. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:28 PM, For Science! said:

The thing is, what would you do with this information? For example police in the UK can't enter a house on the basis that your device is in their property. GPS tracking that you have implemented is not a reliable source of information for the authorities to work with.

Oops I left behind my bag it could be anywhere between france and portgugol I went to my holiday on... Oh, its on the bus 30 miles away

On 12/21/2021 at 3:25 AM, ItsGucci said:

Very handy to have a tracker on a bike, gives piece of mind and can be easily hidden. The problem is you are still boned because the police can't do anything, you could confront the thief but that's a bit ill advised. For most items buying a solid lock is going to be much more effective. 

a) loss also exists, b) if you confront someone over something like this and they are anywhere but their house I'd say 9/10 times you'd be successful especially if you can draw people to deliberate

On 12/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, H713 said:

Almost nothing. It has occasionally crossed my mind for a few very expensive pieces of test equipment, but I'm not really convinced that it would do much in the event of theft. Laptops seldom have high enough value to justify that extent. 

In my mind, there aren't too many areas where it makes sense. It's either not valuable enough to bother, or so valuable that you're dealing with insurance and the police instead. 

The one exception might be something that's absolutely irreplaceable. I did it once or twice when I was working from home with old custom equipment that absolutely could not be replaced, but that's a rare circumstance.

I mean if I lose my phone and my laptop in public I dont care about insurance, I want my data back + I have like a whole setup e.g. battery pack etc in my bag, I will want it back, like being stuck in another country or even a campsite without a tent for instance or maybe my keys is a no go. Just having a GPS tracker would be useful if I carry £2000 worth of stuff + potentially irreplacable items, I will want to find it, even if a tracker costs £100 + peace of mind from this is huge.