Need an NVME SSD for my laptop, but too many options out there, with too many numbers around each. Need help deciding one. Further information below:

tarangpatil69

Budget (including currency): 5000 Indian rupees (about US$65)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Only light games like CS GO, rocket league, GTA 4, etc., Dual boot linux and normal use case (web browsing, making word and excel docs, watching Linus drop stuff on LTT, etc.)

Other details:

I have a laptop (HP Pavilion 15 ck069tx, bought in October 2017) with 2TB hard drive as the boot drive as well as mass storage. But its getting slow as all hell. I found out it has an M.2 slot and would like to populate it with an SSD. Since I already have such a large HDD, storage is not a problem and 250GB ssd is totally fine (Although 500gb at low price is also fine). I will also use linux on it in dual boot config(about 50-60GB for linux).

Please help me choose an SSD by listing some model numbers.

Also, should I go with the Crucial P2 250GB? Since all reviewers are giving negative reviews about it.

EDIT: Done with the SSD upgrade. Took it to the local computer shop and got a 256GB Zebronics SSD. Serves my purpose well, although I would be a little bit happier if i had one from a reputed brand.

Edited by tarangpatil69

What i usually do is looking at the store where i prefer to buy, sort for the criteria i am looking at (what type, capacity, pci-e version, etc,) pick the cheapest 3 and compare which one has the best rewiews and testresults.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

11 minutes ago, tarangpatil69 said:

Budget (including currency): 5000 Indian rupees (about US$65)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Only light games like CS GO, rocket league, GTA 4, etc., Dual boot linux and normal use case (web browsing, making word and excel docs, watching Linus drop stuff on LTT, etc.)

Other details:

I have a laptop (HP Pavilion 15 ck069tx, bought in October 2017) with 2TB hard drive as the boot drive as well as mass storage. But its getting slow as all hell. I found out it has an M.2 slot and would like to populate it with an SSD. Since I already have such a large HDD, storage is not a problem and 250GB ssd is totally fine (Although 500gb at low price is also fine). I will also use linux on it in dual boot config(about 50-60GB for linux).

Please help me choose an SSD by listing some model numbers.

Also, should I go with the Crucial P2 250GB? Since all reviewers are giving negative reviews about it.

For your usecase, I would choose one of the following:

SK hynix Gold P31 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (SHGP31-500GM-2) - PCPartPicker

This one is the priciest but a great Laptop NVMe, since it is really power efficient.

Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (WDS500G1B0E) - PCPartPicker

This one is also a good one, as it has cache (for me quite important in a boot drive) and also it's on sale now. You can get one (also the SN750 non SE) for under 50$.

Mushkin Enhanced Helix-LT 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (MKNSSDHT500GB-D8) - PCPartPicker

This one is a little less known, also under 50$ and has also good cache, but the brand is not well known and it may be harder to find.

I would try to get an SK hynix gold first and if thats not possible or if they are simply to expensive, then opt for the WD black.

something like an intel 660p will do it, and you won't notice any difference if you use a more expensive one:

MSI B660M Bazooka, i5-13600K, Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, 1TB 970 EVO Plus, 840EVO 500GB, 64GB (2*32) RAM Kingston Fury Beast, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2, Benq EX2780Q monitor, Cooler Master N200 Case

People are giving recommendations, but we need to know. Does your laptop have a m.2 PCIe port or m.2 SATA?

If it's SATA, you can only choose something like the WD Blue m.2 250GB/500GB.

For PCIe there are a lot of options. My suggestions for the budget are: Kingston A2000. WD SN550. If you want better, you can get the Samsung 980, WD Black SN750 or Crucial P5.

About the Crucial P2, it's an okay drive, but the newer release is slower than the first batch, because they changed it to QLC cache since this year.

After all, see if you can get a 500GB drive for your budget in your country. 500GB is really much better than 250GB, especially if you want to install games.

1 hour ago, FRD said:

People are giving recommendations, but we need to know. Does your laptop have a m.2 PCIe port or m.2 SATA?

If it's SATA, you can only choose something like the WD Blue m.2 250GB/500GB.

For PCIe there are a lot of options. My suggestions for the budget are: Kingston A2000. WD SN550. If you want better, you can get the Samsung 980, WD Black SN750 or Crucial P5.

About the Crucial P2, it's an okay drive, but the newer release is slower than the first batch, because they changed it to QLC cache since this year.

After all, see if you can get a 500GB drive for your budget in your country. 500GB is really much better than 250GB, especially if you want to install games.

He mentioned model of laptop, It supports NVMe.