Should I get a better PSU for new GPU?

ukfan140
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,
3 minutes ago, ukfan140 said:

*facepalms* of course I would forget to mention that. Yes that's what I currently have (had to double check, thought it was 650 but I was thinking of the PC I built for my brother). 

It should work, but if you have the money I'd replace it with a better quality unit and keep the old one for backup.

I got lucky and managed to get my hands on a RTX 3060 (the AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 ELITE 12G to be exact) and on the specs page on Gigabyte's site says the recommended PSU wattage is 650w. My system currently has a 650w PSU and I've seen in a couple different places that you should have a good PSU for this card specifically. Should I get a PSU with a higher wattage rating, or should what I already have be good enough?

Should I get a PSU with a higher wattage rating, or should what I already have be good enough?

You forgot to tell us what PSU you have. Which model PSU is it?

If it's the 600W Apevia Prestige listed on your profile I would recommend replacing it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You forgot to tell us what PSU you have. Which model PSU is it?

If it's the 600W Apevia Prestige listed on your profile I would recommend replacing it.

*facepalms* of course I would forget to mention that. Yes that's what I currently have (had to double check, thought it was 650 but I was thinking of the PC I built for my brother). 

It should work, but if you have the money I'd replace it with a better quality unit and keep the old one for backup.

11 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I think I'll go ahead and replace it. I was on the fence, but might as well go ahead and bite the bullet since I plan on some more upgrades (and my brother getting some more "new" stuff)

I would recommend the same. Compared to the Gpu (or any GPU right now), PSUs are cheap and i would not want to risk damaging anything because of a slightly underpowered PSU. On top you get Headroom for more upgrades in the Future.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

12 hours ago, ukfan140 said:

I got lucky and managed to get my hands on a RTX 3060 (the AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 ELITE 12G to be exact) and on the specs page on Gigabyte's site says the recommended PSU wattage is 650w. My system currently has a 650w PSU and I've seen in a couple different places that you should have a good PSU for this card specifically. Should I get a PSU with a higher wattage rating, or should what I already have be good enough?

The Prestige is one of the few Apeshit PSUs that I would actually expect not to burst into flames.  It's not great... but it's not terrible.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

The Prestige is one of the few Apeshit PSUs that I would actually expect not to burst into flames.  It's not great... but it's not terrible.

Yeah, about that, it's not Andyson as you think. It's Comstar, i think i've told you that already 😛

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Yeah, about that, it's not Andyson as you think. It's Comstar, i think i've told you that already 😛

Oh.  Shit. I thought it was Andyson.  Forgot what you told me.  I think F14 might have said the same thing.  If it's Comstars, then I would give it a hard pass. Are we sure about that?  Because Comstars can't even make a Gold PSU.  Their engineering and QC are soooooooooooooooooooo far behind the curve.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are we sure about that?

I don't know, but i didn't see any shots of it being Andyson, all two (three?) were the same weird KT platform. Pictures on retailer pages look like Andyson, yes, so maybe they still ship out Andyson versions to some markets or interchangeably with KT, who knows. In any case, i'd say hard pass without any actual reviews or even teardowns.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 12/9/2021 at 2:18 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Didn’t have much of a choice. Came with a prebuilt from Cyberpower that I bought at Best Buy over a year ago. Been slowly upgrading components as I could to eventually have a decent PC. GPU and PSU were the last things on my list (but may upgrade the cooler and CPU in the near future and give my brother the 3600 for his rig)