Selecting 40k files on file explorer freezes, is there a different way?

cwgzz

So I have a lot of pictures on my c drive and I am trying to select it all to move it to another drive, but when I press Ctrl+A to select everything, it just hangs and doesn't do anything. Is there another way to do it? 

Command line. Open the command line, then use something like:

cd X:\directory\with\pictures
copy *.jpg Y:\directory\they\should\go

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Command line. Open the command line, then use something like "copy *.jpg <wherever>".

How do I do the command line? 

Use a better tool,  Total Commander comes to mind . You go in folder and press * to select all files or you press + to select only files with a specific format (for example *.jpg for all jpg files)

Then you can press F6 to move them to the folder selected in the other half of the application (it has two panels) or drag them over while holding shift (regular drag and drop is copy)

1 minute ago, cwgzz said:

How do I do the command line? 

Open "cmd.exe" from the start menu, then use the command I gave above. Replace X:\directory\with\pictures and Y: with the actual drive letters and directories you want to use.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Use a better tool,  Total Commander comes to mind . You go in folder and press * to select all files or you press + to select only files with a specific format (for example *.jpg for all jpg files)

Then you can press F6 to move them to the folder selected in the other half of the application (it has two panels) or drag them over while holding shift (regular drag and drop is copy)

Do I do that in Total Commander or within the file explore app?

5 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

Do I do that in Total Commander or within the file explore app?

I am sorry, I am a total noob at using the cmd app. Can I just tell you and you can help me with what I need to enter in cmd to get this to work? My PC name is Chris and the pictures are in C drive in a folder called "pics of life" and then what I need to type in to move it to drive E?

There are videos too so I just want to copy JPG files

How about you install that application Total Commander and see its interface and see what I mean before asking more questions

You can download it from here : Total Commander - Download

Get the 64 bit version  (or 32+64 bit version).

Just now, mariushm said:

How about you install that application Total Commander and see its interface and see what I mean before asking more questions

You can download it from here : Total Commander - Download

Get the 64 bit version  (or 32+64 bit version).

Oaky I am sorry. I will try that, thank you. 

I am not getting this app, I press + to search for png files but it is not doing anything

Aren't they in a folder? Can't you just copy the folder? If not, just do it chunk by chunk. It'll take a while but it'll get there.
Or use the app the others have suggested.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

50 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Command line. Open the command line, then use something like:

cd X:\directory\with\pictures
copy *.jpg Y:\directory\they\should\go

I think I got it but the command prompt is having some issues because I want to select all the .png files from multiple folders, and then isolate only the .jpg files and move them to another separate folder. How can I do that? Thank you so much for your help, I really do appreciate it so much. 

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Aren't they in a folder? Can't you just copy the folder? If not, just do it chunk by chunk. It'll take a while but it'll get there.
Or use the app the others have suggested.

There are multiple folders within the pictures folder, and there are other file extensions in multiple folders, but I want to only isolate .png from multiple folders and move them to a new folder on a different drive... I know it sounds complicated but I hope you can understand. 

Total commander is split in two , you can view two folders at the same time. 

You go on one side into the folder with your pictures and you can select them either by pressing INSERT key on your keyboard or by short right clicks on your mouse (should be the default behavior in total commander, you need to hold right button down a bit to get context menu). 

You can select multiple files by pressing +  on the Numeric Keypad section (not the + on  the number key row), or by going in the menu (either in commands or in Show menu, I don't have Total Commander at work where I am now so I don't remember, the option is called  Select multiple files or something like that) 

With + you can select multiple files by entering a pattern, with - you can deselect multiple files. With * on your numeric keypad, you select ALL files from a folder.

So you can press + and  say *.png and hit enter, then hit + again and say  *.jpg and press enter   , and you'll select all PNG and all JPG files from that folder. * is wildcard, means anything... but you could enter for example   *john*.jpg  which means select all jpg pictures which have "john" in the name. 

If you want to select folders,  simply select them with INSERT key or with short right clicks of your mouse. 

2 hours ago, cwgzz said:

There are multiple folders within the pictures folder, and there are other file extensions in multiple folders, but I want to only isolate .png from multiple folders and move them to a new folder on a different drive... I know it sounds complicated but I hope you can understand. 

In that case, you'll want a recursive function that loops through all the folders. Open cmd and run this command.

For /R X:\Source\ %G in (*.png) do move "%G" Y:\Destination\

Change X:\Source\ and Y:\Destination\ to whatever file paths you intend to use on your machine.

Also, as you'll note, this uses the "move" command, so the files will be gone at their original location. If you just want to copy the files, replace "move" with "copy" instead. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█