Laptop Asus Zephyrus M 501GS - BSOD when adding more ram.

Corry42

Hello everyone, I have a really strange issue with this laptop. it's been working fine but suddenly it started to go to BSOD. I took it to the service and they told me that my 16GB memory stick is bad and when they replaced it with 2x 8 GB sticks it still went BSOD. After that they said that there is something weird with laptop. And figured out that it works well only with 8GB stick. As soon as I add more ram it goes BSOD. Now I discovered that when I turn off turbo on CPU It's stable with 16GB and I also added another 8GB and it was stable. But as soon as I activate Turbo boost back as soon it boosts on all cores it goes BSOD again. Turbo works well only with 8 GB stick.

I suspect something bad on the motherboard. Give me your opinion or possible fix ideas.

Thanks alot all ideas appreciated, BSOD dump included to this post.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

1 hour ago, Corry42 said:

Hello everyone, I have a really strange issue with this laptop. it's been working fine but suddenly it started to go to BSOD. I took it to the service and they told me that my 16GB memory stick is bad and when they replaced it with 2x 8 GB sticks it still went BSOD. After that they said that there is something weird with laptop. And figured out that it works well only with 8GB stick. As soon as I add more ram it goes BSOD. Now I discovered that when I turn off turbo on CPU It's stable with 16GB and I also added another 8GB and it was stable. But as soon as I activate Turbo boost back as soon it boosts on all cores it goes BSOD again. Turbo works well only with 8 GB stick.

I suspect something bad on the motherboard. Give me your opinion or possible fix ideas.

Thanks alot all ideas appreciated, BSOD dump included to this post.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip 1.5 MB · 0 downloads

Well computers don’t actually have turbochargers so “turbo” means something else and is simply being used as a term meaning “go-faster” (I hate that btw.) I very much doubt anything spinning at all is involved.  Finding out what it actually means in this instance may point you to the issue.  Do you even need “turbo”?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I mean CPU turbo boost. Sorry for misunderstanding. it lets the CPU run at its base clock speed when handling light workloads, then jump to a higher clock speed for heavy workloads.

23 minutes ago, Corry42 said:

I mean CPU turbo boost. Sorry for misunderstanding. it lets the CPU run at its base clock speed when handling light workloads, then jump to a higher clock speed for heavy workloads.

Yes.  I don’t know enough about how intel turboboost technology works to be able to point to a specific thing I’m afraid. Just from a pure repair perspective it doesn’t matter much whether it’s the cpu or something else on the motherboard as everything is soldered down. At that point everything is a motherboard replacement which probably isn’t worth doing.  One could make sure it’s not software simply by replacing all of it. Reflash the bios and do a clean install.  If it’s still doing it then it’s a motherboard level hardware problem.  Live with it somehow or replace the motherboard.  I might be tempted to turn off “turbo boost” (I really hoped that term would die in the 90’s.  Never did though). and try a manual overclock.  Might get most of the speed out of it. Boost works better than manual overclock quite often,  but manual overclock can be fairly close.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I already updated bios and reinstalled system. Still same problem. I try to figure out what is wrong with it. Because turbo works with 8gb of ram but not with 16gb+ ram. But when I turn off turbo. all works fine except no turbo boost. If It was bad memory controller it would not be affected by turbo boost right? Maybe some diode or capacitor on the board ? What manual overclock software would you recommend? 

26 minutes ago, Corry42 said:

I already updated bios and reinstalled system. Still same problem. I try to figure out what is wrong with it. Because turbo works with 8gb of ram but not with 16gb+ ram. But when I turn off turbo. all works fine except no turbo boost. If It was bad memory controller it would not be affected by turbo boost right? Maybe some diode or capacitor on the board ? What manual overclock software would you recommend? 

The boost makes higher frequencies.  Not sure how that is done, though someone here probably knows.  If you’ve changed out all the software that just leaves hardware soldered to the motherboard.