Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should i update my BIOS?

Guest FrA123

Go to solution Solved by Quackers101,

Read what the BIOS versions are about, if there is no need. then there might be no need.

Updating BIOS can still brick your system, however like said above, at times it can be quite easy to update.

Just note, it might be totally fine but there is some risk involved. for drivers, they you could try and update.

I've got an old ASUS H110M-e/m.2 since 2017 and i have never updated the BIOS, there are lot of newer BIOS versions, i have never updated any pc component so far, still using the same pc since 2017 and i don't plan on changing it for a while, just asking if i should upgrade the BIOS or would it cause a damage or something, maybe the newer bios version would no longer support my current specs (1050ti and i5 7400), i want to know because i like to keep things up to date when it comes to updates so just wondering, thanks.

While BIOS updates aren't as risky as they used to be I'd still not update unless you're having issues with it.

Quote or tag me so I get notified 🙂 Also mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

GPU MSI Gaming X RX 5500 XT 8gbCPU Intel Core i5-10400F Motherboard ASRock B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 2x8gb 3200 CL16Storage Crucial MX500 500gb (Windows + some games), Crucial BX500 120gb, Seagate Barracuda Compute 2tb (storage) | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition Monitor AOC C24G2U/BKMouse Logitech G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Steelseries Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad Steelseries QCK

Read what the BIOS versions are about, if there is no need. then there might be no need.

Updating BIOS can still brick your system, however like said above, at times it can be quite easy to update.

Just note, it might be totally fine but there is some risk involved. for drivers, they you could try and update.

Echoing what others have said, unless you have a specific reason to update the BIOS it's usually smarter to avoid doing so.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Keeping software up to date is one thing, but keeping a BIOS up to date is another. In general there's usually no need to update your BIOS unless you have a specific reason, such as supporting a newer CPU. If everything you have is running fine then I'd just leave it as-is. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 11 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 700W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 1GB ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 240GB Kingston V300, 3TB HDD + 3x2TB HDD, 750W Dell PSU, Dell XPS 630i case, Windows Server 2019

Mid 2011 27" iMac (general use Mac): Intel Core i5-2400, 32GB 1333MHz DDR3, Z68 Logic Board, 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2TB WD Blue, macOS High Sierra

10 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

There are some saying: 

MEUpdateTool
Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk.
Use ME Update tool to update your ME.
*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 11.7.0.1040 simultaneously.

and all the others besides the last update says: Improve system stability and security

the last update says: Update to new ME & Microcode versions

10 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Echoing what others have said, unless you have a specific reason to update the BIOS it's usually smarter to avoid doing so.

Oh I understand, i definitely have never noticed any issues with it, but i just don't know what issues i am supposed to look for, it's just that i wondered if it could improve performance, i have a low end pc, so any improvements would be beneficial, but bricking motherboard could definitely bring performance to 0, since no motherboard, no gaming at all xd. thanks for your advice, i really appreciate.

8 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Keeping software up to date is one thing, but keeping a BIOS up to date is another. In general there's usually no need to update your BIOS unless you have a specific reason, such as supporting a newer CPU. If everything you have is running fine then I'd just leave it as-is. 

Oh i see, i was just wondering if it could make my pc faster or have improvements, because i saw people saying the opposite counter-argument like: ''ignore those who say ''if it ain't broke don't fix it'' but they are afraid of having their system up to date'' so i wanted to know. Thanks for your reply.

Something else unrelated: i got the same case as you, corsair 175r, did you keep the front fan or did you put on the back of the case? xd

2 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

Oh i see, i was just wondering if it could make my pc faster or have improvements, because i saw people saying the opposite counter-argument like: ''ignore those who say ''if it ain't broke don't fix it'' but they are afraid of having their system up to date'' so i wanted to know. Thanks for your reply.

No, that's not usually the case with BIOS updates. They won't affect that much in terms of performance.

2 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

Something else unrelated: i got the same case as you, corsair 175r, did you keep the front fan or did you put on the back of the case? xd

I left the front fan in the stock position with the RGB disabled and added three Thermaltake fans (one rear and two top exhaust). 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 11 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 700W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 1GB ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 240GB Kingston V300, 3TB HDD + 3x2TB HDD, 750W Dell PSU, Dell XPS 630i case, Windows Server 2019

Mid 2011 27" iMac (general use Mac): Intel Core i5-2400, 32GB 1333MHz DDR3, Z68 Logic Board, 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2TB WD Blue, macOS High Sierra

6 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

There are some saying: 

MEUpdateTool

not sure what those tools are.

4 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

Oh I understand, i definitely have never noticed any issues with it, but i just don't know what issues i am supposed to look for, it's just that i wondered if it could improve performance, i have a low end pc, so any improvements would be beneficial, but bricking motherboard could definitely bring performance to 0, since no motherboard, no gaming at all xd. thanks for your advice, i really appreciate.

As you see, there are some BIOS versions for stability and security. It seems like one might be able to upgrade to the newest BIOS, unless you need one update before the most recent one. IF your BIOS is behind "2017/11/22 or lower than the BIOS version 3602" you might have some benefit of upgrading. If you don't care about said patches, you can do you on that one. Do note, updating BIOS can be some work if you have NEVER done it before. You might not get better performance in anything, although it might be a smoother experience if you had any issues. Else it's all on the hardware, not the updates.

(unless you want to use software tools that helps in gaming and having decent temps on your system, like FSR or NIS by AMD and Nvidia for gaming)

29 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

While BIOS updates aren't as risky as they used to be I'd still not update unless you're having issues with it.

what issues are we talking about, because since 2017 i have never noticed anything out of the usual, the newer updates say to improve system compatiliby and security, would these features be necessary? is my system less secure without updating?

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

No, that's not usually the case with BIOS updates. They won't affect that much in terms of performance.

I left the front fan in the stock position with the RGB disabled and added three Thermaltake fans (one rear and two top exhaust). 

Oh i see, nice :), i also disabled my RGB due to lack of RGB header but i intend to get a third party rgb controller in the future, i added a corsair 120mm in the back but i intend to give it away to my brother and use a Arctic p12.

6 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

what issues are we talking about, because since 2017 i have never noticed anything out of the usual, the newer updates say to improve system compatiliby and security, would these features be necessary? is my system less secure without updating?

Since everything is working fine there's no need to update, unless you really want to.

Compatibility is probably for hardware released after the board, like RAM or CPU. No need to worry about this. While security could help, it often isn't anything crazy. It's not something to worry about if you have a backup of everything important (which you should have anyway)

Quote or tag me so I get notified 🙂 Also mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

GPU MSI Gaming X RX 5500 XT 8gbCPU Intel Core i5-10400F Motherboard ASRock B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 2x8gb 3200 CL16Storage Crucial MX500 500gb (Windows + some games), Crucial BX500 120gb, Seagate Barracuda Compute 2tb (storage) | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition Monitor AOC C24G2U/BKMouse Logitech G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Steelseries Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad Steelseries QCK

13 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

Since everything is working fine there's no need to update, unless you really want to.

Compatibility is probably for hardware released after the board, like RAM or CPU. No need to worry about this. While security could help, it often isn't anything crazy. It's not something to worry about if you have a backup of everything important (which you should have anyway)

to be honest, i have nothing ''important'' on my pc, i just use it for Anime and gaming in general, not a big deal, i keep most of files i consider important on google drive or external HDD, but thank you for answering my questions, have a great week.

13 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

As you see, there are some BIOS versions for stability and security. It seems like one might be able to upgrade to the newest BIOS, unless you need one update before the most recent one. IF your BIOS is behind "2017/11/22 or lower than the BIOS version 3602" you might have some benefit of upgrading. If you don't care about said patches, you can do you on that one. Do note, updating BIOS can be some work if you have NEVER done it before. You might not get better performance in anything, although it might be a smoother experience if you had any issues. Else it's all on the hardware, not the updates.

(unless you want to use software tools that helps in gaming and having decent temps on your system, like FSR or NIS by AMD and Nvidia for gaming)

yes, it's lower than this version, more specifically BIOS 3402, but i don't know.

13 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

something else, i've seen someone write the following thing: ''You should always flash your BIOS to the latest firmware. Currently it is almost impossible to brick a motherboard flashing the BIOS. Why? ROM chips and BIOS Guard. New BIOS firmware updates and upgrades support and integration of new and older hardware. If you have not upgraded your BIOS in years, chances are that your hardware are running on very basic performance.'' // Is that true?

4 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

something else, i've seen someone write the following thing: ''You should always flash your BIOS to the latest firmware. Currently it is almost impossible to brick a motherboard flashing the BIOS. Why? ROM chips and BIOS Guard. New BIOS firmware updates and upgrades support and integration of new and older hardware. If you have not upgraded your BIOS in years, chances are that your hardware are running on very basic performance.'' // Is that true?

No, it's not. 

21 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

No, it's not. 

Ok thanks. You've been of a lot of help:)

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, FrA123 said:

chances are that your hardware are running on very basic performance.'' // Is that true?

Yes and no.

You have to read the foot notes for the Bios'. 

If there has been several updates that have the description "stability and performance" then it would hold truth.

Manufacturers make bios updates for (typically) good reasons...

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler