Booting windows from external SSD via USB Type C port?

minato

Hello everyone!

Here's the situation.

I want to replace my old Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB for a SN850 of 1TB from WD. I've bought a external SSD from Intenso (250GB), cloned my whole old SSD onto it via AOMEI Backupper but when I choose it as the #1 Boot option it won't boot.

The external SSD is connected via the USB Type C port, is it even possible to boot it that way? If not what other options do I have? 

Every answer will be much apppreciated!

So you cloned your internal to an external, and then you're trying to clone back to the 1TB from that?

5 minutes ago, tkitch said:

So you cloned your internal to an external, and then you're trying to clone back to the 1TB from that?

exactly, is that possible at all?

1 minute ago, minato said:

exactly, is that possible at all?

in theory, yes?

You'd have an easier time getting an adapter for the second NVME (assuming you don't have two nvme slots) and hooking up both at the same time.

Edit:  I'd suggest just installing windows clean onto the 1TB rather than cloning.  Works better. 

11 minutes ago, tkitch said:

in theory, yes?

You'd have an easier time getting an adapter for the second NVME (assuming you don't have two nvme slots) and hooking up both at the same time.

Edit:  I'd suggest just installing windows clean onto the 1TB rather than cloning.  Works better. 

I've ordered the adapter and gonna try it that way then, but I have a lot of programs which I don't want to install all over again.. In which way do you mean works better like in general or?