Looking for a new competitive gaming monitor.

xReqt
Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,
11 minutes ago, xReqt said:

Id also like to add I've seen this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG259QM-Widescreen-Multimedia-DisplayPort/dp/B08CRNXPZL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1 you linked it earlier but its reviews where terrible should I rule this out completely?

Thats the Q1R not the same as the one i linked earlier that was the Q1A

16 minutes ago, xReqt said:

I do like the look and the reviews are somewhat good on the asus but my issue is I am a very competitive gamer I've been told to stick to 144hz due to how obtainable it is to match via fps. I do have the money to do this and I've wanted to try this for quite a while so I may go ahead and do so I just hope I can get as smooth of an experience I am getting atm (Let down by colours on the benq hard and no matter what its so bright) Quick and final question, will this actually feel the same or better in terms of If I am playing a game for instance call of duty at 120 fps on a 144hz monitor to if I was playing it with the 240-280hz, I care mainly for the smoothness and I cannot go behind 144hz and I've tried 120hz and 60 recently and frankly 144hz has ruined me nothing feels good below it. Once again I appreciate your help @SolarNova

You dont need to match FPS to HZ with a VRR capable display, thats the whole point of VRR, to allow the display to adapt to the PC FPS. and thus have a smooth tear free experience with no added input latency like u get with traditional Vsync.

As for how it will feel, the difference will be in how it looks (due to the factory calibration and panel gamut capabilities) and how the pixel response compares to the benQ. How different it will be i cannot say as i cant compare tested result of what ever benQ model u have to the other displays mentioned.

The 280hz The VG259QM will certainly have clearer motion as ull have a proven fast pixel response combined with BFI (ELMB Sync), even when running at 144hz via freesync/ELMB Sync.

9 minutes ago, xReqt said:

I've done a little research and ended up sticking to 144-165hz max so I will either get the £150 or carry on researching using the website you linked, thanks again.

Good luck.

Hi,

I've owned a BenQ XL2411P since 2019 and I'm looking to upgrade in quality, I know a basic amount about monitors so therefore I figured i'd post here to see some opinions.

I am looking for something within these lines:

24-25inches

144hz-165hz (I can achieve that in most games at low-med around 130-150 fps unless its Esports which I get easily 200+) (Specs for reference are 2070 super ryzen 7 3700x 32gb ram)

IPS (I'd like decent colours as the previous monitor has horrible colours)

1ms (Very firm with this due to playing against other players any delay is a disadvantage)

Budget is up to £230 willing to spend a little more but the monitor will need to be extremely worth it (I can purchase from Currys UK,Amazon UK, Overclockers UK and Argos UK)

Any help is greatly appreciated 

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

16GB DDR4 Crucial ram (2133mhz)

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

----------------------------------------------------------

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

Few misconceptions to clear up.

18 minutes ago, xReqt said:

IPS (I'd like decent colours as the previous monitor has horrible colours)

This is more down to calibration than panel type. However TN is kinda thing of the past so ur going to be looking at IPS anyway.

A cheapo monitor can look like garbage out of the box, but once calibrated can produce colors within its gamut accurately.

18 minutes ago, xReqt said:

1ms (Very firm with this due to playing against other players any delay is a disadvantage)

Very few monitors actually can achieve 1ms average response time with usable overdrive settings.

You could buy 10 different monitors all advertising 1ms and they will all be completely different and slower than 1ms.

While advertised as 1ms they are more than likely between 2.5ms and 5 ms.

20 minutes ago, xReqt said:

Budget is up to £230

As i mention in my pinned guide. This kind of budget is difficult to work with, there are very few 'good' options within the few reviewed in that price point.

Of 222 monitors reviewed by rtings, only 43 come up as under $/£300, and only 19 under £/$230.

These are 2 i would suggest u look at. They both come with a relatively good factory calibration so should look good. They are high refresh, 1080p , small at 24" , and have respectable pixel response time.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/aoc-24g2-vs-asus-tuf-gaming-vg249q1a/5503/24319?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

The AOC is significantly cheaper at @ ~£150, while the Asus is ~£250, imo the Asus isnt worth the extra cost.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I've seen these before, They seem like decent options but if necessary I can push my budget to 250-260 if they'd provide better options. @SolarNova Also appreciate the response.

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

28 minutes ago, xReqt said:

I can push my budget to 250-260 if they'd provide better options

Afraid not, i checked for those reviewed under £300.

That being said, at ~£280 u can get the Asus TUF gaming VG259QM, thats a 240hz (280hz OC) 1080p display. is HDR 400 capable...just.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-gaming-vg259qm

You only get something significantly better at 24"-25" once u hit £400-£500 with the ROG Swift PG259QN and Alienware AW2521H both 360hz display. They come with perfect out of the box calibration, exceptional pixel response of 2-3ms, and are HDR 400 capable.

IMO you should probably either get the £150 144hz AOC 24g2, or the £280 280hz Asus vg259qm

EDIT: just realized something else.. The VG259QM has the rarely implemented ELMB SYNC, meaning u can use both freesync AND BFI at the same time making the moving image exceptional clear. If ur very much looking for clarity for competitive gaming thats the one to choose despite is £280 price tag.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@SolarNova To use a 240hz monitor smoothly don't you need to match its hz in fps (240hz = 240fps) for the smooth experience?

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

15 minutes ago, xReqt said:

@SolarNova To use a 240hz monitor smoothly don't you need to match its hz in fps (240hz = 240fps) for the smooth experience?

If ur running VRR (freesync of g-sync) then no. The hz will adapt to the FPS. E.G you run a game at 136fps, the monitor will run at 136hz.

With the above mention 280hz display u want to keep FPS above 85 to get full use out of ELMB Sync. however. So tune ur game settings accordingly. You should be capable of that with a 2070S at 1080p.

I do like the look and the reviews are somewhat good on the asus but my issue is I am a very competitive gamer I've been told to stick to 144hz due to how obtainable it is to match via fps. I do have the money to do this and I've wanted to try this for quite a while so I may go ahead and do so I just hope I can get as smooth of an experience I am getting atm (Let down by colours on the benq hard and no matter what its so bright) Quick and final question, will this actually feel the same or better in terms of If I am playing a game for instance call of duty at 120 fps on a 144hz monitor to if I was playing it with the 240-280hz, I care mainly for the smoothness and I cannot go behind 144hz and I've tried 120hz and 60 recently and frankly 144hz has ruined me nothing feels good below it. Once again I appreciate your help @SolarNova

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

Id also like to add I've seen this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VG259QM-Widescreen-Multimedia-DisplayPort/dp/B08CRNXPZL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1 you linked it earlier but its reviews where terrible should I rule this out completely?

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

I've done a little research and ended up sticking to 144-165hz max so I will either get the £150 or carry on researching using the website you linked, thanks again.

PC SPECS

I7-8700 (non K)

GTX 1070

Corsair H100x AIO

Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Gamemax Falcon (White)

Peripherals

Logitech G305

Corsair Strafe MX RED

Blue Yeti /w arm

JVC (Headphones)

11 minutes ago, xReqt said:

Thats the Q1R not the same as the one i linked earlier that was the Q1A

16 minutes ago, xReqt said:

You dont need to match FPS to HZ with a VRR capable display, thats the whole point of VRR, to allow the display to adapt to the PC FPS. and thus have a smooth tear free experience with no added input latency like u get with traditional Vsync.

As for how it will feel, the difference will be in how it looks (due to the factory calibration and panel gamut capabilities) and how the pixel response compares to the benQ. How different it will be i cannot say as i cant compare tested result of what ever benQ model u have to the other displays mentioned.

The 280hz The VG259QM will certainly have clearer motion as ull have a proven fast pixel response combined with BFI (ELMB Sync), even when running at 144hz via freesync/ELMB Sync.

9 minutes ago, xReqt said:

Good luck.