Will this card work in this eGPU enclosure?

Invincible Sugar
Go to solution Solved by Invincible Sugar,

UPDATE: Yes, this card will work with this enclosure. The card is 75w and the enclosure is apparently 65w so, I suppose if you really push the card to its limit like mining or folding at home it may not work but all I need is extra monitors and for that purpose it's working perfectly right now!

unknown-45.png.b2044586b83487e0c598ff0d96bda04c.png

Hi. I need a new eGPU with two TB3 ports so I can chain it in my existing setup. I am aware of bandwidth limitations but I've done this before with a different brand of enclosure without issue; for my use case the bandwidth is not an issue.

To my knowledge there are no eGPU specific enclosures with two TB3 ports specifically because demanding workloads would suffer and manufacturers don't want the grieve. There may even be some industry agreement to do this, I don't know. However nothing in theory prohibits multiple eGPUs on one chain. Yes I know TB4 allows hubs making this a moot point but my system is only TB3.

This TB3 enclosure, which is not marketed as supporting eGPUs, has 2 TB3 ports. The GPU I want (GTX 1650) pulls 75 watts and doesn't seem to need more power than the bus in this enclosure can support. But before I press fire on the order button I'd like to double check with the community if there's something I'm overlooking that would make this incompatible.

Thanks!

Enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJHLB4/

Card: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881YZJ45/

From the Amazon page:

TB31PCIEX16 does not work with graphics cards.

Atha, StarTech.com Support

EDIT: Someone else in the reviews showed it working on a Mac with an RX550, however another customer said they tried with a GTX970 and an external PSU and that did NOT work. Seems like it's a toss up as to whether it will work, so it's up to you if you feel like risking it.

It's not really much cheaper than a used Razer Core X or something like that though, which specifically DOES support graphics cards.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

From the Amazon page:

TB31PCIEX16 does not work with graphics cards.

Atha, StarTech.com Support

EDIT: Someone else in the reviews showed it working on a Mac with an RX550, however another customer said they tried with a GTX970 and an external PSU and that did NOT work. Seems like it's a toss up as to whether it will work, so it's up to you if you feel like risking it.

It's not really much cheaper than a used Razer Core X or something like that though, which specifically DOES support graphics cards.

Thanks. But...

1) Razor Core X has one TB3 port, not 2.

2) I'm currently in a lawsuit with Razor because the previous Core X I bought killed my graphics card on installation and they refused to amicably cover the cost of the card, despite their clear legal obligation to do so.

I think as long as the power requirements of the card are met by the enclosure it shouldn't matter what kind of card it is. And of course it has to physically fit. Of course purchasing both from Amazon if there is an incompatibility issue I should be able to return them without much headache.

Oh, well then yeah I guess you just have to run the risk that it doesn't work.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Oh, well then yeah I guess you just have to run the risk that it doesn't work.

My setup is unique, I would say about 40% of my questions online have actually received useful responses. I appreciate your effort, I really do. But I guess I'm kind of used to just figuring things out on my own at this point. People don't seem to like unusual setups and would rather just call you an idiot for doing something like chaining multiple egpus on a single thunderbolt 3 connection rather than doing things the way they would... eh.

Here's a picture of my desk, btw.

20211012_133629.thumb.jpg.7b022351a718fa03fff461441972425d.jpg

It's not all running off one system, but the majority run off a laptop. Uh, 11 of 16 run off the laptop. 🙂

UPDATE: Yes, this card will work with this enclosure. The card is 75w and the enclosure is apparently 65w so, I suppose if you really push the card to its limit like mining or folding at home it may not work but all I need is extra monitors and for that purpose it's working perfectly right now!

unknown-45.png.b2044586b83487e0c598ff0d96bda04c.png