Looking for a small NAS / Home Server Case

VectorTech

Hey guys!

I'm looking to take some of the hardware I have laying around my house and create a NAS. I currently have 2x 4U server enclosers (with servers in them) but I'm looking to get rid of them cause they're just too big and bulky.

I'm looking for something that ideally has 1-2 optical disk drive bays, so I can either install and optical drive for ripping media or more likely, a hot swap bay similar to those you'd find in an enterprise server for swapping in / out hard drives. Additionally I'd like if it could accommodate at least 4x 3.5". Looks aren't the biggest factor (so a plain black box will do), as this will be tucked away in a corner of my house, but size definitely is a factor. I'd like something relatively small, with good cooling capabilities as this will also be hosting several VM's 24/7 and I want to make sure it stays cool.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks!

-Jack

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

Define R5 is probably the correct answer (i think i'll migrate my server from my old NZXT case to an r5 soon-ish). I've also been eyeing the silverstone CS381, but it's pretty expensive.

ASU