Live USB Boot Wipes System

RocketNinja15

Inspired by Linus, I gave linux a go. I am running a 2015 Mac book air with it bootcamped to a windows installation along with Mac. I attempted to make Ubuntu a live usb, it look a while, then it worked. Come back to my computer with my usb unplugged and decide to boot up into windows. I turn it on and boot into Ubuntu. At that point I thought it had just stored it in the memory or something, but when I tried to get into BIOS using the option key, the only drive to be found was the EFI boot, MacOS and Windows, gone, I then look at my partions in Ubuntu, but it is all in my one 500gb drive. I really need to fix this as I have a lot of important data, and work on there.

How import is the data? If its very important id send it off to data recovery for the best shot. But since its a ssd, it likely ran a trim when the filesystem was being made, and all the data is permanently gone.

You got backups? 

As above.

For the record, the assertion "Live USB Boot Wipes System" is absolutely false!

You're blaming the Ubuntu installer for the your own bad choices. And if you don't have backups then your bad practices are to blame here, first and foremost.

Here's my comment at AskUbuntu that should explain it all:

An Ubuntu live session - Try Ubuntu - as the name implies never makes any change. When you choose to install it'll do just that. But then at some point it'll ask you what to do, "erase and install...", "install alongside..." or "something else". Of course, if you choose "erase and install..." it'll do just that, i.e. erase everything else and install Ubuntu. Why are you now surprised?