PSU Tier list

jrivers010

took me a few times of going back and forth to catch where you were getting confused.

i guess you were looking for seasonic 'GM' on the list, but you should be searching for 'FOCUS' instead, which makes it an easy outcome: all the 'FOCUS' units are in the tier A (some in the low prio units, but in A none the less.)

Since I was in the market recently and purchased a GM-850, this is what I learned so far:

GM and GX shares platform and all the parts, including the fluid dynamic bearing fan.

Differences are:

1. semi modular vs full modular

2. GX has "hybrid mode" button, GM doesn't (stuck to "hybrid mode" button pushed in)

3. 10 yrs vs 7 years warranty.

If GM is in different tier from GX, these 3 difference must be the reason, which makes me wonder how reliable the "tier lists" are...

By the way, I personally like semi-modular PSUs because hard-wired important power draw cables actually adds robustness to it. Burnt connectors due to bad contact is not rare if you read through the newegg reviews.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

took me a few times of going back and forth to catch where you were getting confused.

i guess you were looking for seasonic 'GM' on the list, but you should be searching for 'FOCUS' instead, which makes it an easy outcome: all the 'FOCUS' units are in the tier A (some in the low prio units, but in A none the less.)

ah i see . looks like the Focus and the Core units are separate units. i was just searching based on GM as you assumed.

sorry for leaving a reply that didn't address your original question. I saw from the most recent version of tier list announcing that Focus GM is being demoted from the tier that all Focus GM/GX/PX belonged to, and I assumed you saw the new version of tier list and asking this question.

11 minutes ago, MarkCaplan said:

sorry for leaving a reply that didn't address your original question. I saw from the most recent version of tier list announcing that Focus GM is being demoted from the tier that all Focus GM/GX/PX belonged to, and I assumed you saw the new version of tier list and asking this question.

where do you see this info?

i dont see it anywhere on the tier list

I have a GM-550 and I'm absolutely chuffed. It is super solid and quiet. I pull at most 325 watts at full load with my system, and the fan never kicks into audible, and stays just above room temperature.

48 minutes ago, jrivers010 said:

where do you see this info?

i dont see it anywhere on the tier list

I stumbled upon the "planned changes" page or something like that but I cannot find it anymore.

I believe the author of the tier list is one of members here - hope he finds this thread and direct us there. And perhaps explain the reason behind the GX demotion for us??