New cable modem suggestions for 2gig service.

Krebs20

New user here so please let me know if I need to move the post or change something. 

The short question. Anyone know a good cable modem with 2 2.5 Lan ports? 

I would like to hook up one directly to my primary pc. And the other to the home router/WiFi. I have the ultimate goal of running network cat6 to every room in the home. I plan to put them into a patch panel. Then I can just plug in the ports I need to be active.

My local internet provider (GCI) advertises (up to) 2 Gig internet service to my home.  

The provided modem is a Hitron as linked below. 
https://us.hitrontech.com/products/service-providers/coda-4680-cable-modem-router/

The modem comes with 4 gigabit connections and a WiFi that is questionable. Most days I do test my speed out I'm maxing out the Lan speed not the modem. I really want to see how fast it can go. 

The build in WiFi is questionable quality at best. My lab top hates it. I Can never get a stable connection for gaming. My wife and my phone will just stop getting the internet randomly and it's better to leave them off the WiFi most of the time. My Roku loves it however. Never have any issues with streaming quality. I've been dealing with workarounds for now because the roku is the most important device for the family and I have not hard wired a line to it yet. I have a asus WiFi router that everything is perfectly happy except the roku.... 

8 minutes ago, Krebs20 said:

I would like to hook up one directly to my primary pc. And the other to the home router/WiFi. I have the ultimate goal of running network cat6 to every room in the home. I plan to put them into a patch panel. Then I can just plug in the ports I need to be active.

Thats not really how modems work. You want only the router connected to the modem. The second port on some modems is for teaming, and isn't needed with 2.5gbe.

How about the netgear cm1200 or the arris s33?

I guess in my years I always dealt with a route modem combo and never thought of the ports that way. So a 2.5 connected to a router with multiple 2.5 would be what I want to find? 

2 minutes ago, Krebs20 said:

I guess in my years I always dealt with a route modem combo and never thought of the ports that way. So a 2.5 connected to a router with multiple 2.5 would be what I want to find? 

Yea thats what you need to do. Id probably go unifi here, and get a UDM pro as the router, then some of their access points.

2 minutes ago, Krebs20 said:

Yeah you want something like the S33 for Arris, it has a 2.5 Gig port. Then you need a router with a 2.5 Gig WAN (Internet) port. Older Docsis 3.1 cable modems had multiple ports because the idea was you would do link aggregation across the multiple connections to get faster speeds. But then the 2.5 and 5 Gbps network standards were released and having multiple Ethernet ports on a modem ended up ending. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I used to use an older Arris and I was very happy with it. I will look into the s33. Thank you wizard. And Donut