Blow or Suck? How do you clean your rig?

Weezy

I notice Linus uses compressed air to clean out a dusty PC in a lot of his videos. I've heard it's better to use a vacuum, that using compressed air can push dust and debris into areas where you don't want them. How do you de-dust yours?

Intel Core i7-11700K || Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti || 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT & 2TB Samsung 980 Pro || Adata DDR4 3200 4x8GB || Asrock Z590-C/ac

@Weezy I personally use both, depends on how bad it is. But if you are worried about debris getting into places you can buy an anti-static vacuum. Buy one of those so that you don't build up a ton of static in and around your case. Or if you have caked on dust in the bottom of your case and other places you can just use a micro-fiber cloth. But all depends on what you are comfortable with.

Blow. I use an electric duster, it blows much harder than a vacuum sucks and can dislodge dust in places a vacuum can't get good suction on. Downside is you need to take the PC outside to do it if you don't want to blow dust all over the room where a vacuum will just suck it all up.

30 minutes ago, Weezy said:

I've heard it's better to use a vacuum, that using compressed air can push dust and debris into areas where you don't want them.

Not really a problem with an electric duster. There's enough pressure that it blows any dust clear of the PC. I'm not sure about cans of compressed air and how much pressure they have. You'll always get dust building up in little nooks and crannies as those are just the places where it will naturally settle and in my experience blowing will do a better job of getting rid of it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

52 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

compressed air

Do you mean sub-zero toxic chemicals pressurized in a can?

One of the most common chemicals in those cans is LIQUID PETROL.

Liquefied petroleum gas is used as fuel gas in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles.

I once inhaled petrol and suffocated from it,at least i didn't inhale much of it...

I looked through as much cans as i could in shops online and offline - all of them had really bad chemicals.

LPG can cause cold burns to the skin and it can act as an asphyxiant at high concentrations.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Both, first suck off the heavy dust with the vacuum cleaner, after that blow it out with canned air... using a brush with it for sticky dust... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

I use my air compressor which is regulated to 150psi so with an air gun every bit of dust goes away.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

13 hours ago, Weezy said:

that using compressed air can push dust and debris into areas where you don't want them

then go outside it won't be a problem then.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have used vacuum, although don't quite recommend it. It works on some parts like the outside or cover of said parts.

but it's harder and you need more force compared to blowing and then be able to clean if one needs to.

also when blowing, there is some cans that suck **** or doesn't do it's job, but if you do have a blower then that should be a lot easier and of course do it outside or in a room you don't want to mess up. More so if the parts are NOT yours with dust you don't know where it comes from or where it has been. As it will lay in the air for a bit, if you blow it inside a room.

13 hours ago, Vishera said:

Do you mean sub-zero toxic chemicals pressurized in a can?

One of the most common chemicals in those cans is LIQUID PETROL.

I once inhaled petrol and suffocated from it,at least i didn't inhale much of it...

I looked through as much cans as i could in shops online and offline - all of them had really bad chemicals.

In the USA and probably Canada as well they're filled with R152a.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1-Difluoroethane

You have to intentionally misuse it or release an unreasonable amount into a small unventilated area to cause health issues. I can't speak for the rest of the world and what they use.

I have an air compressor and use that with a fine tipped blow gun. I can get things pretty clean with it, anything left would need mechanical cleaning with a soft brush.

I use a dry-vac with the hose on the blow side to blow the dust out. Blowing dust out does a much better job at cleaning dust off than sucking. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I blow, and use a super soft toothbrush for anything I can't blow. Work very good on small fan like laptop fan.

Appreciate all of the replies, wanted to make sure I was doing any possible damage by blowing it out. 

Intel Core i7-11700K || Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti || 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT & 2TB Samsung 980 Pro || Adata DDR4 3200 4x8GB || Asrock Z590-C/ac

Bought a compucleaner blower for use on fans and heatsinks. Clean filters using a soft brush. Got some harder brushes for stubborn dust.

Used to use cans of air which were great to clean my old blower card but the price just adds up, ditched the cans and the card 😛

finally escaped fm2+

If you have something heavier than regular house dust, you either aren't cleaning often enough or you have bigger issues. In latter case, try to fix the bigger issue first.

I use combination. Canned air to get dust moving and vacuum to suck it from air, filters and such. And ofc regularly cleaning the whole room.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My trusty compressor blows away anything it wants to. All tho im a bit of a "nazi" on the fans so i tape them down so they dont spin the wrong way.. Might just be me from previous bad experiences when i worked as a IT-guy. Never vacuumed, never really seen the point outside having small crevases or small spaces.. But then again KOMPRESSSORRR XD

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Ideally, it's a 2 person job, one person using a vacuum IVO where you are working, and you--using a high-power compressor jet of air--blowing dust/debris free.  Unless of course, you have one of those gucci workbench setups with an overhead vac that can constantly be pulling air away from where you are working...

Both for sure. Suck the dog hair out and then blow the dust.

Either way I like a little pep in my step when cleaning gear!!

robin-williams-cleaning.gif.7c3fad71c34dd3f6974f72876185a3cb.gif

Bring PC outside. Blow.
Take off the cooler if needs be, brush up the fan blades with an old toothbrush if the caked up dust doesn't want to go away...

Dust filters on the intakes of your PC also help a lot.

Vacuum can create ESD (get one that specifically says it is ESD safe), especially if you use that nylon brush at the end of the handle to brush up the dust before sucking it away.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 12/7/2021 at 1:32 AM, Weezy said:

I've heard it's better to use a vacuum

Where did you hear that? Pretty sure that is not what they say... if you care about ESD.

Blow is better, as long as it's just air.  Well, I'd suggest a mix of blow and sucking. 

If you use a vacuum, you are kinda forced to bring the vacuum close to the components and use a brush or something to release the dust and then have it sucked by the vacuum.

It's a really bad idea to touch the board or components with the nozzle as the materials in the nozzle can build up static electricity. Also, besides that, vacuum can be powerful enough to break off surface mounted components. or you could have an accident where the nozzle slips from your hands and hits the component breaking something on the part.

I prefer to use a brush to release the most stubborn dust and then use a vacuum cleaner to suck air from around 10-20 cm (5-10 inches) away from components 

As for heatsinks, I usually take them off and run water through them - I have a shower head with multiple "presets" and I can set it on the high pressure very concentrated jet "preset" and run water through the fins.

Then use a hair dryer to dry them out,  or I just leave them 10 minutes or so by the stove while I'm cooking something.

10 hours ago, Weezy said:

Appreciate all of the replies, wanted to make sure I was doing any possible damage by blowing it out. 

As long as you use a clean source of air you'll be fine. Hold your fan when blowing them so they don't spin past their rated speed. Use a filter at the exit of your air compressor to trap any water. Canned air is good but, it may not be recycled. Always nice yo have one on hand to clean your keyboard or some like blow from time to time.

Using compressed air for the fans then vacuum the rest.

(\/) (°,,,,°) (\/)

Vacuum the bigger parts/spots, dust off with a cloth and clean the fragile parts like motherboard with a bigger size modelling brush.

Never used compressed air, I dislike it.