PC crashes when loading things in games

My PC occasionally crashes when I'm playing games.

When it crashes, it gets shut-down abruptly, like what would happen if I pulled the plug out of the socket, or an overheat protection. No blue screen, freezes, not even error messages on the subsequent start up. Just a sudden power down,.

Specifically, it seems to always happen when I'm loading something, here are some examples that I've noticed:

• Shop Titans - once while loading up the game from Steam
  • Subnautica: Below Zero - multiple times when I'm picking an item up into my inventory, probably a couple times when I'm entering/leaving a vehicle or a base
  • GTA V - couple times when loading a mission, iirc
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - couple times when loading into the simulation

I've also noticed that once the game has been loaded, it seems to run fine if I avoid doing the problematic interactions like picking up stuff in Subnautica. I never get crashes while doing general computing (web surfing, coding up and running stuff in PyCharm, using Microsoft Office etc.).

I'm pretty sure it is not an overheating related issue, as the crashes happen even for low-end games, and my temperatures never exceed 80 for CPU and 85 for GPU (they're usually around 60-70 for CPU and 75-80 for GPU).

Here are my PC specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm AIO
  • Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P
  • Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini
  • 2 x (G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC) - 4 x 8GB sticks in total, XMP disabled

• EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W

• 500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD

• 4TB Toshiba HDD

I suspect it has something to do with the RAM, as I got some issues when I enabled XMP (Windows took forever to start up), but I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics a couple times and can't seem to find any issue. Don't think its a GPU, PSU, or storage issue either, as I've had them as part of an upgrade to my old Dell pre-built (i7-4770), and there were no crashes then. The crashes only started when I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM into the current configuration. I got more performance but occasional crashes since then.

Any ideas what is the issue, and how can I fix this?

6 minutes ago, Damiangjy said:

My PC occasionally crashes when I'm playing games.

When it crashes, it gets shut-down abruptly, like what would happen if I pulled the plug out of the socket, or an overheat protection. No blue screen, freezes, not even error messages on the subsequent start up. Just a sudden power down,.

Specifically, it seems to always happen when I'm loading something, here are some examples that I've noticed:

• Shop Titans - once while loading up the game from Steam
  • Subnautica: Below Zero - multiple times when I'm picking an item up into my inventory, probably a couple times when I'm entering/leaving a vehicle or a base
  • GTA V - couple times when loading a mission, iirc
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - couple times when loading into the simulation

I've also noticed that once the game has been loaded, it seems to run fine if I avoid doing the problematic interactions like picking up stuff in Subnautica. I never get crashes while doing general computing (web surfing, coding up and running stuff in PyCharm, using Microsoft Office etc.).

I'm pretty sure it is not an overheating related issue, as the crashes happen even for low-end games, and my temperatures never exceed 80 for CPU and 85 for GPU (they're usually around 60-70 for CPU and 75-80 for GPU).

Here are my PC specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm AIO
  • Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P
  • Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini
  • 2 x (G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC) - 4 x 8GB sticks in total, XMP disabled

• EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W

• 500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD

• 4TB Toshiba HDD

I suspect it has something to do with the RAM, as I got some issues when I enabled XMP (Windows took forever to start up), but I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics a couple times and can't seem to find any issue. Don't think its a GPU, PSU, or storage issue either, as I've had them as part of an upgrade to my old Dell pre-built (i7-4770), and there were no crashes then. The crashes only started when I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, and RAM into the current configuration. I got more performance but occasional crashes since then.

Any ideas what is the issue, and how can I fix this?

When you upgraded the CPU, motherboard, and RAM what was the previous system configuration? Did you do a clean Windows install?

For example, if you carried over the Windows install from the Intel pre-built to your current build that can cause all kinds of strange issues.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

When you upgraded the CPU, motherboard, and RAM what was the previous system configuration? Did you do a clean Windows install?

For example, if you carried over the Windows install from the Intel pre-built to your current build that can cause all kinds of strange issues.

The previous config was an i7-4770, 16 GB of DDR3 (not sure exactly what model, but it came with the pre-built), and a Dell OEM motherboard. 

I also did a clean install of windows after rebuilding my computer, and it is installed on the SSD. (Basically wiped the SSD to start all over again when I moved over)

5 hours ago, Damiangjy said:

The previous config was an i7-4770, 16 GB of DDR3 (not sure exactly what model, but it came with the pre-built), and a Dell OEM motherboard. 

I also did a clean install of windows after rebuilding my computer, and it is installed on the SSD. (Basically wiped the SSD to start all over again when I moved over)

Okay, that's a good start then.

Maybe try something like Memtest for the RAM. Or try running with just one set of RAM sticks (so 2x8 GB) to see if it behaves any differently.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15