Low FPS after getting a new monitor

MIghtyXG

I just bought a new monitor for my setup and replaced one of my old ones yesterday, and now I'm having very low fps across all my games.

Before the switch, I was running a 27 inch (2k@165 with Gsync) and a 23 inch (60hz) monitors without any issue, on a Gigabyte Aorus 3080. I just bought a LG ultrawide 34 inch monitor (160hz with Gysnc compitable) and replaced my 23 inch with it. However, now most of my games are running @30-45 fps, and I have no clue on what's going on... For example, I used to get around 150 fps when playing Destiny 2, and now I can only get 40-50 fps. My Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark gets 47 fps, and all my other games are seeing similar fps drops.

I tried to disable G-Sync and disable first/second monitor to run a single monitor, and played around with game graphics, and it seems my fps would barely pass 50. I don't think it's the displayport cable issue since I'm still using the same cables as before. Has anyone had similar issues before, or know wth is going on? Thanks a ton!

And what monitor are  you running  your games on? What is the resolution of the monitors? What was the resolution of the 23" vs the 34"  you replaced it with?

34inch 2k monitor has a hihger pixel count, so yeah your performance will be decreased.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3440x1440 (i'm assuming) is the res of the Ultrawide you got? FPS will be lower over a standard 1440p display as there are many more pixels to process, however 40-50fps in D2 seems quite low.  

Can you provide graphs of GPU/CPU usage, clockspeed and temperature over time while in game?

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

3440x1440 (i'm assuming) is the res of the Ultrawide you got? FPS will be lower over a standard 1440p display as there are many more pixels to process, however 40-50fps in D2 seems quite low.  

Can you provide graphs of GPU/CPU usage, clockspeed and temperature over time while in game?

Unless they are running out of vram which is entirely possible then these fps are not uncommon.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Unless they are running out of vram which is entirely possible then these fps are not uncommon.

I played D2 for 4000 or so hours on a 3440x1440 ultrawide (i'm free, finally!) and at the end it was with a 2080 Super. Performance was great even with the settings maxed out in game. With a 3080 he shouldn't be seeing those numbers if everything is working as it should. 

13 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I played D2 for 4000 or so hours on a 3440x1440 ultrawide (i'm free, finally!) and at the end it was with a 2080 Super. Performance was great even with the settings maxed out in game. With a 3080 he shouldn't be seeing those numbers if everything is working as it should. 

Didn't see they had a 3080 my bad

42 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

And what monitor are  you running  your games on? What is the resolution of the monitors? What was the resolution of the 23" vs the 34"  you replaced it with?

38 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

34inch 2k monitor has a hihger pixel count, so yeah your performance will be decreased.

The 23 was 1920x1080, and the new 34 is 3440x1440. However before the switch I've always gamed on the 27 inch, which is 2k, same as the 34 inch, just wider. After the switch, I also tried to game on the 27 inch and the fps drops to 40s as well, and it used to run at 150-160 fps. Plus, I'm running on a 3080 so I don't think GPU is the issue here

38 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I can try to get those the graphs today when I'm back from work, I'm running 9900k + 3080 unclocked, the GPU was oc'd but I set it back to default when troubleshooting this issue. tbh I don't think it's any hardware bottleneck but probably a configuration issue?

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

And here I thought 2k was 1920x1080...

That's 1080p my man

1 minute ago, MIghtyXG said:

I've always gamed on the 27 inch, which is 2k, same as the 34 inch, just wider. 

~3.7M pixels vs. nearly 5M pixels. This is a common misconception but they are completely different resolutions and and a drop in performance is expected. 

However as I also mentioned above, I still feel like performance shouldn't be that different, at least in Destiny 2. I played that game with a 34" ultrawide on a GTX 1070 then an RTX2080 Super and saw much better performance. 

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

And here I thought 2k was 1920x1080...

I don't like it but commonly you see people say 2560x1440 is "2K". It makes little sense.

Technically speaking, 2K or DCI 2K which is an actual standard is 2048x1080 so much closer to what you were thinking.

@rickeoI knew what he was getting at. But I also hate the term 2k for its vagueness.

Edit: Also to say that 2560x1440 is basically the same resolution as 3440x1440 and expect similar performance is just silly. Let me bust out calc.exe here...

3,686,400 pixels vs 4,953,600 pixels... yup there is a noticeable increase in number of pixels that need to be driven.

Have you 

1 hour ago, MIghtyXG said:

I tried to disable G-Sync and disable first/second monitor to run a single monitor, and played around with game graphics

When you were testing just using a single monitor, did you try setting your resolution to the same as the monitor it replaced? IE: the 27" 2560x1440p not the 23" 1920x1080? I assume you were gaming only on the 2560x1440 monitor correct?

1 hour ago, MIghtyXG said:

I just bought a new monitor for my setup and replaced one of my old ones yesterday, and now I'm having very low fps across all my games.

Before the switch, I was running a 27 inch (2k@165 with Gsync) and a 23 inch (60hz) monitors without any issue, on a Gigabyte Aorus 3080. I just bought a LG ultrawide 34 inch monitor (160hz with Gysnc compitable) and replaced my 23 inch with it. However, now most of my games are running @30-45 fps, and I have no clue on what's going on... For example, I used to get around 150 fps when playing Destiny 2, and now I can only get 40-50 fps. My Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark gets 47 fps, and all my other games are seeing similar fps drops.

I tried to disable G-Sync and disable first/second monitor to run a single monitor, and played around with game graphics, and it seems my fps would barely pass 50. I don't think it's the displayport cable issue since I'm still using the same cables as before. Has anyone had similar issues before, or know wth is going on? Thanks a ton!

How bout you try Display Driver Uninstaller, uninstall all the Nvdia driver and reinstall it. 

It might help or it might be a waste of time 

1 minute ago, buttnakedman said:

How bout you try Display Driver Uninstaller, uninstall all the Nvdia driver and reinstall it. 

It might help or it might be a waste of time 

Was just coming back to say this resolved the issue and saw your post, I reinstalled my nvidia driver after using DDU and now I'm good!

44 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Have you 

When you were testing just using a single monitor, did you try setting your resolution to the same as the monitor it replaced? IE: the 27" 2560x1440p not the 23" 1920x1080? I assume you were gaming only on the 2560x1440 monitor correct?

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

Seems it was a driver issue, reinstalling nvidia driver fixed it! I should have thought about it earlier but I wasn't expecting replacing a monitor would cause any issue

4 minutes ago, MIghtyXG said:

Was just coming back to say this resolved the issue and saw your post, I reinstalled my nvidia driver after using DDU and now I'm good!

Nice

23 hours ago, buttnakedman said:

Nice

On 12/6/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bad5ector said:

Have you 

On 12/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, rickeo said:

I don't like it but commonly you see people say 2560x1440 is "2K". It makes little sense.

Technically speaking, 2K or DCI 2K which is an actual standard is 2048x1080 so much closer to what you were thinking.

hi folks I'm back... apparently the issue can be temporally resolved by a nvidia driver reinstall or update, but will come back after waking up from sleep/restarting...

what I also noticed is that the GPU isn't really trying much when I launch a game, the 3080's GPU clock will stay at around 200-500 MHz, and the Mem clock will max out. When the game just started or is loading, the GPU clock will go up to 1000 for a few secs, but 99% of time it will stay around 270. When I open up an UI that's not graphic intense (character equipment, map views, etc), the FPS will go back to the game's max, but once I switch back to the main game, it will go down to 30-40 again.

Reinstalling the nvidia driver, or even just update it, will fix the issue until I restart, or put the PC to sleep. The game will play at 150-160 fps until then. I think it means this is not a hardware issue but more a software or some settings that need to be updated, any ideas?

1 minute ago, MIghtyXG said:

I think it means this is not a hardware issue but more a software or some settings that need to be updated, any ideas?

FFR my friend... FFR.

FFR my friend... FFR.

Sorry I'm not familiar with that term... what is FFR? is this a common issue?

47 minutes ago, MIghtyXG said:

what is FFR? is this a common issue?

It's an old term we used to use in the shop. To the customer we'd say it meant F-disk/format/reinstall... but we meant it as "fucking format, reinstall".

It's an old term we used to use in the shop. To the customer we'd say it meant F-disk/format/reinstall... but we meant it as "fucking format, reinstall".

Lmao got it... I'm out of ideas at this point, maybe time for me to clean reinstall windows again if it continues...