Pcie slot clip broken/doesnt work

Herr q
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
  1. Realistically no, technically yes. It depends on how it's actually broken and if you can source the replacement part which isn't incredibility likely unfortunately.
  2. If it's screwed in I wouldn't sweat it. Might want to avoid laying the chassis down on the side oppose the motherboard though.
  3. Unless you have a frequent tendency to move your computer around a lot it shouldn't but if somehow it did issues could range from no POST to potentially hardware damage if the two wrong pins were to ever short together.
  4. That's a tricky subject that you might be better off testing to see if any of your applications would see an impact. Older generation GPUs never needed a full x16 slot but there's been some speculation with new cards that it may be necessary in certain applications. You're best to test it.

Motherboard : X570 Aorus Ultra

GPU XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Black

I bought a new case so i did transfer everything and at the end when plugging gpu  i realised the pcie slot clip is very weak, flappy and doesnt click anymore basically doesnt work. I did screw gpu and everything when i got pc to normal position a pushed it in and pc posted everything worked even though VGA led was on all the time until shutdown with no issues.

My questions   

1. Is the pcie clip repairable? I never heard of that.
  2. How bad it is to run it like this? Card is 2,41kg/5,31lb
  3. If the card naturally slides of the slot what could happen?
  4. There is 2nd pcie 4.0 slot X8 slot on motherboard will there be a bottleneck in performance? I watch some videos but didnt find anything that really conviced me

I can buy a new MB but i remade pc 2 times already past month i dont want to do it again 😄

1. Realistically no, technically yes. It depends on how it's actually broken and if you can source the replacement part which isn't incredibility likely unfortunately.
  2. If it's screwed in I wouldn't sweat it. Might want to avoid laying the chassis down on the side oppose the motherboard though.
  3. Unless you have a frequent tendency to move your computer around a lot it shouldn't but if somehow it did issues could range from no POST to potentially hardware damage if the two wrong pins were to ever short together.
  4. That's a tricky subject that you might be better off testing to see if any of your applications would see an impact. Older generation GPUs never needed a full x16 slot but there's been some speculation with new cards that it may be necessary in certain applications. You're best to test it.

As far as I can tell, the clip on the slot simply holds the card in place. As long as you don't shift the system to much, you'll probably be fine. However, I'm not sure what happens if, say, the gpu slips out of the slot while in use or powered up. You could attempt to zip tie it to the back of the case (only if you can afford to brick your system). Second slot could bifurcate or run through the mobo chipset, so some latency may be encountered (check the manual for the board). Get a support bracket for your card.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Yea i dont move my pc at all and if something occur i will just remove gpu first.

I came home after 16 hours and gpu didnt move at all so number 2 sits right with me

4 hours ago, Darkwing Drex said:

As far as I can tell, the clip on the slot simply holds the card in place. As long as you don't shift the system to much, you'll probably be fine. However, I'm not sure what happens if, say, the gpu slips out of the slot while in use or powered up. You could attempt to zip tie it to the back of the case (only if you can afford to brick your system). Second slot could bifurcate or run through the mobo chipset, so some latency may be encountered (check the manual for the board). Get a support bracket for your card.

My friend has a spare height stand for gpu so i will go with that.

Thanks.