Gpu idle at 80C After full custom Cooling of cpu and gpu

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Thats still way to high on water. You should be idling on full custom water in the upper 20s low 30s depending on your ambient room temp. 

it says that do you know how to change the power voltage

Capture.PNG

So the bottom right says Power Limit %, thats what im talking about. Since you're at 100%, thats a good thing and not an indication. You're still thermal throttling so something still isn't right with your block mount if your temps are that high assuming your CPU temps are fine and its not a loop issue, which doesn't appear to be. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Thats still way to high on water. You should be idling on full custom water in the upper 20s low 30s depending on your ambient room temp. 

nvm im still idling 88c after replacing thermal pads and paste and putting on the backplate

29 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

So the bottom right says Power Limit %, thats what im talking about. Since you're at 100%, thats a good thing and not an indication. You're still thermal throttling so something still isn't right with your block mount if your temps are that high assuming your CPU temps are fine and its not a loop issue, which doesn't appear to be. 

yea my cpu temp is running at 38c. i thought it couldve been that the water isn't moving throughout the block but i dont really know. been at this for 2 weeks now 

Just now, Scorpio312 said:

yea my cpu temp is running at 38c. i thought it couldve been that the water isn't moving throughout the block but i dont really know. been at this for 2 weeks now 

Then its 100% most definitely going to be the water block itself, its mounting. You did remove the plastic off the GPU cold plate before installing right? IIRC there is a plastic REMOVE BEFORE INSTALLING sticker on the GPU Cold plate. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Then its 100% most definitely going to be the water block itself, its mounting. You did remove the plastic off the GPU cold plate before installing right? IIRC there is a plastic REMOVE BEFORE INSTALLING sticker on the GPU Cold plate. 

yea it has been removed, i removed it like 2 weeks ago

1 minute ago, Scorpio312 said:

yea it has been removed, i removed it like 2 weeks ago

then its a problem with either the block not being the block it says and not compatible fully with your GPU, or wrong sized thermal pads still.. not all pads are the same, you will have some that are .5mm all the way up to 1.5 or even 2mm in some cases. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

then its a problem with either the block not being the block it says and not compatible fully with your GPU, or wrong sized thermal pads still.. not all pads are the same, you will have some that are .5mm all the way up to 1.5 or even 2mm in some cases. 

Well i know thermal pads aren't the issue so should i just replace the block.

Doubt the block is bad. Most likely user error here. You should post the following three photos:

1. The PCB side of the card after removing the waterblock showing the thermal paste spread (you should see the lightning/fractal spread of the thermal paste)

2. The Waterblock side showing the thermal paste spread on the block.

3. A complete view of the card before putting it together showing the placement of the thermal pads, as well as the thermal paste before mounting.

This is by far the fastest way to diagnose your problem.

examples from my own build (the three photos are not the same card, but demonstrates what I need)

20180209_214122.jpg.1034d0eef65d1f3fec9033d09a51e84d.jpg

20180209_214129.jpg.ea24025077989f36ffe73708c720f504.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

Hi there, any Idea about watertemp and flowrate?

what kind of paste do you use? How did the spreading look when you took it apart? if the paste is too thick, the heat transfer wont work great. that checks out with the mounting pressure and thickness of the thermal pads like soneone mentioned before.

But 60C is even under load a lot on a watercooled 2060.

edit: exactly what For science posted in the meantime 😄

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

18 hours ago, alphatessi said:

Hi there, any Idea about watertemp and flowrate?

what kind of paste do you use? How did the spreading look when you took it apart? if the paste is too thick, the heat transfer wont work great. that checks out with the mounting pressure and thickness of the thermal pads like soneone mentioned before.

But 60C is even under load a lot on a watercooled 2060.

edit: exactly what For science posted in the meantime 😄

Idling at high temperature is 100% a block mounting problem where it's not getting enough clamping pressure.  Their CPU would also be at high temperature if it was a loop problem like water temperature.  Flowrate is never a problem unless the loop is fully clogged and the flowrate is zero.

Too thick of thermal pads, covering a component that shouldn't be covered with a thermal pad (like a capacitor or something that sits high by itself), the standoffs on the block coming unscrewed.  Maybe if the screws aren't tightened enough but I've never had that problem...even with screws that don't have springs on them I always tighten until the screwdriver cams out and that's tight enough.

@OP ideally we should be able to see the etching marks from the top of the die  (actually the backside of the wafer...) on the surface of the waterblock.  That means it made enough clamping pressure.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Idling at high temperature is 100% a block mounting problem where it's not getting enough clamping pressure.  Their CPU would also be at high temperature if it was a loop problem like water temperature.  Flowrate is never a problem unless the loop is fully clogged and the flowrate is zero.

Too thick of thermal pads, covering a component that shouldn't be covered with a thermal pad (like a capacitor or something that sits high by itself), the standoffs on the block coming unscrewed.  Maybe if the screws aren't tightened enough but I've never had that problem...even with screws that don't have springs on them I always tighten until the screwdriver cams out and that's tight enough.

@OP ideally we should be able to see the etching marks from the top of the die  (actually the backside of the wafer...) on the surface of the waterblock.  That means it made enough clamping pressure.

flowrate was what i mean. maybe the pump is not running. but if i remember right he did not mention CPU Temp-problems so i think the pump is fine and we should focus on the die to block contact.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM