Xarteros

At my wits end, PC is a build for a mate of mine

Windows 10 Home
Gigabyte X570S Aorus Pro AX Motherboard

PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Devil OC 16GB RDNA 2

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4

Corsair ML120 PRO RGB 120mm Mag Lev PWM Fans

ISSUE: Initial RGB setup with Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2 works fine. Upon reboot/restart, RAM LEDs are either not on at all, or are using default unicorn vomit pattern. RAM stops showing up at all in RGB Fusion, and also doesn't show up as G.Skill RAM in Gigabyte EasyTune.

RAM is still visible in BIOS, all memory capacity is accounted for. G.Skill RGB software only changes colour to one DIMM. OpenRGB software changes RAM LEDs, but also overrides all other lighting software and creates conflicting colours (some fans deriving colour from iCUE, some from OpenRGB). If I fiddle with uninstalling/reinstalling, it occasionally detects the RAM and lets me change their RGB, but it all resets again when I shutdown or restart the PC.

NOTE: This is the second of two identical PC builds. The only thing that differs between the two is that this problematic PC has 4X16gb DIMMs and the one that didn't have issues has 2X16gb DIMMs

TRIED:

• Uninstalling all RGB control software, reinstalling in different orders to see if that changes anything.
  • Reinstalling windows and all drivers
  • Installing all drivers before using RGB control software
  • Running everything as Administrator
  • Running RGB programs in various compatibility modes
  • Setting the RAM to a specific (and safe) voltage (solved similar issue elsewhere online)
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Running all lighting through OpenRGB
  • Praying to Odin for wisdom

Seems like a minor issue, but the mate I'm building this for just wants a clean, ambient colour that isn't distracting. Unchangeable unicorn barf is certainly not acceptable. I'd appreciate any pointers to help me fix this ASAP so I can deliver the build

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same issue as you. The only solution I found was to turn of the PSU after shutting down the PC which is very annoying to do every single time you turn off the PC not mentioning the fact that you can't even perform a quick restart. Every regular restart brings back all the problems. Have you found another solution ?

RGB is a lost case unless everything is from the same vendor..... 

altho corsair's  software can link some.. i'm running rainbow puke after aura craped out.. 

1 hour ago, Hans Keller said:

I have the exact same issue as you. The only solution I found was to turn of the PSU after shutting down the PC which is very annoying to do every single time you turn off the PC not mentioning the fact that you can't even perform a quick restart. Every regular restart brings back all the problems. Have you found another solution ?

this is actually a motherboard issue for the most part and a little bit of dodgy software as well.

all i can tell you is you need the Gskill RGB software - and its not guaranteed to work in combination with other RGB software *at all* and in addition you need a motherboard that is fully supported. 

works, and works every  time for me (now, after a motherboard change, both MSI btw) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

RGB is a lost case unless everything is from the same vendor..... 

altho corsair's  software can link some.. i'm running rainbow puke after aura craped out.. 

man, get openRGB, with a bit of luck it should work (depends on the mobo) and you can set it to autostart... just saying,  i cant imagine living with rainbow puke, lol, so i feel ya! : D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity