Budget laptop for university

Hey, next year I should be going to university and I'll need a laptop for that. I intend on studying AI or Software engeneering (not fully decided yet). I know, that next year is far away, but due to the ongoing chip shortage, I'm already looking out for a good deal, and having no time preasure helps a lot.

My buget is about max 15 000 CZK (666 USD, 590 EUR) but I'd more like to pay in the 13 000 CZK (580 USD, 510 EUR) neighborhood.

I was thinking of getting a touch screen (I don't have one currently), but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Otherwise my only somewhat requirement is full size arrow keys (I know, that sounds stupid, it is, but I just can't get over having two arrow keys in one key slot), altho I'd probably get used to it after a few months.

I know, a year (more like 9 months) is a long time, so I don't expect specific laptops. More like tips what to look out for and where it's better to compromise.

I'll be thankfull for any help.

My go to recommendation for budget university laptops are used business machines. They're built very well, they depreciate like crazy so ~2 year old laptops are like 60-70% off, they have great keyboards, and are usually very easy to get parts in the event that something eventually breaks. They don't perform crazy or anything, but for most things you're likely to encounter in your first year or two of classes it's more than enough for. 

As for specific models, I'm partial to Thinkpads (they're what I know) and don't really know options from Dell and HP, so the models I'm gonna recommend are Thinkpads. Quad core models are where you should be looking, so you will be looking at 8th gen laptops and newer. The performance difference between 8th gen Intel and 11th gen Intel isn't huge, so spending much more on a newer model isn't usually worth it. The T480 is a very solid model that seems like it should do everything you need. It's a 14" laptop with an 8th gen CPU, and it's their "T" series so high end without being crazy. Plus, it's one of the last models to retain a user swappable battery, so you can buy a couple spare batteries and swap them out when you run low on power. It comes with Thunderbolt so if you eventually need a GPU (for certain AI applications you probably will) you can get an external one to do those type of applications. Also, while it doesn't have full sized arrow keys, it has 75% arrow keys that are very easy to get used to (though personally I never really cared about the half height ones, so take that for what you will).

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

My go to recommendation for budget university laptops are used business machines. They're built very well, they depreciate like crazy so ~2 year old laptops are like 60-70% off, they have great keyboards, and are usually very easy to get parts in the event that something eventually breaks. They don't perform crazy or anything, but for most things you're likely to encounter in your first year or two of classes it's more than enough for. 

As for specific models, I'm partial to Thinkpads (they're what I know) and don't really know options from Dell and HP, so the models I'm gonna recommend are Thinkpads. Quad core models are where you should be looking, so you will be looking at 8th gen laptops and newer. The performance difference between 8th gen Intel and 11th gen Intel isn't huge, so spending much more on a newer model isn't usually worth it. The T480 is a very solid model that seems like it should do everything you need. It's a 14" laptop with an 8th gen CPU, and it's their "T" series so high end without being crazy. Plus, it's one of the last models to retain a user swappable battery, so you can buy a couple spare batteries and swap them out when you run low on power. It comes with Thunderbolt so if you eventually need a GPU (for certain AI applications you probably will) you can get an external one to do those type of applications. Also, while it doesn't have full sized arrow keys, it has 75% arrow keys that are very easy to get used to (though personally I never really cared about the half height ones, so take that for what you will).

Agree, ThinkPads are solid machines, built like a brick shitter, and hold their value(price/performance) well after they are designated as refurb business machines.

Thanks for that info, buying an used laptop didn't come to my mind as the used hardware market in Czechia is 95 % not working or 5+ years old low to mid end laptops.

Yeah, I've a great experience with Lenovo products in the past, 2 years ago I was still daily driving a 2012 Lenovo G780 with a 2nd gen i3 and it's still fine, no deck flex, great keyboard only the trackpad could be better, and the battery died.

Well, now I'll dive deep into the used laptops market and hope for the best.