Need help in picking motherboard and power supply

Budget (including currency): 350 dol for motherboard and psu

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rendering, unity and unreal engine , 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is my first build here's my parts list for reference https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dCk6vf 

There are two things i need help from this community :

1) motherboard

I want you guys to suggest me motherboard to go with my 5800x

so I'm not sure if i need b550 or x570 board, all the video reviews I have watched are over year old 

I've shortlisted below motherboards 

MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (currently leaning towards this)

MSI B550 TAMOHAWK  

GIGABYTE AORUS B550 PRO V2 

ASUS STRIX B550 -F GAMING 

if you can help me decide which one among above should i be going for with reason or maybe your experience. 

2)Power supply :

Im thinking of going with 850 gold rated power supply 

i checked tier list it says it is outdated and last updated in 2020 or something (if there's updated version on forum please point me towards it)

So here's the thing , Not lot of brands of psu are there in india so it is difficult to choose which one i should go with

if you have time please go to amazon.in or https://pcpricetracker.in/  and see which one of available i should get i know its too much to ask.

Anyways thanks for any help i can get

1. The motherboard really depends on what you want. Get one with all features you want. Gigabyte has bad customer support, the Asus board has some issues I've heard and the Gaming Edge WIfi doesn't have great VRM's iirc. I think the best out of them would be the Tomahawk.

2. This tier list has been updated about 5 months ago. The spreadsheet is more up to date, but not much changed in those 5 months. From looking at the price tracker I think the Antec HCG is best, or if you can go a little over budget to get a quieter PSU a Corsair RM. Also what GPU? You may not even need 850w. Gold is just the efficiency, not quality so you shouldn't be looking for that. As an example, I'd rather use a bronze Corsair CXM than a gold Gigabyte P-GM.

31 minutes ago, Kushigro said:

Budget (including currency): 350 dol for motherboard and psu

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rendering, unity and unreal engine , 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is my first build here's my parts list for reference https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dCk6vf 

There are two things i need help from this community :

1) motherboard

I want you guys to suggest me motherboard to go with my 5800x

so I'm not sure if i need b550 or x570 board, all the video reviews I have watched are over year old 

I've shortlisted below motherboards 

MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (currently leaning towards this)

MSI B550 TAMOHAWK  

GIGABYTE AORUS B550 PRO V2 

ASUS STRIX B550 -F GAMING 

if you can help me decide which one among above should i be going for with reason or maybe your experience. 

2)Power supply :

Im thinking of going with 850 gold rated power supply 

i checked tier list it says it is outdated and last updated in 2020 or something (if there's updated version on forum please point me towards it)

So here's the thing , Not lot of brands of psu are there in india so it is difficult to choose which one i should go with

if you have time please go to amazon.in or https://pcpricetracker.in/  and see which one of available i should get i know its too much to ask.

Anyways thanks for any help i can get

Those are all pretty good boards, and none will have an issue with a 5800X.

The Adata XPG Core Reactor is a good psu and is on that pcpricetracker site.

25 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I've heard and the Gaming Edge WIfi doesn't have great VRM's iirc. 

That is the X570 version. The B550 one is fine.

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

1. The motherboard really depends on what you want. Get one with all features you want. Gigabyte has bad customer support, the Asus board has some issues I've heard and the Gaming Edge WIfi doesn't have great VRM's iirc. I think the best out of them would be the Tomahawk.

2. This tier list has been updated about 5 months ago. The spreadsheet is more up to date, but not much changed in those 5 months. From looking at the price tracker I think the Antec HCG is best, or if you can go a little over budget to get a quieter PSU a Corsair RM. Also what GPU? You may not even need 850w. Gold is just the efficiency, not quality so you shouldn't be looking for that. As an example, I'd rather use a bronze Corsair CXM than a gold Gigabyte P-GM.

Hi thanks for reply ,

so i watched this video and i dont know how reliable it is now since it was long time ago here gaming edge performed over tomahawk. but if you can please tell me which other thing than vram tomahawk beats it. actually the later one has bluetooth and wifi which im more likely to use than 2 lan ports on toma

here's the price breakdown of those boards in dol so it can maybe help in deciding :

Tomahawk -212$ Gaming edge 239$ Aorus 211 Asus board 265$

We have Rm versions of corsair PSUs available only 1000 watts version on RMx version is available 

Corsair RM version 850 w supply for 160$ And 1000w Corsair one for 225$

I'll definitely check your other psu recommendation out .thanks a lot 

edit : I've got 3080 ti fe

49 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That is the X570 version. The B550 one is fine.

do you think that is the one i should go from the options and any other b550 boards in same price range i've not mentioned?

54 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Those are all pretty good boards, and none will have an issue with a 5800X.

The Adata XPG Core Reactor is a good psu and is on that pcpricetracker site.

Thanks for the reply friend

4 minutes ago, Kushigro said:

do you think that is the one i should go from the options and any other b550 boards in same price range i've not mentioned?

Some other decent boards would be the MSI B550-A PRO, B550 Gaming Plus, Asus B550 TUF and Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite (ATX). You could easily choose the cheapest one out of that list and be perfectly fine. 

9 minutes ago, Kushigro said:

Hi thanks for reply ,

so i watched this video and i dont know how reliable it is now since it was long time ago here gaming edge performed over tomahawk. but if you can please tell me which other thing than vram tomahawk beats it. actually the later one has bluetooth and wifi which im more likely to use than 2 lan ports on toma

here's the price breakdown of those boards in dol so it can maybe help in deciding :

Tomahawk -212$ Gaming edge 239$ Aorus 211 Asus board 265$

We have Rm versions of corsair PSUs available only 1000 watts version on RMx version is available 

Corsair RM version 850 w supply for 160$ And 1000w Corsair one for 225$

I'll definitely check your other psu recommendation out .thanks a lot 

edit : I've got 3080 ti fe

Not really much of a difference other than the ones you already know. The video is still accurate because the parts haven't changed. Also the Gigabyte has slightly better audio, but the VRM's are worse and they don't have Wifi and they are known for having bad support which isn't an issue if you get it from a good retailer. I'd get either the MSI Gaming Edge or Gigabyte, depending on which features you care most about.

A 3080 Ti will also run fine with 750w. You could get an MSI A750GF (it's on the price tracker website)

I personally love my ASROCK Pro4 board paired with my FOCUS GM, has super stable PD, no you aren't going to have $800 Mobo XOC VRMs, but it holds a 2600X(95W tdp) at 112W with 1.4v 3.95ghz all core for hours on end video transcoding without even breaking a sweat. 

26 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Not really much of a difference other than the ones you already know. The video is still accurate because the parts haven't changed. Also the Gigabyte has slightly better audio, but the VRM's are worse and they don't have Wifi and they are known for having bad support which isn't an issue if you get it from a good retailer. I'd get either the MSI Gaming Edge or Gigabyte, depending on which features you care most about.

A 3080 Ti will also run fine with 750w. You could get an MSI A750GF (it's on the price tracker website)

i might go with Gaming edge now. Does both psu you mentioned in the tier list? 

12 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I personally love my ASROCK Pro4 board paired with my FOCUS GM, has super stable PD, no you aren't going to have $800 Mobo XOC VRMs, but it holds a 2600X(95W tdp) at 112W with 1.4v 3.95ghz all core for hours on end video transcoding without even breaking a sweat. 

Unfortunately seasonic PSUs I have rarely seen on retailers in India

32 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Some other decent boards would be the MSI B550-A PRO, B550 Gaming Plus, Asus B550 TUF and Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite (ATX). You could easily choose the cheapest one out of that list and be perfectly fine. 

Thanks 🙂

7 minutes ago, Kushigro said:

i might go with Gaming edge now. Does both psu you mentioned in the tier list? 

Both are tier A in the tier list and should have no issues with your system

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Both are tier A in the tier list and should have no issues with your system

Do you have any 1440p monitor recommendations?

33 minutes ago, Kushigro said:

Do you have any 1440p monitor recommendations?

What budget? Don't know much about monitors but I've heard good things about the Gigabyte M27Q

super flower leadek IIII gold 850W, corsair rmx/hx 850w gold, bequiet pure power/straight power 850w

you not go to ryzen 9. i think mid end mobo (8-12 phase) should be fine. suggesting from me maybe pick gigabyte X570 ud/b550 gaming x v2, for best budget

I bought a 5800x a few days ago and the motherboard I decided to order is GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO-P  : https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-B550M-AORUS-PRO-P-Motherboard/dp/B08L74NCPQ/

You won't find it on Hardware Unboxed's videos because it's a more recent model, but it should compare similarly to B550 Aorus Pro model in those videos.

Basically, here's why I went with this model

* It has a decent VRM ( this one has 10 power stages, 5 phases with 2 power stages each), good heatsinks... It's perfectly fine even for a 5950x

* I also wanted something with a newer onboard audio codec and more than 3 analogue outputs as I have a 5.1 system and want to have jack available for microphone as well. This board comes with the ALC1200 codec, which is good enough, and has optical out and 5 analogue jacks

* I like that it has 2 pci-e x16 slots, and that the 2nd slot is full x4 - some boards don't have a 2nd pci-e x16 slot or if it's there, it's either x2 or becomes x2 if you use the 2nd m.2 slot.  Others like the Aorus Pro v2 have 3 slots, but 2nd slot is x4 and 3rd slot is x2 ... and again, if you use them you lose sata ports, or the x4 slot becomes x2 ... it's kind of a mess.

* I like that it has plenty of USB ports in the back.  It has 4 x USB 2.0 , 4 x USB 3.x (5gbps) and 2 x USB 3.2 gen 2 ( 10gbps), one being type c. Other models are really lousy when it comes to usb in the back.

* I like the simple looks, black and gray.

It's mATX but really thought about it, and ATX boards would only add a couple pci-e x1 slots which I wouldn't use either way.

The only minus, sort of, is that it has only 4 sata ports ... but at least they're all functional all the time. I do have 3 hard drives and a SATA ssd... will have to retire an old 1 TB hard drive with this new board.

A lot of motherboards have 6 sata ports, but if you use 2nd m.2 then 2 sata ports won't work, or something like that. 

The board is 150 euro now, used to be around 138 euro last week. 

Other options for me were The Aorus Pro V2 but it's around 175 euro, and for 25 euro more the only pluses are the 3rd pci-e x16 slot that's almost pointless and the fact that it has front panel usb 10g connector and 6 sata ports. For me it's not worth it.

Another option were Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus...

For power supply I'll continue to use my Seasonic x-650

On 12/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, Pixelfie said:

What budget? Don't know much about monitors but I've heard good things about the Gigabyte M27Q

Hey man i just got confused with ram sticks. so i want 16 gb of ram in 2 X 8 way , does it need to have both ram sticks to be dual channel to be best? i want lpx ram sticks . can you clear my doubt and recommend me ram?

On 12/5/2021 at 1:34 AM, lee32uk said:

Hey man i just got confused with ram sticks. so i want 16 gb of ram in 2 X 8 way , does it need to have both ram sticks to be dual channel to be best? i want lpx ram sticks . can you clear my doubt and recommend me ram?

1 hour ago, Kushigro said:

LPX comes in 2 sticks so you should be fine. As long as you don't mix it with a different kit there should be no problems.

8 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

LPX comes in 2 sticks so you should be fine. As long as you don't mix it with a different kit there should be no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083V93HJG?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

i was initially going with this but someone in QandA said these were single channel sticks so i started freaking out. can share me link of corasie 16gb dual channel kit?

Sticks by themselves can't be single channel or dual channel.

Dual channel simply means you're using two or four sticks of memory in your computer, one stick in each channel, or two sticks in each channel.

Some ram manufacturers sell  "dual channel kits" , basically pairs of sticks with the same technical specification  (same voltage, same timings, same frequency etc) to make it as easier as possible for the computer and user.

BUT, you don't have to buy a dual channel kit,  you can buy a particular ram stick and then buy a second stick from same manufacturer, series, and install it in your computer and then you have dual channel memory.

You can even use ram sticks from different manufacturers, and even with different specifications (though it's recommended to have technical specifications as close as possible or the same) - the BIOS on your motherboard will read the settings of each memory stick and automatically pick the ones compatible with both sticks.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Sticks by themselves can't be single channel or dual channel.

Dual channel simply means you're using two or four sticks of memory in your computer, one stick in each channel, or two sticks in each channel.

Some ram manufacturers sell  "dual channel kits" , basically pairs of sticks with the same technical specification  (same voltage, same timings, same frequency etc) to make it as easier as possible for the computer and user.

BUT, you don't have to buy a dual channel kit,  you can buy a particular ram stick and then buy a second stick from same manufacturer, series, and install it in your computer and then you have dual channel memory.

You can even use ram sticks from different manufacturers, and even with different specifications (though it's recommended to have technical specifications as close as possible or the same) - the BIOS on your motherboard will read the settings of each memory stick and automatically pick the ones compatible with both sticks.

Thank you so much for the response. I was looking at these ram sticks (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083V93HJG?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1)  and in QandA someone asked if it was single rank or dual, so i freaked out and searched more about it what i found out was you should use a dual channel kit. Not a single kit and make it two. Is there really a performance difference? someone recommended me this kit (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232437?Description=F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW&cm_re=F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW-_-20-232-437-_-Product&quicklink=true) it is more expensive but in specification says dual channel kit.  

Can you tell me i'll be just fine with those crucial ones? and also can you suggest me corsair lpx ones? which ram sticks are you using?

The first link  is a kit , it says so in the title and description and even the pictures say "2 pack". You get 2  8 GB memory sticks.

You can also get the item number / sku  BL2K8G36C16U4B  and go to Crucial's page and find it there : https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g36c16u4b

The second link is also a kit, it has a tiny bit better technical specifications, and I guess it's a bit better if you want to overclock the memory.

For you, if you're asking such questions, you're not gonna overclock and not notice any difference in performance. it's not worth the extra money, there's quite a difference between 85$ and 110$... that maybe 0.25% extra performance is not worth those extra 25$

I'd prefer Crucial over the Corsair ones.