Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buying Sound Cards for Music Production ...

9 minutes ago, Thanuja Jayawardhana said:

How I choose the perfect sound card for my computer ? Is it based on my PC Specs ?

Yes and no.

As long as the rest of the PC isn't a bottleneck it doesn't really matter.

(only really slow hardware will be a bottleneck)

for music production, you choose the sound-card that has what you need, then build a computer around that.
Making sure its powerful enough to do what you want to do comfortably.

Waiting for the computer to do something while you in a flow working is the most annoying.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Depends on what your requirements are. I personally bought a Steinberg UR44 because I mostly record stuff using Cubase, so it's perfectly integrated. It has plenty of inputs for whatever I want to use it for and it works well with every other audio software I've used it with. But even the best audio interface won't improve your workflow if your computer isn't kitted out for audio production. In basic terms that means you'll want a reasonably fast CPU to handle signal processing without much latency and a decent amount of RAM to store all that audio data and VSTs that rely on sample data. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

The three things to consider are media quality, physical I/o and software compatibility/integration to your main DAW

If you’re only going to be recording or playing things back over 3.5mm non amplified stereo in 48khz or something, just use onboard audio.

If you need XLR inputs, midi, amplified audio over RCA, and need recordings in 192khz or 384khz or DSD/PCM or something, that’s when you look into sound cards that fit your needs on those 3 criteria.

Format quality, physical connectivity, software.

-> Moved to Audio

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A lot of sound "cards" these days are USB based, so as long as the PC can run your DAW, you're fine. 

Some really high-end sound cards (Lynx, for example) are still PCIe based. Hell I still have and use a Lynx PCI card from 2004. A modern equivalent is about $800.