Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area After Update

rossamck1
 Share

Hi all, at my wit's end trying to figure out how to solve this issue with my PC.

For around a year I've been getting a lot of 'Page Fault in Nonpaged Area' BSODs. Initially thought it was an issue with my RAM but tried all the debugging processes (reseating memory, diagnostic tool, different memory etc) but nothing seems to help. Found a few other threads showing how to use chkdsk and disable automatic paging which I tried and made very little difference. Disabling automatic paging did seem to reduce the frequency of the BSOD but not eliminate it completely. I've now got it to the stage where it boots successfully around 70% of the time, and the other 30% shows the error but generally boots after a restart. 

Some time ago I concluded that part of the issue seemed to stem from Windows Updates, and after a lengthy process of trying to permanently disable updates it had a short spell of working perfectly. Figured this out as was able to reproduce the issue by using the software power button to switch off PC - where it would then display the error. Switching it off at the actual power button seemed to let it boot ok and avoid the update. Even if I did click update and shut down, it would BSOD and after eventually getting back into Windows would still show update available, leading me to think that it failed at some point during the update process. Anyway more recently I re-enabled updates to try out Windows 11 and bizarrely it was the first update that didn't cause the blue screen. Thought everything was fine but sure enough when the next patch was released it was back to the same old errors. 

Now I'm at the point where as above it boots 70% of the time, and the other 30% displays the error but works ok after a hard reboot. This isn't the end of the world just a bit inconvenient, however whenever there is an update a hard reboot never works and the only way to boot properly into Windows seems to be to wait for system recovery to do its thing, reboot into safe mode with networking and use a third party driver tool to update all the drivers. 

Could it be as simple as drivers not being updated alongside Windows? Generally keep them up to date and not sure how that explains the other random times it BSODs. 

 

Other things to note is I have tried disabling fast boot, have followed virtually every guide online and tried just about everything I can think of. I also have a separate Ubuntu install for doing some basic coding, but haven't used it in a while and tried disconnecting altogether but the problem still persisted. First time posting so apologies if I missed anything important.

 

Thanks! 

 

TLDR: PC gets stuck in Page Fault boot loop after updating Windows

 

Edit: Dump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXj_kWZyVgISw_gtTB1eDbCmkFx1Pkqx/view?usp=sharing

 

PC Spec:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7Ghz

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB KO

Corsair TXM Gold 650W 80+ PSU

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 510GB M.2 NVME SSD (Windows boot drive)

Kingston A400 120GB SSD (Ubuntu boot drive)

WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD (Backup storage)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (Bulk storage)

NZXT H510 Case
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rossamck1 said:

Hi all, at my wit's end trying to figure out how to solve this issue with my PC.

For around a year I've been getting a lot of 'Page Fault in Nonpaged Area' BSODs. Initially thought it was an issue with my RAM but tried all the debugging processes (reseating memory, diagnostic tool, different memory etc) but nothing seems to help. Found a few other threads showing how to use chkdsk and disable automatic paging which I tried and made very little difference. Disabling automatic paging did seem to reduce the frequency of the BSOD but not eliminate it completely. I've now got it to the stage where it boots successfully around 70% of the time, and the other 30% shows the error but generally boots after a restart. 

Some time ago I concluded that part of the issue seemed to stem from Windows Updates, and after a lengthy process of trying to permanently disable updates it had a short spell of working perfectly. Figured this out as was able to reproduce the issue by using the software power button to switch off PC - where it would then display the error. Switching it off at the actual power button seemed to let it boot ok and avoid the update. Even if I did click update and shut down, it would BSOD and after eventually getting back into Windows would still show update available, leading me to think that it failed at some point during the update process. Anyway more recently I re-enabled updates to try out Windows 11 and bizarrely it was the first update that didn't cause the blue screen. Thought everything was fine but sure enough when the next patch was released it was back to the same old errors. 

Now I'm at the point where as above it boots 70% of the time, and the other 30% displays the error but works ok after a hard reboot. This isn't the end of the world just a bit inconvenient, however whenever there is an update a hard reboot never works and the only way to boot properly into Windows seems to be to wait for system recovery to do its thing, reboot into safe mode with networking and use a third party driver tool to update all the drivers. 

Could it be as simple as drivers not being updated alongside Windows? Generally keep them up to date and not sure how that explains the other random times it BSODs. 

 

Other things to note is I have tried disabling fast boot, have followed virtually every guide online and tried just about everything I can think of. I also have a separate Ubuntu install for doing some basic coding, but haven't used it in a while and tried disconnecting altogether but the problem still persisted. First time posting so apologies if I missed anything important.

 

Thanks! 

 

TLDR: PC gets stuck in Page Fault boot loop after updating Windows

 

Edit: Dump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXj_kWZyVgISw_gtTB1eDbCmkFx1Pkqx/view?usp=sharing

 

PC Spec:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7Ghz

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB KO

Corsair TXM Gold 650W 80+ PSU

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 510GB M.2 NVME SSD (Windows boot drive)

Kingston A400 120GB SSD (Ubuntu boot drive)

WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD (Backup storage)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (Bulk storage)

NZXT H510 Case
 

Dump files may not be readable because there are 5 sets and only an upper level folder got screenshotted. I wouldn’t know what they necessarily  anyway but it might be an issue.  Page stuff usually means drives to me.  Seeing 3 drives: 1 ssd and 2 HDDs. The SSD is listed as the system drive.  Same problem if the other 2 drives are pulled? (High probability yes) 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×