40 Series, why would Nvidia launch?

Ar558a

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidias-rtx-40-series-could-be-arriving-sooner-than-expected/

I don't understand the logic of this at all why would Nvidia bother to replace a product that is selling out everywhere with unprecedented demand at very high margins? The competition is floundering, AMD's Radeon series are not at the same performance level and have much lower brand value (see James Garbold's Column in Custom PC Feb 2022 issue) and Intel's new range will not be competitive for at least the first generation if not longer. Surely it makes more sense to launch some more Super cards and fleece people for the whole of 2022 while improving 40 series and then drop that in retaliation for AMD's RDNA 3 lineup?

6 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidias-rtx-40-series-could-be-arriving-sooner-than-expected/

I don't understand the logic of this at all why would Nvidia bother to replace a product that is selling out everywhere with unprecedented demand at very high margins? The competition is floundering, AMD's Radeon series are not at the same performance level and have much lower brand value (see James Garbold's Column in Custom PC Feb 2022 issue) and Intel's new range will not be competitive for at least the first generation if not longer. Surely it makes more sense to launch some more Super cards and fleece people for the whole of 2022 while improving 40 series and then drop that in retaliation for AMD's RDNA 3 lineup?

RDNA2 is quite comparable to Ampere in performance. The 6900xt and 3090 trade blows with each other and one is faster than the other depending on the game. RDNA3 is also releasing next year and is expected to be better than Lovelace (RTX 40 Series). All the leaks on Lovelace suggest it consumes an absurd amount of power. Moore's Law is Dead recently did a leak video on this topic. He expected both RDNA3 and Lovelace to launch approximately the same time i.e in Q3 of 2022 if I remember correctly. Here is the link to his video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx18lRwaKi4&t=921s

What we see as consumers is only this small bit of what nvidia does, they have to keep working on new technology for enterprise customers, and to keep their customers from going AMD who will also do the same, and continue to develop new technology for their enterprise customers.

And at that point there’s no reason not to spend a bit extra on developing consumer versions of the same products, in order to hype up a new architecture and make some side profit. Wether they’re making 3000 series or 4000 series, it’s gonna sell out regardless, might as well make the 4000 series to keep the consumer market occupied while the reason behind the advancement is for the Quadro and Tesla lines.

The best example of this would be something like the Radeon VII, that basically existed to show off GCN 5.1, hence why that consumer product was moreso a paper launch alongside igpu announcements and a few random workstation cards.

Because what else was GCN5.1? A bunch of Radeon instinct compute cards.

Same happened with high end Polaris, the RX590 existed just because a 2nd generation of Radeon pro WX series cards were coming out soon.

If nVidia sit back and do nothing then AMD will release new products and beat them. This is competition.

1 hour ago, Ar558a said:

Whatever Nvidia releases next year will sell out immediately, most likely and get ready for prices to remain constant. Personally I cannot see a 4080 being less than 1000 USD, probably more. 

It wouldn't surprise me if NVidia release a new series next year but I will be very surprised in prices go down. After all, this shortage has proved that a large percentage of people are willing to pay crazy prices for GPUs. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

1 hour ago, expiredbiscuit said:

RDNA2 is quite comparable to Ampere in performance. The 6900xt and 3090 trade blows with each other and one is faster than the other depending on the game. RDNA3 is also releasing next year and is expected to be better than Lovelace (RTX 40 Series). All the leaks on Lovelace suggest it consumes an absurd amount of power. Moore's Law is Dead recently did a leak video on this topic. He expected both RDNA3 and Lovelace to launch approximately the same time i.e in Q3 of 2022 if I remember correctly. Here is the link to his video-

I'll be amazed if AMD can actually make a GPU that is faster across the board given that has been impossible for them for more than 15 years, especially given how far behind in RTX/DLSS they are. I can see there being efficiency issues for nVidia but Gamers generally don't care about that so nvidia will still be the performance king.

• 2 weeks later...

To keep moving forward. It's good to see them release new cards instead of holding onto tech like Canon does, leaking it out slowly. It also means they won't get caught off guard by something a competitor releases. It's not like they can say "oh, wow, their cards are performing really well, let's release ours now"...new card launches are planned significantly in advance. Losing out on a generation of sales is losing out on a ton of revenue, as well as potential lost future revenue.

You're basically looking at the short term and not the long term. Business failure 101.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, expiredbiscuit said:

Ugh. MLID is a fucking joke.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 12/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, dizmo said:

To keep moving forward. It's good to see them release new cards instead of holding onto tech like Canon does, leaking it out slowly. It also means they won't get caught off guard by something a competitor releases. It's not like they can say "oh, wow, their cards are performing really well, let's release ours now"...new card launches are planned significantly in advance. Losing out on a generation of sales is losing out on a ton of revenue, as well as potential lost future revenue.

You're basically looking at the short term and not the long term. Business failure 101.

Ugh. MLID is a fucking joke.

Is he? He was quite accurate on Alder Lake, though.