AIO gurgles when load increases / decreases - how to fix?

MythicalSnake

My PC has an incredibly annoying gurgling sound every so often. It seemed random at first. Someone recommended me to put my PC, while running, upside-down.

So I decided to see if the upside-down technique worked - I watched some Twitch and things sounded great. Then I went ahead and launched a game, Halo Infinite, and instantly when it hit the in-engine rendered main menu it made a gurgling sound. Weird coincidence right? So I closed the app, waited 4 minutes, and the same thing happened. Once again, I waited around 4 minutes and the *same* thing happened again.

tl;dr is the following: I launch GPU intensive (and somewhat CPU intensive) game and PC gurgles. I suppose it has something to do with quick temperature changes, but I'm still in the dark on this one. Does anyone know why this would be?

often air bubbling up from somewhere.

so how long have you been using this AIO? could be there is less liquid in it, which means more noise and maybe higher temps.

Some can also be related to the pump, but to me, it sounds more like there is too little liquid to cover the whole loop, leaving one side "gasping" for liquid creating noise. I guess. they can be "refilled", but that is on your own responsibility, both in how and with what. And hopefully no leaks either before or after.

could be related to the pump being a problem too, and did you just raise the radiator and not the pump?

Edited by Quackers101

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

often air bubbling up from somewhere.

so how long have you been using this AIO? could be there is less liquid in it, which means more noise and maybe higher temps.

Some can also be related to the pump, but to me, it sounds more like there is too little liquid to cover the whole loop, leaving one side "gasping" for liquid creating noise. I guess. they can be "refilled", but that is on your own responsibility, both in how and with what. And hopefully no leaks either before or after.

It's 2 months old - thanks for the help btw 🙂

14 minutes ago, MythicalSnake said:

It's 2 months old - thanks for the help btw 🙂

Which AIO do you have? I find my NZXT X62 will gurgle if I've been running the pump at low speed (watching videos etc...) and then launch a game. One option would be to just run the pump speed at max (Depending on how loud the rest of your system is you might not even hear it).

15 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Which AIO do you have? I find my NZXT X62 will gurgle if I've been running the pump at low speed (watching videos etc...) and then launch a game. One option would be to just run the pump speed at max (Depending on how loud the rest of your system is you might not even hear it).

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB - I've been running the pump at a steady low speed at all times, but yea, whenever things get a bit hotter I suppose it gurgles. I really don't know why it would do that, but anyways, I still experience gurgling when having the pump at 100%, but I'll try running this for a while to see if the sound goes away after some time. Should be worth giving a try, especially as I don't know what else I could do, already RMA'd one of these, even though it made the exact same noise. Plus here is the way I have the rad set up if you're curious: https://imgur.com/gallery/k4diU5Z Really shouldn't be having air bubble issues with this setup I feel.

25 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

A better way to be calling it, would be a 'snoring' sound of sorts. It sounds remarkably similar to a short snor.

like ninja said, it might just because how the pump works, which might do more noise at set levels or change in it's levels (of how fast or slow it goes).

Some pumps can also have coil whine, but I doubt you have that or that being the problem. so you can just try different settings if it allows for that and positions. Although for the pump, having the radiator above or generally higher than the pump is good. 😛 while unsure about noise, the pump always need liquid either way.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

like ninja said, it might just because how the pump works, which might do more noise at set levels or change in it's levels (of how fast or slow it goes).

So there would be nothing you could do about it? According to Asus AI Suite it should just be a flat RPM the pump is running at, so I don't get why it would do that. I just find it strange how glowing the review by GamersNexus was, and honestly, pretty much all reviews. I haven't heard anyone mention this snoring sound it could make.

8 minutes ago, MythicalSnake said:

So there would be nothing you could do about it? According to Asus AI Suite it should just be a flat RPM the pump is running at, so I don't get why it would do that. I just find it strange how glowing the review by GamersNexus was, and honestly, pretty much all reviews. I haven't heard anyone mention this snoring sound it could make.

they can sometimes get the "best" version or the most recent one that might not have the same problems you would have.

Also depending on what the issue is though, if it just needs more liquid then there isn't much to it. But yes, it would be nice if youtubers could cover the range of issues an consumer might expect, but there is too many variables at play most of the time. And sometimes the reviews might focus more on one aspect over another, like for example performance over quality of life or noise.

I do get it's annoying when your expectation for a product doesn't live up to what you wanted it to be like. If it's for the price or so on.

I had some issues with corsairs too, which went straight to return. Like the screw holes didn't fit their own screws... like geez, expensive for nothing and I don't want to ruin it. Which can be problems for some in one way or another, or by different brands.

45 minutes ago, MythicalSnake said:

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB

I literally have this same cooler in my cart rn and you made me have some second thoughts

11 hours ago, Danijongo said:

I literally have this same cooler in my cart rn and you made me have some second thoughts

Did you end up buying it?

7 minutes ago, MythicalSnake said:

Did you end up buying it?

Because I have a LGA1700 socket (alder lake) I have to buy something compatible. and the most available conversion kits I have in my region are either ARCTIC or Noctua

I didn't buy it yet but it's better than buying an Aorus liquid cooler for much more money, but the air cooler is still a legit contender. (But tbh Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB & Noctua NH-D15 prices so close might aswell liquid cool and be done with this)

32 minutes ago, Danijongo said:

Because I have a LGA1700 socket (alder lake) I have to buy something compatible. and the most available conversion kits I have in my region are either ARCTIC or Noctua

I didn't buy it yet but it's better than buying an Aorus liquid cooler for much more money, but the air cooler is still a legit contender. (But tbh Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB & Noctua NH-D15 prices so close might aswell liquid cool and be done with this)

Yeah if you can just make sure that you can return it if you do have that weird noise, then I would also go with the AIO. Maybe it doesn't even bother you, all depends. For me it reminds me of someone snoring which is just a bit obnoxious coming from the PC. Anyways - it's quite a bit better than the Noctua, plus looks a lot nicer imo. The only downside is that the AIO will lose it's use after a while, but that might not even be a factor since the Noctua cooler won't be great for cutting edge CPU's in 6 years time with how power requirements are going.

1 hour ago, Danijongo said:

NH-D15 prices so close

It's $100 CAD difference but the Nhd15 is a top air cooler. 

Better aios will set you back $300.

3 minutes ago, Heliian said:

It's $100 CAD difference but the Nhd15 is a top air cooler. 

Better aios will set you back $300.

It's like $30 USD tops difference for me, in my region at least.

Again I'm kinda limited by 1700 socket compatible kits and it's really annoying chasing companies around for when they'll ship them and how.

But poor @MythicalSnakeI stole his thread with no ill intention lol

2 hours ago, Danijongo said:

It's like $30 USD tops difference for me, in my region at least.

Again I'm kinda limited by 1700 socket compatible kits and it's really annoying chasing companies around for when they'll ship them and how.

But poor @MythicalSnakeI stole his thread with no ill intention lol

Yeah, Noctua and Arctic are pretty great as far as support goes. 

All good btw 😉 Would you mind updating me if you do get the Arctic aio? Maybe I just had 2 bad ones, or something else is wacky.