low fps on old pc games

Zomb1rbro
Go to solution Solved by Alvin853,
17 hours ago, Zomb1rbro said:

Did a clean install and booted up the game and did the stress test and average around 17 to 18 fps according to the game and during in game average around.....1 to 2 fps don't know why the game is running low fps any fix?

Your hardware might not be properly supported in win 8.1, has this setup worked before? Maybe you're better off downgrading to win 7.

What are your temps like? If this system hasn't been deep cleaned in a while, the coolers might not be performing very well.

Whenever i try to play counter strike source my frames drop to 10fps and start to lag very badly to the point of the game being unplayable

anyway here my specs

Cpu:Intel(r) Celeron(r) d cpu 3.20ghz (single core)

Gpu:VisionTek Radeon 3850 GDDR3 512mb

Ram:2Gb

Motherboard:D865GSA

if i have to upgrade something or something i didn't mention.

You've got some extremely weak hardware there - the 3850 is fine, but open Task Manager with the game running and check how much RAM and CPU usage you're at. 

For reference, one of the systems I use as a testbench of things that could be faulty possibly fry the motherboard or PSU (it's kinda the sacrificial PC lol) runs Windows 10 x32. Similar hardware, single core 2 thread Pentium 4 HT at 3ghz, 2.5gb of ram and it is horrible in every game that I've tried on it, even stuff like Minecraft and Roblox. 

I stopped reading after single core. 

i am not trying to be mean or nasty but CS:GO i can promise you is optimized for at least 4 cores. 

That computer was old in 2010. Its time for an upgrade. you could spend 300 dollars at Walmart and have a vastly better experience. 

13 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

You've got some extremely weak hardware there - the 3850 is fine, but open Task Manager with the game running and check how much RAM and CPU usage you're at. 

For reference, one of the systems I use as a testbench of things that could be faulty possibly fry the motherboard or PSU (it's kinda the sacrificial PC lol) runs Windows 10 x32. Similar hardware, single core 2 thread Pentium 4 HT at 3ghz, 2.5gb of ram and it is horrible in every game that I've tried on it, even stuff like Minecraft and Roblox. 

Ram usage is averaging at 100mb to 200mb but cpu is usage is 68% to 80% during gameplay

57 minutes ago, SSDsNotSSRIs said:

i am not trying to be mean or nasty but CS:GO i can promise you is optimized for at least 4 cores. 

29 minutes ago, HQuan said:

CS:GO with 1 core CPU

They clearly wrote Counter Strike Source, not CS:GO, when CS:Source came out dual core CPUs weren't even a thing, their system should run Source just fine.

@Zomb1rbro make sure you're not running off of onboard graphics, maybe do a clean install of the graphics drivers, something is off about the GPU for sure.

2 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

They clearly wrote Counter Strike Source, not CS:GO, when CS:Source came out dual core CPUs weren't even a thing, their system should run Source just fine.

@Zomb1rbro make sure you're not running off of onboard graphics, maybe do a clean install of the graphics drivers, something is off about the GPU for sure.

thanks i´ll check

4 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

games get updated and it would be silly to assume that the game hasn't been updated to look for another core at the least. 

12 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Um, thanks for correct me!

On 12/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, Alvin853 said:

Did a clean install and booted up the game and did the stress test and average around 17 to 18 fps according to the game and during in game average around.....1 to 2 fps don't know why the game is running low fps any fix?

use msi afterburner overlay,  show gpu, cpu, ram and vram usage,  and temps.

then make a screenshot when you get low fps, something has to give... 

Spoiler

~ like so 

20210731_180956.thumb.jpg.80d80988bf8cb17b925b3521de5b7e7a.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Zomb1rbro said:

Your hardware might not be properly supported in win 8.1, has this setup worked before? Maybe you're better off downgrading to win 7.

What are your temps like? If this system hasn't been deep cleaned in a while, the coolers might not be performing very well.

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

use msi afterburner overlay,  show gpu, cpu, ram and vram usage,  and temps.

then make a screenshot when you get low fps, something has to give... 

Reveal hidden contents

~ like so 

20210731_180956.thumb.jpg.80d80988bf8cb17b925b3521de5b7e7a.jpg

this one.png

That doesn't look good... maybe the post above is right and you should try windows 7... also check its really running on your dgpu, but then you still have 100% cpu usage. 

check for background processes,  do a full malwarebytes scan, and as said consider reinstalling windows (perhaps 7)

Do any games work normally at all?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer