Left window open for 12 hours: did I damage my PC?

Melodist

Hello fellas,

Did I damage components by leaving my window open for 12 hours with 5 degrees outside and 84% moisture outside and powering the computer on an hour later?

Michael

Yeah condensation might have killed the motherboard if you closed the windows and had heating on when turning the pc on

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

5C or 5F? Also, does the computer work?

If it doesn't work, test hardware, and replace the fault.

If it works, you're fine. My computer routinely has to run in high humidity in the summer and nothing has gone wrong, and I leave the window cracked all the time in winter as it drops temps quite a bit.

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

5C or 5F? Also, does the computer work?

If it doesn't work, test hardware, and replace the fault.

If it works, you're fine. My computer routinely has to run in high humidity in the summer and nothing has gone wrong, and I leave the window cracked all the time in winter as it drops temps quite a bit.

5C which is 41F, I've accidentally left the window wide open for 12 hours.

7 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Did it rain? On table or under desk?

Just now, Melodist said:

Again, does your computer work?
If so, you're fine.

If not, test hardware, find the fault, and repair/replace it.

elephants

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Did it rain? On table or under desk?

No just left the window wide open for 12 hours.

Probably fine unless there was moisture condensed on the case or other things in the room. If that happened just wait for everything to dry with the side panel off and maybe a fan blowing into the case, it will probably be OK if the computer was off.

i've had laptops sit in a freezing car for quite a while.

past that.. most components are made to hold up to quite extreme temperature ranges while not in use (and honestly.. even while in use) for shipping.

as for condensation... condensation only happens when humid air touches a surface that is colder than said air, presuming your computer is not breaking the laws of physics on a daily basis, your computer cannot be colder than the humid air around it because it was cooled down by it, and in turn the 12 hour period is essentially academical in this example.

which is where i hop onto the bandwagon of the question as of yet unanswered:

does it still work?

does the pc boot? is there any symptoms? have you not started it up at all?

in the case that the pc is currently on and running... i'd say just pop the side panel off and give it a quick once over to see if anything stands out, and then go on with your life.

in case the pc is malfunctioning -- symptoms?

in the case you havent turned it on yet.. anything visual that could be a cause of worry?

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've had laptops sit in a freezing car for quite a while.

past that.. most components are made to hold up to quite extreme temperature ranges while not in use (and honestly.. even while in use) for shipping.

as for condensation... condensation only happens when humid air touches a surface that is colder than said air, presuming your computer is not breaking the laws of physics on a daily basis, your computer cannot be colder than the humid air around it because it was cooled down by it, and in turn the 12 hour period is essentially academical in this example.

which is where i hop onto the bandwagon of the question as of yet unanswered:

does the pc boot? is there any symptoms? have you not started it up at all?

in the case that the pc is currently on and running... i'd say just pop the side panel off and give it a quick once over to see if anything stands out, and then go on with your life.

in case the pc is malfunctioning -- symptoms?

in the case you havent turned it on yet.. anything visual that could be a cause of worry?

Ya still works, booted it up an hour later after I closed the window and turned the heating on.