Corsair RGB 3pin Fan

Guest FrA123

Hello, I recently bought the corsair carbide 175r (case) and it comes with an RGB Fan, however, i don't have rgb headers on my motherboard, therefore i cannot use it. I'm just wondering, if i buy one of those controllers on aliexpress or ebay, will these work with corsair rgb fan? it's not iCue, it's just one that comes with the case.

examples: 5v usb mini rf17

Coolmoon rgb controller

1 hour ago, FrA123 said:

Hello, I recently bought the corsair carbide 175r (case) and it comes with an RGB Fan, however, i don't have rgb headers on my motherboard, therefore i cannot use it. I'm just wondering, if i buy one of those controllers on aliexpress or ebay, will these work with corsair rgb fan? it's not iCue, it's just one that comes with the case.

examples: 5v usb mini rf17

Coolmoon rgb controller

My memory is Corsair at one time or another produced several lines of fans which were not compatible with each other. To make it more fun there is also rgb and argb which are totally different systems too. This might for example be an argb fan which is merely being called an rgb fan.  I don’t know if “the one that comes with the case” effectively describes the fan model or not.  It might.  Are there any stickers or markings at all on it?  Failing that a photo or two might be useful. Might also be only one model of fan ever came with that case, so it would then be known.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is Corsair at one time or another produced several lines of fans which were not compatible with each other. To make it more fun there is also rgb and argb which are totally different systems too. This might for example be an argb fan which is merely being called an rgb fan.  I don’t know if “the one that comes with the case” effectively describes the fan model or not.  It might.  Are there any stickers or markings at all on it?  Failing that a photo or two might be useful. Might also be only one model of fan ever came with that case, so it would then be known.

the one that came with the case is close enough to the sp120mm but it has 2 cables, one with 3 pins and the other is 4 holes for rgb connector, so i i'll get this controller so i can put the 3 pins on my motherboard and the rgb pin straight on the 4 pin adaptor for the rgb connector, but since is third party one i donno if it'll work.

13 minutes ago, FrA123 said:

the one that came with the case is close enough to the sp120mm but it has 2 cables, one with 3 pins and the other is 4 holes for rgb connector, so i i'll get this controller so i can put the 3 pins on my motherboard and the rgb pin straight on the 4 pin adaptor for the rgb connector, but since is third party one i donno if it'll work.

Wait, so the fan is 3 pin, but the rgb is 4 pin female? A 3 pin fan will work but it’s not pwm.  You can put a 3 pin fan connector in a 4 pin pwm port by simply running it to one side.  Argb iirc is 3 pin, which means as a 4 pin female rgb, it’s not argb.  You can plug the 3 pin fan into any 4 pin fan connector but it will just run at 100% speed all the time unless there is a voltage regulation.  They way one controls speed with 3 pin fans is to control the voltage. For example I’ve got a 3pin cable with a resistor in it so 12v goes in 1 side, but 10v comes out the other, so a fan plugged into it spins slower. There might be voltage control for the fan headers on your motherboard.  I don’t know.

i have no idea what way to go with the rgb though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

cors air i2c conetor.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

38 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

cors air i2c conetor.jpg

I thought there were a mess of different rgb connectors though.  One for more or less every manufacturer with several even doing more than one.

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought there were a mess of different rgb connectors though.  One for more or less every manufacturer with several even doing more than one.

oh aha i  didn't awser the question ops... well ya rgb is a mess and its complicated...

so the pro line dose have more cables but also can handle 12 fans but the newer core can only do 6 fans but less cables. also the pro can do there expensive strips well the core can not (or at least with out modded cables)

so if you wanted 12 fans with the core you need 2 controllers so... but every 3 pack come with a lighting node core so...

corsair argb controller guide.png

heres a list of connectors thats not al of them i was going to look and fined them all but lost interested.. i wanfed to wright a guide but as you can tell im not good at exsplan my self so it probably just confuse people more...

rgb connetors.png

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links