Why doesn't the forum use a open source & free forum/ UI template sollution, instead of sticking to a paid closed one?

Jeskspie

What benefits would using a free and open source system have compared to the current forum software? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

24 minutes ago, Jeskspie said:

Why?

For the same reason people use Windows and not linux.

Because this works, and there's support if you need it.  

1 minute ago, Jeskspie said:

Free > paid

Only if the two things being compared are equal in all other aspects. Sure, I could use OpenHfsPlus.efi for Hackintoshing which is FOSS, but HfsPlus.efi is better despite being closed-source and proprietary to Apple.

elephants

The forum software is a relatively small part of the cost of running the site, and in return we have software that, for the most part, just works. There are certainly bugs, and I certainly have my issues with some of the decisions that IPS makes, but I don't think we would have an overall better experience switching to Discourse, or any of the other alternatives.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, Jeskspie said:

What

Well, here's an analogy

Someone is giving away an old car for free, but it doesn't drive at all

While someone else is selling an car with a decent driving experience and good gas economy

Sure, they are both cars, but in this case paying for the car is better than taking the free one

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

8 hours ago, tkitch said:

For the same reason people use Windows and not linux.

Because this works, and there's support if you need it.  

Implying there aren't plenty of open source solutions that 'work'.

In this case, no point in changing what works

3 hours ago, Jaesop said:

Implying there aren't plenty of open source solutions that 'work'.

There probably are. But considering the start with just Linus and Luke, with minimal developing time and resources, anything but full deployment ready package wasn't really feasible option. If there would have something like what Red Hat or NextCloud are, open-source with easily added plugins and premium support, things might have been different. Switching now, this long afterwards is more difficult than starting from scratch.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Caroline said:

did you ever hear the tragedy of FOSS anon?

Free isn't always better. That's a shame tho.

GIMP > PS
Linux > Window

Free > Paid

RIght > Wrong

Stupid < Clever

1 hour ago, Jeskspie said:

GIMP > PS
Linux > Window

Free > Paid

RIght > Wrong

Stupid < Clever

This really is not great argument. For one, you haven't brought up any good reason for switching feature-wise, or support-wise. Your only argument is "free". Of that list, the two last points highlight more your attitude than anything else.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

< removed by moderation >They used what works for them the best and they may have tried a few different ones out and settled on this one, its a pretty simple thing. If you think Linux is better then windows, you are a part of the problem. Linux is not better then windows, Just like how windows is not better then linux. Each has their use cases and the amount of people that want to play around verses just simple. The reason why Linux will never be mainstream, is its biggest advantage over windows, General Flexibility and ability to make a Linux distro VERY specific and make it do exactly what it needs to and nothing more. Windows becomes more bloated the longer it exists, but its also pretty simple. Theres a reason why Iphones users tend to prefer Mac systems, its just a simpler process for them. Does it make one better? No, but most people dont want to bother with linux and nothing you do will change that.

Edited by LogicalDrm

14 hours ago, Jeskspie said:

GIMP > PS
Linux > Window

Free > Paid

RIght > Wrong

Stupid < Clever

So basically you've never used those programs and have no argument but free is better because you think so?

Opinions =/= facts

Just stating something doesn't make it true, not by a long shot. You've present ZERO arguments and just spewed garbage like a child. If you're going to have constructive feedback and criticism then step up and provide arguments and points other than "free am greetest!!!"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Lmao everyone is quite salty, this was meant to be a lighthearted discussion, I got my answer from cornel mortis, I thought I made that this was lighthearted when I said "clever > stupid"

7 hours ago, Jeskspie said:

Lmao everyone is quite salty, this was meant to be a lighthearted discussion, I got my answer from cornel mortis, I thought I made that this was lighthearted when I said "clever > stupid"

You should probably make it a little more clear than that. A '/s' or '/jk' would make a joke or sarcastic comment more clear

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I think it's mostly to do with features and ease of use for the members. IPS is considered a bit more of a modern software when compared to free or open source software. Mainly due to the part that the developers of IPS are being paid compared to the free work that Open source forum software developers do. As colonel_mortis said the cost is relatively small when running a website.

CPU i5 4200U | MB HP 2166 | GPU GeForce GT 740M | RAM 8GB | MOUSE HP Morfeyuo | Storage 1x750GB HDD

AdminForum - Webmaster, SEO & Admin Community

Invision Community and Woltlab Suite are the only two software packages in existence which come with

1. a decent forum software and
  2. a full-featured CMS with a gallery, blogs etc. and
  3. enterprise-grade support.

There is no advantage in replacing it with phpBB or whatever.

Write in C.

On 12/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, Jeskspie said:

Why?

This is a question that people who work with enterprise support don't ask.

FLOSS may not have a direct cost associated with it, but the person running it sure does.

Example:

Let's say Bob is your IT guy.

Bob's salary, benefits, taxes, etc costs $125,000 CAD/year (this is an entry pay scale BTW, experienced sysadmins usually cost much more) for the typical ~250 working days per year.  That's $500/workday.

Forum software and support costs $1500/year (it does, I checked).  That means that if the sysadmin saves 31 working hours in a year by having somebody to call for support, and not having to validate that the updates aren't going to break things, the forum software has paid for itself.  Bob will save hundreds of hours/year by having a company do the heavy lifting for them.

33 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Boy for $500 a day I'd be creating the software myself typing on a keyboard made out of solid gold, deploying updates manually on every computer, taking all of the helpdesk requests and not getting mad when users tell me Chrome is "the internet" 3 times in a row while watching me clean the OS all while wearing a rose tiara. That's more than I earn in 5 months.

That's $500 CAD cost, your gross pay would be about $200 USD/day ($25/hr or $50,000/year).  LMG is a Canadian firm so I was mixing currencies in my earlier reply, and at least where I am that's very lowball - your local retail PC technicians make that much, so it's for people trying to get into higher paying corporate IT jobs.

You have to remember that cost to a firm is much higher than just what you pocket - there's insurance costs (health, workers comp, unemployment, etc), taxes, retirement plans, onboarding/offboarding, equipment, furniture, office space, and the list goes on.  Generally your salary is about half or less of what it costs a company to employ you.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jeskspie said:

GIMP > PS

I'd like it if I could agree but I can't. I think it's great that GIMP is such a feature rich product and in many ways a FOSS alternative, but it is just a pain in the ass.