Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Moving OS NVMe into a new build with the same components

TheRealDude

Hei All

I got my Aorus B450 Elite V2 bricked or burned, and my OS drive is 1 x NVMe, + 2 SSDs as data storages. I'm trying to either directly move my OS drive or at least acces it to retrieve my files with no success. I've changed my MB with the exact same one, mounted the NVMe OS alone, the boot system can't recognize it, tried adding an SSD with a OS to at least access the NVMe from withing the system, no success. Any clue to what should I do?

8 minutes ago, TheRealDude said:

tried adding an SSD with a OS to at least access the NVMe from withing the system, no success.

No success accessing the other drive, or no success booting at all?

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Your OS is hardware bound to the MoBo, if i remember correctly. Switching that basically means you have to get another license. There's a way to move it over, but it's never worked for me. I just paid for another Windows 10 license. This is all assuming you're using Windows. You can clear the nvme drive in bios and get a usb for windows.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

License has nothing to do with being able to boot or access the drive.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No success accessing the other drive, or no success booting at all?

Both.

1/ Using only the OS NVMe, boot dashboard, no acces to any system, it's not even showing up on the boot mb page

2/ Mounting another OS SSD all along with the NVMe OS, accessing the SSD OS windows, the NVMe isn't showing up inside the system

1 hour ago, TheRealDude said:

Both.

1/ Using only the OS NVMe, boot dashboard, no acces to any system, it's not even showing up on the boot mb page

2/ Mounting another OS SSD all along with the NVMe OS, accessing the SSD OS windows, the NVMe isn't showing up inside the system

If it's not showing up as a boot option (in the BIOS menu boot order, not just a quick select menu) then there's not a ton you can do aside from reseating it, making sure there's no signs of physical damage, updating the board's BIOS, or trying it on a different system. If the device is showing up in the BIOS boot order menu and just not bootable then I'd look at repairing the partition table (ex. bootrec.exe).

Should note as well if it has any critical info you're looking to get out of it (like a crypto wallet or something) and it actually is damaged then every time it's powered up you're risking more corruption (best to just give it to a recovery service). 

: New mobo, so check bios settings for AHCI, CSM etc.

If not set properly drkve wont be seen or be seen but not eligable as boot device.