Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intel 12th Gen build randomly freezes and reboots

Galahal
 Share

https://valid.x86.fr/dsye7t

I've built this PC about a week ago. Since then I've been facing one weird issue of PC randomly getting freezed and reboots automatically after being stuck for couple seconds. It occurs even when I'm literally keeping my PC idle but if I put any CPU intensive tasks it occurs more often leaving the task unfinished and I've to start over. 

Case: Lian Li Performance Mesh II RGB, PSU : Corsair RM850x, Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master ML240R

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Galahal said:

https://valid.x86.fr/dsye7t

I've built this PC about a week ago. Since then I've been facing one weird issue of PC randomly getting freezed and reboots automatically after being stuck for couple seconds. It occurs even when I'm literally keeping my PC idle but if I put any CPU intensive tasks it occurs more often leaving the task unfinished and I've to start over. 

Case: Lian Li Performance Mesh II RGB, PSU : Corsair RM850x, Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master ML240R

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

win11 is new, and integer level updates for windows are notorious for taking a year or more to actually run right.  My fist suspicion is win11. logs might be useful. Also machine specs. 

The only thing I’ve got for you hardware wise is maybe a memory check.

 

Spoiler

heat load.  seeing 81° in the validation which is higher than some perhaps would prefer. But shouldn’t cause a freeze.  Functional number would need to be changed a good deal from that, and be a lot higher than this.


memory integrity.  Not a high probability with this one, but one of those de rigour things. 

 

PSU wattage.  850w PSU is big enough. More than big enough even.  Also the model is fairly well known. Something unusually funky would need to be happening there. 

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any overclocks, undervolts or the like applied?

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update motherboard BIOS to version 0803

 

ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 0803
"1.Improve System Performance and stability
2.Improve device compatibility.
3.Support Legacy Game Compatibility Mode to fix DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue.
4.Improve DRAM stability
5.Update CPU microcode
6.Fix Intel VMD issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Any overclocks, undervolts or the like applied?

No stock settings applied with latest bios. Only xmp is applied for the ram. 

 

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

win11 is new, and integer level updates for windows are notorious for taking a year or more to actually run right.  My fist suspicion is win11. logs might be useful. Also machine specs. 

The only thing I’ve got for you hardware wise is maybe a memory check.

 

  Hide contents

heat load.  seeing 81° in the validation which is higher than some perhaps would prefer. But shouldn’t cause a freeze.  Functional number would need to be changed a good deal from that, and be a lot higher than this.


memory integrity.  Not a high probability with this one, but one of those de rigour things. 

 

PSU wattage.  850w PSU is big enough. More than big enough even.  Also the model is fairly well known. Something unusually funky would need to be happening there. 

 

By logs do you mean event logs? Here's few Errors from event log. But I've no idea about these.

11.png

22.png

33.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Update motherboard BIOS to version 0803

 

ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 0803
"1.Improve System Performance and stability
2.Improve device compatibility.
3.Support Legacy Game Compatibility Mode to fix DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue.
4.Improve DRAM stability
5.Update CPU microcode
6.Fix Intel VMD issue

Oh new bios came out today. I will update to it soon. Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Galahal said:

No stock settings applied with latest bios. Only xmp is applied for the ram. 

 

By logs do you mean event logs? Here's few Errors from event log. But I've no idea about these.

11.png

22.png

33.png

Sort of a bare hope of getting a gist of what may be going on.  May produce something useful, may not. The event IDs combined with criticals are the bits that most matter there I think. Might tell where the problem is. There are what look like a bunch of power kernel errrors which imply a power or heat issue. I’m not sure how well. 
 

There’s apparently a new bios out for this machine though which may just fix everything.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've updated bios to "ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 0803"  and ran a memtest86 with no errors - https://prnt.sc/21mcb13 . It froze just a minute ago and rebooted. So that's the update so far. Pretty frustrated at this point with a new build and running into issue being old less than a week.  
Event Log gives the same kernel error and WHEA-logger error after the reboot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Galahal said:

I've updated bios to "ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 0803"  and ran a memtest86 with no errors - https://prnt.sc/21mcb13 . It froze just a minute ago and rebooted. So that's the update so far. Pretty frustrated at this point with a new build and running into issue being old less than a week.  
Event Log gives the same kernel error and WHEA-logger error after the reboot. 

So the bios update didn’t help.  Means there is likely something messed up in either the hardware or the config.  For the config stuff lacking any real indicators, the standard move is nuke and reinstall everything.  Clearing CMOS to put bios in default is likely unnecessary.  I’m assuming the bios update reset XMP too.  It’s easy enough to do though. There is the rest of windows of course.  Clean reinstall most likely.  The idea here is to reduce the unknowns.  It will either fix it or it won’t, in which case it mostly just leaves hardware. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far update on this:

I've rolled back to win10 from win 11 with a fresh installation. So far the system is running fine for whole day without any sudden reboots. However I can't turn on xmp profile now. Whenever I enable XMP profile as soon as system boots into OS it reboots. But running fine with 4800 MHz as default. So for now I'm fine with 4800 MHz as long as my system is stable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Galahal said:

So far update on this:

I've rolled back to win10 from win 11 with a fresh installation. So far the system is running fine for whole day without any sudden reboots. However I can't turn on xmp profile now. Whenever I enable XMP profile as soon as system boots into OS it reboots. But running fine with 4800 MHz as default. So for now I'm fine with 4800 MHz as long as my system is stable. 

So it worked.  This sounds like your XMP profile is messed up then.  There are people around who know what to do with that.  I am not one of them.

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×