Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

POP OS with Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (EVGA) wrong resolution

Go to solution Solved by Nicolas Santorsola,

Thank you everyone for your help

After trying multiple times, installing, uninstalling, I finally got it to work with sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390.

This last time, it worked fine.

I tried POP OS 20.04 LTS with a machine that has Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (EVGA).

During the demo before installation, resolution reaches 1024 x 768 despites using a wide screen, however after installing, it gets stuck at 640x480.

I checked and they use the exact same drivers on demo and installed.

I tried to install the Nvidia 390 drivers, and it doesnt improve the resolution.

What can I do?

Try it with the open source driver (nouveau) instead. That driver was written around those older cards and can usually work better than the proprietary ones for pre-900 series (give or take, I forget exactly when Nvidia made their GPUs especially hard to write open source drivers).

If that doesn't work, you can always try to force a display resolution through xrandr through the terminal.

58 minutes ago, Nicolas Santorsola said:

I tried POP OS 20.04 LTS with a machine that has Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (EVGA).

During the demo before installation, resolution reaches 1024 x 768 despites using a wide screen, however after installing, it gets stuck at 640x480.

I checked and they use the exact same drivers on demo and installed.

I tried to install the Nvidia 390 drivers, and it doesnt improve the resolution.

What can I do?

Yes, that's one of the hurdles (among others) you'll deal with using a Nvidia GPU; depending on the driver.

For how old the GPU is, you could just as easily replace it with a used AMD GPU of near same specs for cheap.

My mom's TV PC had a GTX 650. No matter what I did, the system would lock up randomly (with the open or closed source driver). Once I got an AMD HD card (for like 30 bucks from Kijiji), all the issues I had disappeared. I didn't have to mess with drivers either. Just plug and play.

The takeaway from this is, don't use Nvidia if you want to use Linux. Go AMD (older cards will be called ATI). It's just less hassle.

After trying multiple times, installing, uninstalling, I finally got it to work with sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390.

1 minute ago, Nicolas Santorsola said:

Okay. But next time, consider using AMD. It's just easier to use on Linux.