Laptop motherboard sparked when touched by a screwdriver

ImQaeo

Replacing the thermal compound on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop, I didn't think to disconnect the battery and my screwdriver brushed alongside something (see picture). There was multiple bright orange flashes which I'm assuming were sparks. I pressed the power button after resealing anything and it cut out immediately. Any ways to fix at home? take to a repair shop?

IMG_20211202_172313.jpg

That's a resistor that got blown up. Could be an easy fix, could be a hard one, impossible to know if it had any cascading effects without it being replaced and attempting to be powered on.

6 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

That's a resistor that got blown up. Could be an easy fix, could be a hard one, impossible to know if it had any cascading effects without it being replaced and attempting to be powered on.

alrighty thanks, do you know if your average repair shop could tackle this? I don't have any spare resistors, soldering tools or time on me! 

2 minutes ago, ImQaeo said:

alrighty thanks, do you know if your average repair shop could tackle this? I don't have any spare resistors, soldering tools or time on me! 

It's possible, worth looking into. Did we learn our lesson for next time: ____

Just now, BiotechBen said:

It's possible, worth looking into. Did we learn our lesson for next time: ____

is the blank: Duh. ?? I definitely did lol

7 minutes ago, ImQaeo said:

As long as you find one that's willing to open up your laptop and go past the "let's see if it's under warranty" stage yeah. If you're in Canada Memory Express is a good option.

Probably worthwhile to take the boot drive out as well if you're comfortable before sending it in in case you want to get any data off of it (just make sure you're grounded and the board's discharged first 😅)

2 minutes ago, uncreativespace said:

As long as you find one that's willing to open up your laptop and go past the "let's see if it's under warranty" stage yeah. If you're in Canada Memory Express is a good option.

Probably worthwhile to take the boot drive out as well if you're comfortable before sending it in in case you want to get any data off of it (just make sure you're grounded and the board's discharged first 😅)

Yup I'm definitely taking my ssd and upgraded RAM and out of the laptop and into my pocket for safekeeping. I've got a memory express that's a 5 minute bike away so that's definitely a feasible option

6 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Always unplug battery and hold power button to drain capacitors before using metal tools

Yeah this isn't the first time I've done it and it's pretty routine for me to do those steps, just got sidetracked by someone talking to me while it was coming apart I forgot all about it😅

Just now, ImQaeo said:

Yup I'm definitely taking my ssd and upgraded RAM and out of the laptop and into my pocket for safekeeping. I've got a memory express that's a 5 minute bike away so that's definitely a feasible option

Highly recommend it. The Greater Vancouver and South Calgary locations have some good technicians and the others will ship your laptop to one of those locations if they don't have the expertise.

1 minute ago, uncreativespace said:

Highly recommend it. The Greater Vancouver and South Calgary locations have some good technicians and the others will ship your laptop to one of those locations if they don't have the expertise.

Ooh sounds like fun, praying that this one doesn't have to ship it I love my baby Nitro too much to send it out from coast to coast

12 minutes ago, ImQaeo said:

Ooh sounds like fun, praying that this one doesn't have to ship it I love my baby Nitro too much to send it out from coast to coast

Lol as long as it's not a Mac it's probably easy for them. Unsure what the stores east of Winnipeg are like but all the ones I've been to in the west are my go to's for field work (when warranties aren't involved).