Very poor performance only in certain games

tychicken

I just got a graphics card for a pc I was building. Smite has performed terribly while other games, (apex legends, warzone) perform to be expected. In the games performing poorly, the gpu load is under 15% according to GPU-Z and the CPU usage is low as well. I have the latest nvidia driver and windows update. Updated motherboard chipset drivers and flashed the bios to latest version. Chipset(v2.11.26.106)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: evga 1080ti hybrid
Motherboard: Asrock B550 phantom gaming 4/ac.
Ram: 16 Gb crucial ballistix 3200
Windows 10 64 bit 21H1(19043, 1237)

Have you set the power profiles in windows and Nvidia panel to max performance? There's also a setting in the Nvidia control panel that tells the computer to prefer which graphics processor to use in OpenGL applications, I would manually set that to the 1080 ti.

1 hour ago, Broski said:

Have you set the power profiles in windows and Nvidia panel to max performance? There's also a setting in the Nvidia control panel that tells the computer to prefer which graphics processor to use in OpenGL applications, I would manually set that to the 1080 ti.

Yes, I have done both of these. 

9 hours ago, Broski said:

Have you set the power profiles in windows and Nvidia panel to max performance?

Tbh, in almost all cases thats not a good advise, all it usually accomplishes is that the card is running unnecessarily hot , and thus clocks lower than it would otherwise. 

If a game doesn't use the gpu fully that has usually other causes, like terrible programming or, not mutually exclusive, being cpu bound.

9 hours ago, Broski said:

There's also a setting in the Nvidia control panel that tells the computer to prefer which graphics processor to use in OpenGL applications, I would manually set that to the 1080 ti.

OP doesn't have an iGPU so this setting would neither be relevant nor available. 

11 hours ago, tychicken said:

Smite has performed terribly while other games, (apex legends, warzone) perform to be expected. In the games performing poorly, the gpu load is under 15% according to GPU-Z and the CPU usage is low as well

What other games perform poorly? And have you checked cpu usage on each core? Overall cpu usage isn't really relevant (unless its actually 100%) 1 core hitting 90+ usage is enough to cause issues. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

What other games perform poorly? And have you checked cpu usage on each core? Overall cpu usage isn't really relevant (unless its actually 100%) 1 core hitting 90+ usage is enough to cause issues

Terraria has also performed poorly. 

image.png.b44ead373dce0a4fedf9c58b3fc9e315.png

It seems 1 core is pinned at 100% in game

Well there's your problem cpu is responsible for pushing frames to gpu, if a core is at 100% and others aren't getting used nearly as much,  your experience will be awful. 

Although it is weird such a game would use so much cpu, you showed evidence that it actually does. 

I don't think there's much you can do than update that cpu, or play better optimized games.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't think there's much you can do than update that cpu, or play better optimized games.

Before this I played on a laptop with worse specs and I got 150+ fps with no problems.