Moving apps from a secondary drive to my main drive

archiso
Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,
3 minutes ago, archiso said:

It is a clone of the old drive, but I want to move the apps from the hdd to my new ssd for faster loading times in games and programs.

Sorry, I misread and thought the apps in question were on the original 120 GB boot drive.

I believe you will have to reinstall them on the new boot drive.

I just upgraded from a 120gb boot drive to a 1tb boot drive and want to move all the apps I had on my 1tb hdd to my new boot drive, I know if I just move the files windows wont be able to find the apps, would I have to edit PATH or something like that?

Is it a clean install of Windows on the new drive? You could always clone the old drive to the new drive entirely.

Otherwise, uninstall and reinstall will be best to avoid any issues with file path and registry references.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

22 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Is it a clean install of Windows on the new drive? You could always clone the old drive to the new drive entirely.

Otherwise, uninstall and reinstall will be best to avoid any issues with file path and registry references.

It is a clone of the old drive, but I want to move the apps from the hdd to my new ssd for faster loading times in games and programs.

1 minute ago, archiso said:

but I want to move the apps

Doesn't work like that, too many registry entries would not be modified and stuff wouldn't work.

Either uninstall/reinstall or clone the entire setup to the new SSD

The only exception to this (that I know of) is Steam, Steam will let you move the entire folder to anywhere else without a reinstall 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, archiso said:

Sorry, I misread and thought the apps in question were on the original 120 GB boot drive.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

11 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I guess I wont move them then, it would take a while to do that. 

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Doesn't work like that, too many registry entries would not be modified and stuff wouldn't work.

Either uninstall/reinstall or clone the entire setup to the new SSD

The only exception to this (that I know of) is Steam, Steam will let you move the entire folder to anywhere else without a reinstall 

Yep, I've done it with steam games before, I hope microsoft or someone else makes something to allow you to do this.