Air Conditioner make PC go Brrr

CPotter
7 minutes ago, CPotter said:

God Alex makes me want to do bad things to my motherboard.

Tomorrow on LTT I used my house as a cooler!

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

6 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

That happened a few years ago

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

That happened a few years ago

I was more envisioning sticking it to a metal wall. 

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

*Brian the Electrician Theme incoming*

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

hey you guys what refrigerant is in this airconditioner? if you guys change it to r507 or r404 you can reach much deeper temps fyi. Heck even r290 Propane would work better than r407 what i think is in this unit.

i worked in the airconditioning industrie in germany its my what do you guys call it a education and training thing 😄 we call it an "Ausbildung".

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

4 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

*Brian the Electrician Theme incoming*

Even having seen the intro I legit didn't recognise him with the glasses 😄

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Domrockt said:

hey you guys what refrigerant is in this airconditioner? if you guys change it to r507 or r404 you can reach much deeper temps fyi. Heck even r290 Propane would work better than r407 what i think is in this unit.

i worked in the airconditioning industrie in germany its my what do you guys call it a education and training thing 😄 we call it an "Ausbildung".

They're using R410A from what I understand which is a HBP refrigerant which is why the unit performs so poorly, they're also not using a correct metering device either, a crimped tube is pretty awful. A correctly sized capillary tube would be much better, or better yet us an EEV.

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

They're using R410A from what I understand which is a HBP refrigerant which is why the unit performs so poorly, they're also not using a correct metering device either, a crimped tube is pretty awful. A correctly sized capillary tube would be much better, or better yet us an EEV.

Yes i would sign that. 

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

Really enjoyed this video! I love these types of experimental, “let’s see what happens” videos that take place in the workshop. Would love to see more like this!

Always fun how complicated it can be to dumb down an AC unit, or other electronics for that matter.

It can be a fun challenge at times, but truly something that one shouldn't attempt unless one has a good few years of experience with electronics.

Though, this chip doesn't really have an "enable" pin, or rather, it is likely some transistor array that needs a bit more fancy control signals than a crude on/off switch.

But its actual text is on the other side of it, could take it off and look up the part number and take a look through its datasheet and see if it states something interesting.

image.png.2f633f640a985cfab44005f3bc8f674f.png

Personally, I think it looks a bit small to be fair. Though, the compressor likely don't run much above 1 kW to be fair, so that is likely somewhat sufficient. Or there is a larger device elsewhere that does the actual job of inverting the DC back to three phase AC.

5 minutes ago, Leek Soup said:

Would love to see more like this!

You''ll get it. Alex mentioned they're gonna use a 12th gen Intel proc in a future video. I do hope they're gonna do some Threadripper CPU as well, and perhaps a Ryzen 9 series proc too.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

good you didn't have longer hair that day or a hat on, brian the electrician, at the end of 3:59. and safety gl... I mean glasses on 😛

when you see alex and brian become a team against linus and colin. next episode of tech mythbusters! oh...

No matter how much you try to fool the sensors, you won't fool the compressor which will draw liquid any moment there - not having enough thermal load, will make the refrigerant not completely boil inside the vaporizer (CPU block) and you'll get liquid inside the compressor. You won't notice it first, just after you burn out the motor's coils.

Ex-AC service engineer speaking from experience 🙂

6 hours ago, CPotter said:

What refrigerant did u use ? R134a ?

Im guessing it was as its the most commonly used nowadays. That is likely why u couldnt get below -20c. It only boils at -25c. You shoulda tried Propene R1270 which boils at -47c.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So why not dunk the board in oil to beat condensation and water on the block and board?

Great video! One of the more polished "lets try something crazy without much planning" ones. 

18 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

I mean - I know someone using his homes slab at the heat sink for his Server farm technically.

The compressor is too small. I like at the end of the video they where suggesting building a cascade unit. Yes, do that! 🙂 

I never gotten into SS or cascade for all the work and energy required to run it, can just get some Dry Ice and actually get some decently cold temps -75c would be no problem even with a home made Dice pot.

Cool video though. Brings me back to many years ago when Drewmiester and Sparkey247 where building units locally by me. I got to watch several builds take place. 

First off I enjoy watching these videos and appreciate Linus allowing this type of content creation. It is in my opinion the root of "Hacking" and exploration anyone can do.

1. Have you thought about using PLC to control the AC system? 

2. I've thought about the condensation issue some regarding OC in general.... What if you placed a wall around the open test bench, sealed to the desk and a couple of inches / Cm above the tallest point of the test bench. Then pour Argon (Ar) into the walled container until it displaces all of the air. Would this no solve the condensation issue? There is most likely a better gas that's heavier but Ar is cheap and safe for experimenting. 

@Squashy I have merged your thread into the official video thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ohh wow, Brian and Alex really work very well together. I watched the Linus + Brian videos too, but I prefer this one.