6E Router/ mesh network best most stable opinions?

NoobIam

A lot of us will have opinions on the specific product we chose, but not an extensive knowledge of all of your options. For that, you'd need a site like Small Net Builder's reviews. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I know if I had the money and the space to actually use it, I'd get the latest Netgear Orbi system. I was extremely happy with the older Orbi system I installed at my parents place. 

The new one is $1500 for a 3-pack https://www.zdnet.com/product/netgear-orbi-rbke963-wi-fi-system-802-11a-b-g-n-ac-ax-desktop/

13 minutes ago, rickeo said:

A lot of us will have opinions on the specific product we chose, but not an extensive knowledge of all of your options. For that, you'd need a site like Small Net Builder's reviews. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I know if I had the money and the space to actually use it, I'd get the latest Netgear Orbi system. I was extremely happy with the older Orbi system I installed at my parents place. 

The new one is $1500 for a 3-pack https://www.zdnet.com/product/netgear-orbi-rbke963-wi-fi-system-802-11a-b-g-n-ac-ax-desktop/

Thank you for the info the small builders seems to be a bit behind on there rankings. 
Seems like there still is not much out there for 6e. Was hopeing by this time they would have it all settled out and stable. 
That being said is the Rbk963 even worth it or RBK853 still the way to go till 6e is more adopted? 

As @rickeocorrectly pointed out, it's all just what works for me. Very few people, if any, on this forum will have had experience with multiple different mesh ecosystems, to be able to actually compare or contrast. That said, I'm really happy with the TP-Link Deco X68s I bought for my home. Not 6E (not aware of any that are, actually), but I was able to achieve full coverage in a three story house with just two, and I can get around 800Mbps in the farthest point from the modem, a floor down. Good enough for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I believe most companies have held off on 6E due to the component shortage, its not a good time to be launching any new products.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

As @rickeocorrectly pointed out, it's all just what works for me. Very few people, if any, on this forum will have had experience with multiple different mesh ecosystems, to be able to actually compare or contrast. That said, I'm really happy with the TP-Link Deco X68s I bought for my home. Not 6E (not aware of any that are, actually), but I was able to achieve full coverage in a three story house with just two, and I can get around 800Mbps in the farthest point from the modem, a floor down. Good enough for me.

I saw the deco IT seems to give you a lot for a great price point. But what scares me with them is this talk. 

"

Reviewed in the United States on August 28, 2020
Style: 3-5 Bedrooms,3-packVerified Purchase
Read the privacy policy in the manual before you purchase. You can only install the device if you agree with the manufacturer's "privacy" policy. The policy includes the automatic download of user data, including internet use and much more. Why not just allow the customer the option to use the product without having to give their use data to the manufacturer? I did not install and sent it back. I will find another router.
934 people found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 13, 2020
This mesh unit is great, covers our whole house.
However Security Encryption is POOR
In a environment where everyone in our development is on WiFi, I don’t want them in OUR WiFi
It does NOT support WPA AES encryption only the weaker TKIP which is broken.
It does NOT support WP3 which is a 2020 standard.

As for Support another flaw is you CANNOT select the 2.4 or 5 GHz channels.
The Deco picks and if it picks poorly and there is interference from neighbors it CANNOT be changed.
Support has known about this AND THE AES issue since 2019 and has done NOTHING.

The answer for Every Engineering issue is “We will pass the information along”
As a router it CANNOT be configured locally or through a Web interface only with an IOS app.

The latest Apple updates (iOS 14) and MacOS will now flags this product as having Weak Security
The whole DECO line regardless of model is an orphan product.
If your looking for coverage it’s great
Product security and support look elsewhere."

Tho cnet had this to say and idk if its gotten better?

"TP-Link Deco W7200 mesh router review: The one you've been waiting for"

28 minutes ago, NoobIam said:

I saw the deco IT seems to give you a lot for a great price point. But what scares me with them is this talk. 

"

Reviewed in the United States on August 28, 2020
Read the privacy policy in the manual before you purchase. You can only install the device if you agree with the manufacturer's "privacy" policy. The policy includes the automatic download of user data, including internet use and much more. Why not just allow the customer the option to use the product without having to give their use data to the manufacturer? I did not install and sent it back. I will find another router.
934 people found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
Reviewed in the United States on September 13, 2020
This mesh unit is great, covers our whole house.
However Security Encryption is POOR
In a environment where everyone in our development is on WiFi, I don’t want them in OUR WiFi
It does NOT support WPA AES encryption only the weaker TKIP which is broken.
It does NOT support WP3 which is a 2020 standard.

As for Support another flaw is you CANNOT select the 2.4 or 5 GHz channels.
The Deco picks and if it picks poorly and there is interference from neighbors it CANNOT be changed.
Support has known about this AND THE AES issue since 2019 and has done NOTHING.

The answer for Every Engineering issue is “We will pass the information along”
As a router it CANNOT be configured locally or through a Web interface only with an IOS app.

The latest Apple updates (iOS 14) and MacOS will now flags this product as having Weak Security
The whole DECO line regardless of model is an orphan product.
If your looking for coverage it’s great
Product security and support look elsewhere."

Tho cnet had this to say and idk if its gotten better?

"TP-Link Deco W7200 mesh router review: The one you've been waiting for"

I'm not sure what that's all about, particularly the last post. It has all the latest security, even WPA3. It does have a web interface and an Android app. It's also not an orphaned product line. TP-Link is pushing the Deco line hard. It's either a really old post or the user is absolutely clueless.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 hours ago, NoobIam said:

The policy includes the automatic download of user data, including internet use and much more

Ya I don't have any experience with it. Im glad to hear what you had to say. That one part bothers me and I don't know how or why they would want to do that.

On 12/2/2021 at 6:52 PM, NoobIam said:

Ya I don't have any experience with it. Im glad to hear what you had to say. That one part bothers me and I don't know how or why they would want to do that.

The same reason Microsoft collects user data in Windows. Because they can sell it to advertisers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The same reason Microsoft collects user data in Windows. Because they can sell it to advertisers. 

Microsoft doesn't sell user data, they use it themselves internally - it's far too valuable to be selling like that!

From what little info is out there from former co-workers who do have extensive experience: Netgear Orbi is the way to go, or just skip 6E entirely and go with WiFi 6 for now.  Very few good products have launched where the cost justifies the performance.

9 minutes ago, jec6613 said:

Microsoft doesn't sell user data, they use it themselves internally - it's far too valuable to be selling like that!

From what little info is out there from former co-workers who do have extensive experience: Netgear Orbi is the way to go, or just skip 6E entirely and go with WiFi 6 for now.  Very few good products have launched where the cost justifies the performance.

I was waiting on 6E but when I got the new MacBook and even that isn't 6E (already upgraded my gaming laptop to it) so it didn't seem worth waiting any more.  I got the Zyxel in my sig which on a good day hits Gigabit.  Sadly most days aren't remotely good, I think there's just too much interference around here as it doesn't seem to matter what channels I use, why I was waiting for 6E in the first place.

My phone seems to get much longer battery life on WiFi 6.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7