Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3700x with 3080 ti - will it bottleneck it ?

 Share

Hey. 

I got to the point where people telling me to keep the 3700x for another year or 2 with 3080 ti. 

And then upgrade. 

Should I do it? will it bottleneck gpu badly? 

Or just buy 5800x and sell the 3700 x

 

mainly this juice i need for gaming,. 

CPU - i7 4790k, Motherboard - Asus Hero VII, Memory  - HyperX Beast 1600mhz 16GB ,

GPU GTX 1070 MSI Gaming-X 8GB,  Case - Corsair 760T black,

Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 250 + 500 GB  + WD blue 1TB,

PSU - Corsair HX750i, Display - Samsung 24 inch 1080p,  Cooling - Noctua HN15D, 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker, Mouse - Logitech G502, Operating System - Win 7 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It really doesn't matter unless you're going for competitive benchmarking. That combo will play anything you can throw at it at a high level for a while yet. Possibly getting a few more fps with a newer CPU doesn't change the gaming experience.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, porina said:

It really doesn't matter unless you're going for competitive benchmarking. That combo will play anything you can throw at it at a high level for a while yet. Possibly getting a few more fps with a newer CPU doesn't change the gaming experience.

I am asking cause of this

https://www.cpuagent.com/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/bottleneck/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti?res=2&quality=ultra 

CPU - i7 4790k, Motherboard - Asus Hero VII, Memory  - HyperX Beast 1600mhz 16GB ,

GPU GTX 1070 MSI Gaming-X 8GB,  Case - Corsair 760T black,

Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 250 + 500 GB  + WD blue 1TB,

PSU - Corsair HX750i, Display - Samsung 24 inch 1080p,  Cooling - Noctua HN15D, 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker, Mouse - Logitech G502, Operating System - Win 7 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, keavlar said:

I am asking cause of this

That's on their test system at their settings. The potential difference will be different depending on your hardware and settings choice.

 

With the above in mind, if we take their numbers, are those fps difference going to affect your gaming experience? The lowest fps game they listed, goes from 131 to 148 fps. Is 131 fps unplayable to you that 148 fps will fix that? That's why I say it doesn't matter. The fps the system can throw out will cope with any game at sensible high end settings.

 

Out of interest, what is your display? 3080 Ti will really shine at 4k. It's a bit overkill for 1440p, but I wouldn't say no to one anyway 😄 

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

3700x with 3080 ti - will it bottleneck it ?

yes

8 minutes ago, porina said:

Out of interest, what is your display? 3080 Ti will really shine at 4k. It's a bit overkill for 1440p, but I wouldn't say no to one anyway 😄 

overkill doesnt excist. playing in gpu bottleneck, is playing in the world of LAG. Better do console then, much cheaper than PC.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

overkill doesnt excist. playing in gpu bottleneck, is playing in the world of LAG. Better do console then, much cheaper than PC.

What lag? At least for my gaming, since going G-sync, render lag has not been a problem. I can't speak for those who play games at like 400fps low settings/resolution. Consoles don't have the games I care about.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, porina said:

What lag? At least for my gaming, since going G-sync, render lag has not been a problem. I can't speak for those who play games at like 400fps low settings/resolution. Consoles don't have the games I care about.

i want 4k 240 with 40series. :]

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Every system has a bottleneck. What matters is the needs of the particular applications or workflows you're doing. For gaming, it's hard to bottleneck a CPU at 1440p or above. At 1080p, you might create a bottleneck at the CPU, depending on the game. However, that's not necessarily a problem. So you only get 400 FPS in CS:GO instead of 425, for example. It doesn't matter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

Every system has a bottleneck. What matters is the needs of the particular applications or workflows you're doing. For gaming, it's hard to bottleneck a CPU at 1440p or above. At 1080p, you might create a bottleneck at the CPU, depending on the game. However, that's not necessarily a problem. So you only get 400 FPS in CS:GO instead of 425, for example. It doesn't matter.

or he could just have 120-150fps in apex legends instead of 300fps, cause he is using a god damn slow 3700x

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

 

or he could just have 120-150fps in apex legends instead of 300fps, cause he is using a god damn slow 3700x

What in the world makes you think a 3700X would be remotely "slow"? You'd need a 11th gen+ or Zen 3 to beat it, so it's not exactly a slouch, even if it's a little old at this point. Plenty of people gaming just fine on much older, less capable hardware.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

What in the world makes you think a 3700X would be remotely "slow"? You'd need a 11th gen+ or Zen 3 to beat it, so it's not exactly a slouch, even if it's a little old at this point. Plenty of people gaming just fine on much older, less capable hardware.

in gaming? 20% slower then intel 8th gen.
Slower than my 8700k.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

in gaming? 20% slower then intel 8th gen.
Slower than my 8700k.

You're cracked.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

You're cracked.

image.png.9ca378f83bab8c0b3bebc349b9dce5a0.png

 

just compare to 11600k at 4.6GHz. while 10600k and 8700k are essentially all the same while rocketlake is even weaker than both in some games.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

So when using something like a 3080ti at 1080p difference will atleast be about 20% to my 5GHz, 4000CL17 overclocked 8700k.

Not that i needed the gamestar chart, https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-test-2021,3372889.html#ryzen-7-3700x-im-spiele-test-720p-aufloesung

Already knew where the performance of this CPUs where at for gaming.....

 

Ryzen 3000 was still well behind intel, a waste of silicon in terms of gaming performance. Good for productivity tho.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

image.png.9ca378f83bab8c0b3bebc349b9dce5a0.png

 

just compare to 11600k at 4.6GHz. while 10600k and 8700k are essentially all the same while rocketlake is even weaker than both in some games.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

So when using something like a 3080ti at 1080p difference will be atleast about 20% to my 5GHz, 4000CL17 overclocked 8700k.

Not that i needed the gamestar chart, https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-test-2021,3372889.html#ryzen-7-3700x-im-spiele-test-720p-aufloesung

Already knew where the performance of this CPUs where at for gaming.....

But plenty of gamers don't play at 1080p competitive settings. I'm a 1440p High-Ultra single-player gamer, so anything from a 3600 or a 8700K to a 5950X or a 12900K will be equivalent. A 2600 or 7700K might be a bit slower depending on the game, but even those are probably fine.

 

Yesterday I was playing Quantum Break at 1440p max settings on my 2060 Super and I was getting around 90-115fps with 20-30% utilization for my 5900X. None of the cores were maxed out. To lower the FPS in that game with a CPU bottleneck at those settings would require something much slower.

 

Sure, the 2060 Super is itself much slower than a 3080 Ti, but I'd probably run into the 170Hz refresh rate on my monitor before a 3700X would be the limitation in that situation. In those kinds of games, you don't really benefit from going over the refresh rate of the monitor, so for me, any CPU capable of pushing 170fps in a game is equivalent to any other CPU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

But plenty of gamers don't play at 1080p competitive settings. I'm a 1440p High-Ultra single-player gamer, so anything from a 3600 or a 8700K to a 5950X or a 12900K will be equivalent. A 2600 or 7700K might be a bit slower depending on the game, but even those are probably fine.

 

Yesterday I was playing Quantum Break at 1440p max settings on my 2060 Super and I was getting around 90-115fps with 20-30% utilization for my 5900X. None of the cores were maxed out. To lower the FPS in that game with a CPU bottleneck at those settings would require something much slower.

 

Sure, the 2060 Super is itself much slower than a 3080 Ti, but I'd probably run into the 170Hz refresh rate on my monitor before a 3700X would be the limitation in that situation. In those kinds of games, you don't really benefit from going over the refresh rate of the monitor, so for me, any CPU capable of pushing 170fps in a game is equivalent to any other CPU.

I dont care about FPS in single player games all that much, im happy to get 100fps in cool single player games. With gsync doesnt even have to be at that.

I also wouldnt worry about potential bottlenecks at high graphic settings or very high resolutions. Its not essential for me to get low latency gameplay in such games.

 

But when i get asked about if there would be a Bottleneck issue, i kinda have to assume that FPS are relevant.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the OP can afford a 3080 Ti he can probably afford a CPU upgrade. The 3700x will definitely hold back a 3080 Ti depending on the resolution and desired FPS.

 

CPU i5 12600K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 | GPU Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 Mhz | Monitor ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B | PSU ASUS Rog Strix 850G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

If the OP can afford a 3080 Ti he can probably afford a CPU upgrade. The 3700x will definitely hold back a 3080 Ti depending on the resolution and desired FPS.

 

yea or he probably need all the money to afford the 3080ti.

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bobbysixjp said:

If the OP can afford a 3080 Ti he can probably afford a CPU upgrade. The 3700x will definitely hold back a 3080 Ti depending on the resolution and desired FPS.

Being able to afford an upgrade is necessary but not sufficient to justify one.

 

I'm using RAM running at DDR4-3200 CL16 for my 5900X. Considering that I over $550 on my CPU, I could certainly afford to buy a nicer RAM kit for $250.

 

But why would I do that unless it's going to give me a meaningful upgrade? For what I do with my computer, I wouldn't really benefit much from higher speed, lower latency memory. In the same way, if the OP isn't playing games that benefit from super high FPS, then even if affordable, the upgrade is kinda pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

You're cracked.

Outside of a few titles, Skylake+++++++ with enough core count, cache, and frequency (overclocked 8700k, 9900k, 10900k, etc) generally do significantly outperform Zen 2 at gaming with a sufficiently strong GPU and the right settings; it's been a thing that's been explored ad nauseam on Gamers Nexus and several other outlets for the past several years.

 

Here's an example of a pretty CPU heavy game with only a 2080ti

 

tomb-raider_1080p.png

 

As you can see, even a stock 8700k is ahead of all Zen2 here...it pulls ahead even harder with an OC. It will be close to the 5.1ghz 10600k result in this chart.

 

Here's another example of RTX 3080 CPU scaling...at 1080p/medium the gap between Zen2 and Skylake++++ is quite large.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomshardware.com/amp/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

 

A 3080ti will be worse.

 

So @DarkSmith2 is right in that respect. But otherwise, I tend to mostly agree with @porinaon this- that while it is faster at gaming, it's mostly academic in the here and now, because those settings are not realistic.

 

Lets take the best Zen2 result here against the best Skylake+++++ result....that's Zen2's 149 fps vs Intel's 178. That's more than 16% better with and old GPU, and the gap widens with better GPUs...is the Intel better? Yes. Does it matter? Not really, because who gets a 2080ti or better to play 1080p medium?

 

It's a decent way to predict on future gpu performance, so I do suspect that a Zen2 will perform even worse than Skylake++++ in this example with the 4xxxx/7xxxx cards...but who cares? 

 

People who will be able to afford 4xxxx and 7xxx cards are not typically the ones who are gonna hang onto old cpu technology anyway. They won't be using 3700x's or 8700k's anyway.

 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

 

My System: i9-10900KF 5.1-5.3ghz @ 1.375v // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX // 32GB (4x8) Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 4000/CL18 // ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Glorious GMMK TKL // Corsair Harpoon Wireless // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

 

Wife's System: i9-9900K Stock // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200 // ASUS KO RTX 3070 // Cooler Master Master Box NR400 ODD // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B/AOC AGON AG241QX/ASUS VG248QE // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Corsair Harpoon Wireless // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

 

TV Gamer: i7-8700K 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Deepcool Gamerstorm Assassin III // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX 5700XT RAW II // Corsair 275R Airflow // Corsair 650M Vengeance 650w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

 

TV Gamer 2: Intel i3-10100 // ASRock H410M-HDV/M.2 // 16GB (2x8) DDR4 T-Force Vulcan 2666 // XFX RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Rosewill FBM-X2 // Gigabyte P750GM // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: LG 50" 4k TV // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers Donated.

 

Son's System: i7-8700 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB (2x8) GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // EVGA XC RTX 3060 // Corsair 275R Airflow // EVGA Supernova G5 650W Gold // 525GB Crucial MX300/1TB WD SN550 // Display: ACER Nitro VG240Y PBiip / Dell P2417H // Corsair K60 Pro SE // Logitech G203

 

Daughter's System: i5-9400 // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 8GB (2x4) Leven DDR4 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: ASUS VG245H // Redragon TKL Mechanic Keyboard + Mouse

 

Ryzen 5 1600 // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M Retired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, keavlar said:

Hey. 

I got to the point where people telling me to keep the 3700x for another year or 2 with 3080 ti. 

And then upgrade. 

Should I do it? will it bottleneck gpu badly? 

Or just buy 5800x and sell the 3700 x

 

mainly this juice i need for gaming,. 

Buy a 5800x especially as you don’t need a  motherboard upgrade. You’ll more than likely see a difference in performance even if it is a small one. 

CPU i5 12600K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 | GPU Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 Mhz | Monitor ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B | PSU ASUS Rog Strix 850G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The V Cache Ryzen CPUs are just around the corner and will probably only need a BIOS update. It will be a more noticeable performance upgrade. They should be the last CPUs on AM4 as well. Wait for that instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

So @DarkSmith2 is right in that respect. But otherwise, I tend to mostly agree with @porinaon this- that while it is faster at gaming, it's mostly academic in the here and now, because those settings are not realistic.

well for most people not realistic, but there is a whole competitive gamer scene that cant get enough of sh1t like this 🙂
And also, most of them would also say ddr4 3200cl14 is bottlenecking hard in that GN benchmark on top of it. 😄

 

 

8 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Lets take the best Zen2 result here against the best Skylake+++++ result....that's Zen2's 149 fps vs Intel's 178. That's more than 16% better with and old GPU, and the gap widens with better GPUs...is the Intel better? Yes. Does it matter? Not really, because who gets a 2080ti or better to play 1080p medium?

178/149=1.20, so its 20%. And yea i agree Medium settings is kinda weird. Low settings would make more sense. Still in GPU bottleneck with that one, guess the 2080ti isnt even overclocked either. KEK

CPU: i7-8700k 5GHz@1.25v | MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @4000CL17GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Evga Supernova G2 750w | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×