Can EGPU make my laptop better?

Go to solution Solved by Ironwhale2009,

The only way I've seen this work effectively is with an old Alienware graphics amp, and that would still choke significant performance from the GPU due to the PCIE lane only being 3.0 x4.

As others have said, USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth for this to be a realistic or even a supported option for your machine.

I'd be inclined to keep the laptop you have for work purposes and look into building something more substantial.

Good luck

I have a Lenovo Idea pad 330 laptop with specs as follows:

1. processor: intel  I3 8th gen
  2. graphics: Integrated UHD 620
  3. ram: 8gb both slots used
  4. storage : 1TB HDD (planning for SSD as primary and hdd will replace the dvd slot)

I wish to upgrade the graphics card to 750 ti (at least its better than having none)

i am kinda  inexperienced with gpu riser adapter cards.

Will this do the job :(cheap 1000 Rs card)

Or 

I have to buy the one shown in every YouTube video so far  Independent Video Card Graphics Dock  (costs 5000 Rs)

Major Question is will EGPU be better than giving up on expectations from this laptop i own and wait for some pc build or new laptop.

also how much of a boost i should expect coz i can turn on some games like valorant and play practice area keeping everything lowest and reducing resolution to 800x...

Will i be able to enter match making and play online with 60 Fps if i do all this struggle of getting GPU.

Risers don't work like that unfortunately, you can't just plug that into a usb port on the laptop. You'll need an EGPU enclosure with a gpu in it and a laptop that supports thunderbolt.

USB does not have the power or bandwidth to run an external GPU. You'll need an external GPU enclosure and Thunderbolt port. Exernal GPU enclosures tend be expensive - you'd be better off building a desktop PC. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

The only way I've seen this work effectively is with an old Alienware graphics amp, and that would still choke significant performance from the GPU due to the PCIE lane only being 3.0 x4.

As others have said, USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth for this to be a realistic or even a supported option for your machine.

I'd be inclined to keep the laptop you have for work purposes and look into building something more substantial.

Good luck