E3D Co-Founder Sanjay Mortimer Passed Away

rentaspoon

Summary

E3D co founder passed away last week, the company broke the news yesterday.

About Sanjay

Sanjay-Mortimer-1989-2021.jpg

He was training as a design technology teacher when he was at a trade fair with cofounder David when they purchased an eMaker Huxley in 2010 he went on to become a teacher and in his spare time created the V4 hotend, they brought 6 months of stock that sold out in a few days, they founded E3D in 2013 and left his job as a teacher (which he spoke fondly of) to become leading founders and legends in 3D printing.

The thing that made his V4 unique was the way the hotend melted the plastics meant more exotic materials could be used. Practically all hotends with the exclusion of the later mosquito and E3Ds Hemera style hotends are derivatives of todays V6.

He has helped create a standard on every product with 3D printers from the extruders, hotends, heater cartridges, sensors and nozzles, every part that the company creates is open source.

Sanjay was the front man of the company, loved by the community for the way he explained every part in detail so a layman would understand but with such excitement. If you know 3d printing you know the V6 and if you know E3D then you know Sanjay.

He was excited for this "solid state" "positive temperature coefficient heaters" Revo Heater coming out soon that will improve efficiency and safety of 3d printers.

His death was unexpected and a shock to the community, little is known what happened but I'm sure that is by choice.

Quotes

It is with the heaviest of hearts that E3D are announcing the death of one of our founding directors, Sanjay Mortimer. He passed away on Saturday 27th November.

Sanjay was a legend in our industry and played a huge role in revolutionising FDM 3D printing. As a founding member of E3D, he was instrumental to all our early developments. As we grew to where we are today, he continued to play an important role in our engineering team.

Over the last ten years he has supported the creation of a world-leading extrusion system engineering team in preparation for E3D’s second decade. Sanjay’s team will deliver on our vision of changing the way humanity manufactures goods.

We will reflect on how we can celebrate a remarkable man. Dave and Josh believe that the spirit of this should be maintained with an endowment in Sanjay’s name to assist young engineers in achieving their goals.

My thoughts

Personally I'm shocked and heart broken at the lost that the 3DP field has lost such an innovator at such a young age, I know he will be dearly missed, anyone who knows about 3D printing will know the importance of him and his company and how much he loved talking about the field. 

Sources

Edited by rentaspoon

1 hour ago, rentaspoon said:

Summary

E3D co founder passed away last week, the company broke the news yesterday.

Quotes

My thoughts

Personally I'm shocked and heart broken at the lost that the 3DP field has lost such an innovator at such a young age, I know he will be dearly missed, anyone who knows about 3D printing will know the importance of him and his company and how much he loved talking about the field. 

Sources

https://e3d-online.com/blogs/news/sanjaymortimer

https://hackaday.com/2021/12/01/remembering-sanjay-mortimer-pioneer-and-visionary-in-3d-printing/

Became curious about this one so after not finding information about what I was curious about in the linked articles I tried a google.

things I found out:

cause of death: unknown (most of the time I see this in the news it turns out later it’s an O.D.  Seems less likely in this case) 

survived by: unknown (pretty rare)

There were a bunch of other unknowns too
ethnicity: unknown (also pretty rare) 

estate: unknown (exceptionally rare)

wikipedia entry: none (downright odd for someone who has five different articles written about their death simply because it’s them that died.) 

Apparently, aside from his work in 3d print stuff, just a regular dude then.  Those unknowns are unusual even for regular dudes though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.