Macbook M1Max with 8k monitor

I'm looking for some hands-on info if anyone may have it. Has anyone tried running an 8k monitor from an M1Max Apple Macbook?

I really like the Apple XDR display, but not being in the video/photo world, don't quite need it, can afford one, would love one, but don't need one.

If i'm not wrong, the macbook has/supports DP1.4 .... doesn't that mean I can use a TB4 <--> DP1.4 hub and get 8k @ 60Hz ? I don't play games on it (not without wanting to), I do a lot of server/cloud/iOS/other software development on it, I can really benefit from the realestate offered by monitors like Dell's 32 inch 8k, but after numerous neck/spine issues (unrelated to computers) I can no longer use 2 or 3 monitors and have constant neck movement in an 8-10-13 hour work day programming. I've tried sitting at my son's workstation for a day with a 49 inch samsung wide display and that's no good either.

Happy to hear options and opinions, but the main thing I want to know is, when my M1Max arrives.... can I plug an 8k display into it and get 60Hz somehow?

9 hours ago, Magoomby said:

I'm looking for some hands-on info if anyone may have it. Has anyone tried running an 8k monitor from an M1Max Apple Macbook?

I really like the Apple XDR display, but not being in the video/photo world, don't quite need it, can afford one, would love one, but don't need one.

If i'm not wrong, the macbook has/supports DP1.4 .... doesn't that mean I can use a TB4 <--> DP1.4 hub and get 8k @ 60Hz ? I don't play games on it (not without wanting to), I do a lot of server/cloud/iOS/other software development on it, I can really benefit from the realestate offered by monitors like Dell's 32 inch 8k, but after numerous neck/spine issues (unrelated to computers) I can no longer use 2 or 3 monitors and have constant neck movement in an 8-10-13 hour work day programming. I've tried sitting at my son's workstation for a day with a 49 inch samsung wide display and that's no good either.

Happy to hear options and opinions, but the main thing I want to know is, when my M1Max arrives.... can I plug an 8k display into it and get 60Hz somehow?

Apple only officially mentions 6K support. I haven't seen instances of people trying 8K monitors, oddly enough, and I've been looking. Do you already have the monitor, or is that just the one you're considering so far?

If you don't absolutely need a 32-inch panel, there are good 4K and 5K monitors at 27 inches and up. Like LG's UltraFine 5K, which is basically an iMac display in standalone form.