Criticism of a PC Design

Bundee

Budget (including currency): My budget, after looking at current market conditions, and opting to wait a little bit longer and save a little bit more money, is $6500 USD

Games, programs, or workloads that it will be used for: Most new games such as Forza, Cyberpunk, Call of Duty, Battlefield. I'd also use it for streaming casually, and school work.

I've come up with a build and I'd like criticism and all recommendations that people who are more knowledgeable than I have.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MBHVrr

This is the current build I am looking at, I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

That's one hell of a system just for gaming, streaming, and doing school work. Is there any specific reason you're going with 64GB of RAM? Or is it just overkill for now with the potential to use it down the road?

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

22 minutes ago, Bundee said:

Budget (including currency): My budget, after looking at current market conditions, and opting to wait a little bit longer and save a little bit more money, is $6500 USD

Games, programs, or workloads that it will be used for: Most new games such as Forza, Cyberpunk, Call of Duty, Battlefield. I'd also use it for streaming casually, and school work.

I've come up with a build and I'd like criticism and all recommendations that people who are more knowledgeable than I have.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MBHVrr

This is the current build I am looking at, I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

Unless you have a very productivity centric use case, 32 gig is enough. 2 dims, don't fill the 4 slots.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

16 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That's one hell of a system just for gaming, streaming, and doing school work. Is there any specific reason you're going with 64GB of RAM? Or is it just overkill for now with the potential to use it down the road?

It's for exactly that. If I'm going to spend this much money, I feel like I might as well just go overkill and fill all 4 slots. For some reason, memory slots just look off to me when they're not all full. It's a weird thing in my brain but that's why I selected 4 sticks of 16GB, but logically, I should probably stick to one kit.

sheesh, leave some pc for the rest of us XD
I've not done streaming before but I can't imagine it needing as much ram as you're getting. You're also spending a lot on a monitor, or at least more than I'd be comfortable spending. you've either got a lot of cash sitting around and sharing is caring or you're about to go way in debt lol. It's your choice of course, but at the very least be reasonable and go down to 32 gb ram

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

14 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Unless you have a very productivity centric use case, 32 gig is enough. 2 dims, don't fill the 4 slots.

I've never actually understood why it's bad to fill the four slots. For example, in order to achieve a total of 64 GB ram, is it better to buy 2 sticks of 32 GB ram, as opposed to 4 sticks of 16 GB ram? I don't quite understand that cause at the end of the day, you're still capping at 64 GB.

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

sheesh, leave some pc for the rest of us XD
I've not done streaming before but I can't imagine it needing as much ram as you're getting. You're also spending a lot on a monitor, or at least more than I'd be comfortable spending. you've either got a lot of cash sitting around and sharing is caring or you're about to go way in debt lol. It's your choice of course, but at the very least be reasonable and go down to 32 gb ram

Yeah it seems like everyone is recommending me to go down to 32 GB of ram, so I will definitely do that. I've actually been saving up for almost two and a half years to start my dream room setup, and my first step is to upgrade my PC. I've also recently come into a lot of money so if this is a hobby that I can help myself achieve, then I will most definitely do it.

1 minute ago, Bundee said:

Yeah it seems like everyone is recommending me to go down to 32 GB of ram, so I will definitely do that. I've actually been saving up for almost two and a half years to start my dream room setup, and my first step is to upgrade my PC. I've also recently come into a lot of money so if this is a hobby that I can help myself achieve, then I will most definitely do it.

cool, congrats on running into some money and saving up for so long! just out of curiosity, what else do you have planned when you say dream room?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I, too. come from the school of fill all four slots.  But my reasoning is a remnant of quad channel memory.  But, for the build I am planning the mobo supports up to 128g across 4 slots.  I am starting with 64g on two slots and will buy 2 more sticks in 5 years when they computer needs a little more horsepower.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

12 minutes ago, Bundee said:

I've never actually understood why it's bad to fill the four slots. For example, in order to achieve a total of 64 GB ram, is it better to buy 2 sticks of 32 GB ram, as opposed to 4 sticks of 16 GB ram? I don't quite understand that cause at the end of the day, you're still capping at 64 GB.

It's not bad, but in a lot of cases it's just unnecessary. Your usage would be just fine with two 16GB sticks for a total of 32GB. If you have the money then go ahead and get 64GB if you want to, but I can tell you now that you probably won't make use of it. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

7 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

cool, congrats on running into some money and saving up for so long! just out of curiosity, what else do you have planned when you say dream room?

Well one thing I'm actively working on is building myself a customized maple wood desk to my exact specifications. It won't seem like much but cable management is huge to me, so this desk will help me clean up all the cables under all my desk. After that, I plan on rebuilding my bed frame from a classic chest style into a floating bed frame, and put LED's under the bed, and all around the ceiling of my room. I plan on setting up surround sound for my PC, and reworking some of the electrical into having a fully automated smart room. The rest of my house is already automated using Lutron Caseta and Apple Homekit but I've been holding off on my room because I want to build my PC and desk first.

4 minutes ago, Bundee said:

Well one thing I'm actively working on is building myself a customized maple wood desk to my exact specifications. It won't seem like much but cable management is huge to me, so this desk will help me clean up all the cables under all my desk. After that, I plan on rebuilding my bed frame from a classic chest style into a floating bed frame, and put LED's under the bed, and all around the ceiling of my room. I plan on setting up surround sound for my PC, and reworking some of the electrical into having a fully automated smart room. The rest of my house is already automated using Lutron Caseta and Apple Homekit but I've been holding off on my room because I want to build my PC and desk first.

sweet! I've done woodworking and know how big of a pain that desk making can be, if you're documenting the design and building process, I'd love to see it!

5 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

sweet! I've done woodworking and know how big of a pain that desk making can be, if you're documenting the design and building process, I'd love to see it!

Yeah so far I've only blueprinted what I want the design to look like. I haven't actually gotten started on the actual build, but I will definitely document it and upload!

33 minutes ago, Bundee said:

Filling all 4 slots can be less stable and sometimes requires you to step down some settings. This is especially true when overclocking which is why some of the high end overclocking mobos only come with 2 slots.

If you're building a new system you should always start with 2 sticks. The others should be left for upgrades down the line if you need more Ram. (but by then you are probably upgrading the whole system anyway)

Your build looks pretty good. My only criticism is about the display. I don't know what kind of room you're building but for that budget I would be looking at an OLED TV.

New cpu coolers include thermal compound. There generally is no need to buy more.

When buying four sticks of memory it is best to get a single kit rather than two 2-stick kits. XMP settings are based on the kit capacity.

The PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive is a bit out of place. Get PCIe 4.0 model.

Are you sure you want such a big case?

Did you consider an i9-12900k?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

18 hours ago, brob said:

New cpu coolers include thermal compound. There generally is no need to buy more.

When buying four sticks of memory it is best to get a single kit rather than two 2-stick kits. XMP settings are based on the kit capacity.

The PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive is a bit out of place. Get PCIe 4.0 model.

Are you sure you want such a big case?

Did you consider an i9-12900k?

I wanted to wipe the factory thermal paste and apply my own just for my own peace of mind and satisfaction which is why I added that to the build.

You're also saying that it's better for me to either get one kit of 4x16 / 2x32 as opposed to 2 kits of 2x16, so based on that I might actually upgrade it to one kit of 2x32 or one kit of 4x16. I know I won't ever end up using 64 GB of ram, but if I'm going to end up spending 6000$ anyways, I'd much rather have the available ram and not need it, as opposed to needing it and not having it.

I'm not sure what to look for in the NVMe drive like you suggested so would you be able to provide me a link for a PCIe 4.0 model NVMe drive? I'm looking for at least 2 TB of storage considering I currently have one TB and I feel as if the drive gets full very quickly.

As for the case, I'm custom building my desk, so the fit will be perfect to the case. I currently have an NZXT H510 and the case I have picked, the Fractal Define 7 is not much bigger, so that doesn't really pose a problem for me. Desk real estate is about as large as I want it to be.

I did not consider an i9-12900k. Would there be any benefits to me switching from a 5950x to a i9-12900k?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6LGnTW/western-digital-black-sn850-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t1x0e

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f3cRsY/samsung-980-pro-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v8p2t0bam

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f3cRsY/samsung-980-pro-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v8p2t0bam

There are others.

At the moment the i9-12900K is brand new and there are supply issues with ddr5. However is it top of the heap when it comes to gaming and many other tasks. Both ddr4 and ddr5 motherboards are available.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

23 hours ago, brob said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6LGnTW/western-digital-black-sn850-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t1x0e

There are others.

At the moment the i9-12900K is brand new and there are supply issues with ddr5. However is it top of the heap when it comes to gaming and many other tasks. Both ddr4 and ddr5 motherboards are available.

Out of the SSD's you have listed to me, which of the following would you recommend for the way I have my build currently designed? And in order to swap out my CPU to potentially getting an i9-12900k, would I have to swap out my motherboard, or any other pieces to prevent any compatibility issues?

1 hour ago, Bundee said:

Out of the SSD's you have listed to me, which of the following would you recommend for the way I have my build currently designed? And in order to swap out my CPU to potentially getting an i9-12900k, would I have to swap out my motherboard, or any other pieces to prevent any compatibility issues?

He only listed 2 SSD. On paper the WD Black is supposed to be the fastest but you can't got wrong with Samsung 980 Pro either.

If you change CPUs then yes you would obviously need a new mobo. You would need to look for Z690 mobos. For 12900K you can choose between DDR4 and DDR5 mobos. I would go with DDR4 because DDR5 is currently impossible to find and there no signs of mass production anytime soon. It also doesn't provide any real world benefit right now.

The rest of your parts can stay the same. Just make sure your CPU cooler comes with a mounting bracket for LGA1700. Its still new so you might have to get it separately.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:37 PM, brob said:

Oops, I had meant to include https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KVfnTW/corsair-mp600-pro-xt-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-cssd-f2000gbmp600pxt.

Any of the three is fine. I'd suggest the least expensive. But if you have a brand preference, that is fine too.

Based upon what a previous commenter said, they informed me that on paper, the Western Digital SSD that you provided me the link for would on paper, be the fastest SSD of the current options, so I've opted to go for that in my build. I also ended up swapping out the CPU cooler for an NZXT Kraken Z73. I love the look of it and I feel as if it looks cooler than the Corsair iCUE I had selected. That also ended up dropping the build price down by nearly 175$, which is always a good thing! Are there any more recommendations you guys have?

On 12/3/2021 at 8:33 PM, dilpickle said:

He only listed 2 SSD. On paper the WD Black is supposed to be the fastest but you can't got wrong with Samsung 980 Pro either.

If you change CPUs then yes you would obviously need a new mobo. You would need to look for Z690 mobos. For 12900K you can choose between DDR4 and DDR5 mobos. I would go with DDR4 because DDR5 is currently impossible to find and there no signs of mass production anytime soon. It also doesn't provide any real world benefit right now.

The rest of your parts can stay the same. Just make sure your CPU cooler comes with a mounting bracket for LGA1700. Its still new so you might have to get it separately.

What exactly is a LGA1700 bracket? I've ended up swapping to the NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB cooler, so would you happen to know if it comes with that bracket?

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

https://nzxt.com/product/kraken-z73-rgb

Go here and click on the link that says "LGA 1700 Bracket Available"

Thank you tremendously! The thing is, what exactly am I using this bracket for. I'm reading that this is for the newer Intel CPU's, however I'm using an AMD. I will go ahead and put in an order for this once I build my PC, but I'd appreciate if you could explain to me what exactly I'm using this for!