Should I upgrade to an i9 11900k?

I currently have an i9 10900k on a Asus Maximus XII Apex, and I have a RTX 3090 and a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro, both able to take advantage of PCIe Gen 4 on this board, but only on 11th gen. Should I upgrade to an i9 11900k to take advantage of Gen 4 (which I can get for quite cheap at the moment), or should I stay with my i9 10900k?

6 minutes ago, MrEWhite said:

Should I upgrade to an i9 11900k to take advantage of Gen 4

If you wanna do that, hop to 12900k and LGA 1700 platform.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

26 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

If you wanna do that, hop to 12900k and LGA 1700 platform.

Even then I don't think it's worth it.

I had a similar dilemma recently - whether to upgrade from a 9900K to a 12600K. I went with the upgrade in the end and am happy with the performance increase. A couple of years ago I was considering an upgrade from a 9900K to a 10850 / 10900K but in the end I decided that the performance increase wasn't worth it. 

As far as you upgrade is concerned, I wouldn't upgrade from 10th gen to 11th gen as the performance increase, in my opinion, isn't worth it. If you really need to upgrade (and have the money) then the 12900K or the 12700K is worth it. For now you could stick with DDR4 as DDR5 is not showing much of a performance increase (especially compared to the cost). 

Another alternative would be to be to stick with your 10900K (which is still an extremely capable CPU) for another couple of years and upgrade when the 13th or 14th gen is released. By then DDR5 should should be cheaper and more mainstream. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Stay with the 10900K, PCIe 4.0 is not worth sacrificing 2 cores and 4 threads for.

It's not always about the extra cores/threads unless you actually use them. Example - for pure gaming the 12600K matches the 5950x in some games and beats it in others. IPC increases often impact gaming more than extra cores/threads. Of course if you use your PC for workloads that need the extra cores, then a higher core count CPU is worthwhile. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G