Pc Freezes when gaming, Help would be appreciated!

Hello, I have been having this issue with my pc for atleast 6 months to a solid year. I mainly play the game Rust and when i do my pc keeps freezeing forcing me to power it off through the power button each time, thus probably not really helping the issue. I play on a pvp server with alot of pop so alot of houses, people and entities and its totally fine. ( Never crashed once )

But when i choose another pvp server or a normal offical server or such it crashes nonstop. It can be the most random time to crash too, walking out in the open with nothing around *crash/ big raid with alot of explosions *crash/ going fishing *crash/ I would REALLY appreciate help on this because this is causing so much frustration its unreal.

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 3400g boost 4.3ghz

GPU: Nvidia gtx 660 ti boost 2gb ( yes im at minimum req for the game but have been playing like this for 4.5 years )

16 gb 3600 mhz ram

b450 mortar max motherboard

SSD 500 gb ( windows installed )

HDD 500 gb

Andersson psu 600w ( potential to cause crashes maybe? )

Errors im aware of, Kernal EventTracing, Device Setup Manager and Security SSP those have pretty much been existing the whole problem duration. ( Especially Kernal EventTracing )

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible! Help would be Greatly appreciated, Regards Harley!

Desktop Screenshot 2021.12.01 - 19.40.03.24.png

Does this happen with other games often or is it just rust? Should also be mentioned that one of the problems with minimum specs with long lasting games like rust is the minimum specs can change over the course of years.

15 hours ago, Mr Gigor said:

Does this happen with other games often or is it just rust? Should also be mentioned that one of the problems with minimum specs with long lasting games like rust is the minimum specs can change over the course of years.

Thanks for the answer, It happens with other games aswell but not nearly the same amount. But the issues only started like 8-12 months ago and has been a linear curve of crashing more often each time pretty much. Im very close to not making min specs but it prob shouldnt make the game crash the pc and force me to shut down the power right?

I play forza with 50% of the min specs and the game has crashed maybe twice over maybe 100+ hours so im wondering if rust isnt really willing to cooperate xD

On 12/2/2021 at 5:39 AM, H1m0n said:

Thanks for the answer, It happens with other games aswell but not nearly the same amount. But the issues only started like 8-12 months ago and has been a linear curve of crashing more often each time pretty much. Im very close to not making min specs but it prob shouldnt make the game crash the pc and force me to shut down the power right?

I play forza with 50% of the min specs and the game has crashed maybe twice over maybe 100+ hours so im wondering if rust isnt really willing to cooperate xD

How hard something crashes usually has to do with the application more than the hardware as long as you're being reasonable. If you tried to play halo infinite on a chrome book if it even gets to the point of starting it will almost certainly hard crash. I am assuming you aren't trying to run rust at max graphics on minimum specs, if you are, don't. I assume you have the minimum or at least as minimum graphics settings as you can handle, on, which would mean it's the game.

Rust is a game that would hard crash by design because it is inherently Jank. I don't know enough about coding, engine building and game development to be able to describe this properly, but I've played a lot of games and their is a massive difference in polish between PUBG vs Warzone. I call this the Jank factor, really just a dividing line between different levels of polish, fallout: new vegas, rust, and PUBG are jank, warzone, halo infinite, and garden story are not. Anyway Rust has that Jank factor and when it crashes it crashes hard, much like every Bethesda developed game, I've never soft crashed fallout 4 lemme tell ya.

One thing you could do is get another monitor, like a TV or something that you don't have to buy, and throw task manager on there and observe to see if the game just eats up RAM or CPU over time. You could also try updating all your drivers. I personally use the app "driver booster" though I don't think I'd recommend it because it's annoying and tries to install with some bloat. I use it because I can never get windows driver update to work by itself, I will know I have driver updates go into the windows device manager and it will tell me I have the latest drivers for some reason. I really don't want to tell you to get a new GPU but it might be the move unfortunately, I payed 970$ for my 3070 TI I have no advice for this.

One thing you can do to help it from hard crashing the whole computer is to open multiple desktops, LTT actually cover this in the "10 Tips for Windows Power Users" video, basically it runs multiple instances of the desktop the benefit here being you can have another desktop open that you can go into and task manager the game away before it body slams your computer, it works especially well if the game has locked your mouse to its window.

3 hours ago, Mr Gigor said:

How hard something crashes usually has to do with the application more than the hardware as long as you're being reasonable. If you tried to play halo infinite on a chrome book if it even gets to the point of starting it will almost certainly hard crash. I am assuming you aren't trying to run rust at max graphics on minimum specs, if you are, don't. I assume you have the minimum or at least as minimum graphics settings as you can handle, on, which would mean it's the game.

Rust is a game that would hard crash by design because it is inherently Jank. I don't know enough about coding, engine building and game development to be able to describe this properly, but I've played a lot of games and their is a massive difference in polish between PUBG vs Warzone. I call this the Jank factor, really just a dividing line between different levels of polish, fallout: new vegas, rust, and PUBG are jank, warzone, halo infinite, and garden story are not. Anyway Rust has that Jank factor and when it crashes it crashes hard, much like every Bethesda developed game, I've never soft crashed fallout 4 lemme tell ya.

One thing you could do is get another monitor, like a TV or something that you don't have to buy, and throw task manager on there and observe to see if the game just eats up RAM or CPU over time. You could also try updating all your drivers. I personally use the app "driver booster" though I don't think I'd recommend it because it's annoying and tries to install with some bloat. I use it because I can never get windows driver update to work by itself, I will know I have driver updates go into the windows device manager and it will tell me I have the latest drivers for some reason. I really don't want to tell you to get a new GPU but it might be the move unfortunately, I payed 970$ for my 3070 TI I have no advice for this.

One thing you can do to help it from hard crashing the whole computer is to open multiple desktops, LTT actually cover this in the "10 Tips for Windows Power Users" video, basically it runs multiple instances of the desktop the benefit here being you can have another desktop open that you can go into and task manager the game away before it body slams your computer, it works especially well if the game has locked your mouse to its window.

Thanks alot for the long and detailed response!

Yes rust is very flawed in its coding and optimization from the beginning so wouldnt surprise me if that is the sole reason for it hard crashing. And yes i run the absolute minimun pretty much on rust and have done for the past 4-5 years so im pretty sure the game has just changed some coding so it crashes even with the same specs. So i would guess the best thing is getting a new gpu because we have already thought about that. But its just i wanted to check and be sure it wasnt something else before purchasing a gpu and have the pc crash again even with a new gpu. And my cpu,ram,mobo and ssd with windows on it is bought new for about 4-5 months ago so those i would guess wouldnt be a problem if they arent faulty from the factory.

Appreciate the help and tips man! Regards Harley!

7 hours ago, H1m0n said:

Thanks alot for the long and detailed response!

Yes rust is very flawed in its coding and optimization from the beginning so wouldnt surprise me if that is the sole reason for it hard crashing. And yes i run the absolute minimun pretty much on rust and have done for the past 4-5 years so im pretty sure the game has just changed some coding so it crashes even with the same specs. So i would guess the best thing is getting a new gpu because we have already thought about that. But its just i wanted to check and be sure it wasnt something else before purchasing a gpu and have the pc crash again even with a new gpu. And my cpu,ram,mobo and ssd with windows on it is bought new for about 4-5 months ago so those i would guess wouldnt be a problem if they arent faulty from the factory.

Appreciate the help and tips man! Regards Harley!

One thing I'd recommend before getting the new GPU is to get a new power supply, if you want to get a 30 series card you'll ideally want a 750w anyway at minimum, and while I've never run into issues caused by the power supply, the fact that I haven't means it could be the issue and I wouldn't see it due to lack of experience. The PSU is the one thing you didn't specify as new and if it's old it might cause some issues. I'd get a new PSU first, then a GPU.

Best of luck my friend.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, H1m0n said:

16 gb 3600 mhz ram

Brand and model?

b450 mortar max motherboard

What BIOS version does it run?

Andersson psu 600w

Post a picture of the label please

15 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Brand and model?

What BIOS version does it run?

Post a picture of the label please

Ill give you the info i can right now, but im running the Ryzen 3400g so i changed out the gpu to the intergrated gpu to see if the crashes persisted and it seems like it doesnt crash anymore. I run Hyperx Fury 3600 mhz ddr4 16gb,bios it came with or i have updated it through radeon sotware maybe once and the andersson psu i have is the top one.

So the psu is absolutly an upgrade waiting to happend too 🙂

49439.jpg