Microphone for people around a table

Aranker

Hey guys,

I am looking for a mic to put on the table, that will capture everyone sitting around it.

Since one of our DnD group-member moved, we have him join us on discord. Because the default mic isn't satisfying, we are looking for something inexpensive to place on the table, that caputures our audio better.

My question is wether or not a standard streaming mic with 3600 feature will do the job. We'd be sitting 50-70cm from it. I really tried to dive deeper into this, but couldn't help myself ^^

A quick yes or no would really help me. If you have more info, just throw it at me!

Thanks in advance.

Very good idea! It'd be a little inconvinient, because I dont think there are any USB ones.

30 minutes ago, Aranker said:

Very good idea! It'd be a little inconvinient, because I dont think there are any USB ones.

You can easily get a XLR to 3.5mm adapter, but you would need to make sure whatever mic you get doesn't require phantom power unless you get a higher end adapter that has that function.  The more I think about it, you might just be better yelling the whole game...

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

7 hours ago, Aranker said:

Hey guys,

I am looking for a mic to put on the table, that will capture everyone sitting around it.

Since one of our DnD group-member moved, we have him join us on discord. Because the default mic isn't satisfying, we are looking for something inexpensive to place on the table, that caputures our audio better.

My question is wether or not a standard streaming mic with 3600 feature will do the job. We'd be sitting 50-70cm from it. I really tried to dive deeper into this, but couldn't help myself ^^

A quick yes or no would really help me. If you have more info, just throw it at me!

Thanks in advance.

The word you want to search for is Omnidirectional. It means it picks audio up in a 360 pattern.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.bone_sc_500_usb.htm
If your in Europe this will work well. Little knob on the front to change pick up pattern. 
If USA https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YetiBlk--blue-microphones-yeti-multi-pattern-usb-condenser-microphone-blackout
Blue probably best choice without spending crazy money

Get a conference table microphone? This is a very typical use case in office conference rooms. Linus has done a sponsored vid on AnkerWork products: 

Jabra also makes good conference microphones, and they typically say what table size/# of people they can pick up at high quality.