Cant remove screw from case standoff.

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,
3 minutes ago, Cringe123 said:

I cant remove it though. I have to remove the screw holding the board in to remove the standoff. (The screw doesnt come out)

you should be able to.

Unscrew all the other motherboard screws, and then remove the board.  If the standoff is caught, spin the screw to unscrew it.  

Something in my pc has been bugging me since I built it. I changed my motherboard recently as one of the sockets on the old one broke. When I installed the new one though, I didnt fully tighten the case standoffs. One of the case standoffs now spins when I spin the screw. I cant screw it in more or remove it. I just left it at first, but I would like to be able to retighten the standoff, but I cant do that as I cant remove the screw. Does anyone know how I can do that? If I screw more, or loosen it a medium volume ping just happens as the case standoff rubs on the board a little.

31 minutes ago, tkitch said:

remove the motherboard from the case, and grab the standoff with pliers. and then unscrew.

I cant remove it though. I have to remove the screw holding the board in to remove the standoff. (The screw doesnt come out)

That sucks. Can you get to the stand-off with needle nose pliers?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 minutes ago, Cringe123 said:

you should be able to.

Unscrew all the other motherboard screws, and then remove the board.  If the standoff is caught, spin the screw to unscrew it.  

On 12/1/2021 at 5:58 PM, freeagent said:

That sucks. Can you get to the stand-off with needle nose pliers?

I found a way to do it. I could see the standoff coming out the back of my case. I grabbed some pliers and held the standoffs back with it. Then from the front of the pc I unscrewed the screw while holding the standoff. I decided to not put a screw in it again even If I could have. Its right at the bottom of the board anyway so it should be fine

2 hours ago, Cringe123 said:

I found a way to do it. I could see the standoff coming out the back of my case. I grabbed some pliers and held the standoffs back with it. Then from the front of the pc I unscrewed the screw while holding the standoff. I decided to not put a screw in it again even If I could have. Its right at the bottom of the board anyway so it should be fine

I felt your pain.. its happened to me before many many moons ago.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I felt your pain.. its happened to me before many many moons ago.

Haha. That standoff was bothering me for over a month.