Advice for 1st Build! (

BrynP

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my older PC (bought 2nd hand), so far I have upgraded the case and the fans (as these were bits I could do fairly simply)

By current build is this:

CPU - AMD FX-8300 (Stock Cooler)
GPU - NVidia GTX 1050 Ti
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
RAM - 16GB DDR3(1333Mhz)
Case - Corsair 5000D Airflow
Fans - 7 Lian Li Uni AL Fans (1-3-3, with 1 controller

I have been able to get my hands on a RTX3090 as I am trying to build a pc that will be able to run a 60fps on a 4k screen. I am aiming at RTS games, specifically Total Warhammer 2 and then 3 next year.

I'm not sure what CPU/Motherboard combo I should look at next, so was looking for some advice. I have been looking at the new 12th Gen, but not sure if an i5 will be okay, or an i7 would be better with the GPU? AMD is an option, but I am buying a new motherboard regardless as I am going to upgrade to DDR4.

I am also then going to need to look at cooling, and was considering the new Lian Li Galahad AIO Uni SL 360mm Water Cooler, as I think that will be able to be plugged directly into the Uni AL controller?

Budget (including currency): £700 for CPU and Motherboard

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Total War: Warhammer 2 - Ultra Graphics, Large Units, 4k at 60fps (This is what the monitor will support)

Other details: RTC 3090 for the GPU. Dual screen set up, but only one screen is 4k. Aim is for a white build, so that is something to bear in mind with the Motherboard (I know that will limit my options somewhat)

Thanks in advance for any help, as you can tell (and from the title), this is the first time I have built anything, so want to get it right

Bryn

What psu do you have right now because you need a REALLY good one :p.

As for your current build yeah a fx series cpu is no longer a 60fps cpu at all.

Also that aio is like stupid expensive a simple air cooler does the trick for most cpu's you'll be able to get.

I mean a simple ryzen 5600 + gigabyte aorus b550 + 16gb of cl16 ddr4 is plenty good for what you need.

Either a 5600X or 12600K will be fine, but if you're doing productivity work the 12600k will be much better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Even though Intel dropped a "bomb" with their 12th gen, I personally would go, if wanted intel a 11th gen, or amd Ryzen 5xxx.

Keep in mind that you will pay early adopter tax for the 12th gen. In both, monetary and stress issue due to what we call "kinderkrankheiten" in the new tech, which need to be ironed out. 

I just got a amd 5800x as my new cpu with a Asrock Taichi x570... ok it is in the mail,, but will arrive this week ^^, because I don't want to pay the "fresh tax" neither have the early adopters tech troubles ^^

Aunt Edit says:

" I forgot to mention that ti use the 12th gen Intel to full potential you will need to use Windows 11, with that a whole bunch of other compatibility issues arise..."

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

12 minutes ago, BrynP said:

I have been able to get my hands on a RTX3090

Honestly if you're getting that card the price difference between an i5, i7, i9 is relatively negligible. I would just go with 12900k, z690 and 64 GB DDR4 and just don't care about upgrading for the next couple years. In my opinion, i7-12700K is best value because you get more 2 p cores for about $100 over i5-12600k

11 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Even though Intel dropped a "bomb" with their 12th gen, I personally would go, if wanted intel a 11th gen, or amd Ryzen 5xxx.

Keep in mind that you will pay early adopter tax for the 12th gen. In both, monetary and stress issue due to what we call "kinderkrankheiten" in the new tech, which need to be ironed out. 

I just got a amd 5800x as my new cpu with a Asrock Taichi x570... ok it is in the mail,, but will arrive this week ^^, because I don't want to pay the "fresh tax" neither have the early adopters tech troubles ^^

Aunt Edit says:

" I forgot to mention that ti use the 12th gen Intel to full potential you will need to use Windows 11, with that a whole bunch of other compatibility issues arise..."

honestly, the tax for 12th gen is well worth the upgrade, considering it's a bargain compared to ryzen 5000 series and is significantly better than 11th gen

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Honestly if you're getting that card the price difference between an i5, i7, i9 is relatively negligible. I would just go with 12900k, z690 and 64 GB DDR4 and just don't care about upgrading for the next couple years. In my opinion, i7-12700K is best value because you get more 2 p cores for about $100 over i5-12600k

Budget (including currency): £700 for CPU and Motherboard

Very good point I forgot about the PSU! I have a Asus Strix 850W, which should be fine?

My aim with the build (with the GPU I have ended up with) is not to need to upgrade for a good number of years. My wife will use this system for doing lesson plans, but nothing intensive, so the aim is gaming. Although trying to design some 3d models for my printer may be something I am looking into

the i9 (or that level from AMD) is a bit much for me, as I do have and idea for a budget, and want to try avoid going over that too much. The i7 was my thinking (if I go intel) with the 2 extra cores

With the AIO, that's fair, I wasn't sure what would be the best air cooler that would fit with the build?

Having to use Windows 11 is thing to consider, you are correct, although it is something that I will have to move to eventually, so hopefully by Jan, they will have fix a number of the initial bugs!

17 minutes ago, BrynP said:

With the AIO, that's fair, I wasn't sure what would be the best air cooler that would fit with the build?

A 280mm AIO would be a good pick if you go with 12700k. 12th gen is pretty hot so something like NH-U15 Chromax, Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, or Scythe Fuma 2 would be good choices for air cooling.

17 minutes ago, BrynP said:

Very good point I forgot about the PSU! I have a Asus Strix 850W, which should be fine?

Might be a bit tight for a 3090, but I think it would still work. I would lean towards a 1000W, but that would continue pushing up the budget

18 minutes ago, BrynP said:

My aim with the build (with the GPU I have ended up with) is not to need to upgrade for a good number of years. My wife will use this system for doing lesson plans, but nothing intensive, so the aim is gaming. Although trying to design some 3d models for my printer may be something I am looking into

the i9 (or that level from AMD) is a bit much for me, as I do have and idea for a budget, and want to try avoid going over that too much. The i7 was my thinking (if I go intel) with the 2 extra cores

Having to use Windows 11 is thing to consider, you are correct, although it is something that I will have to move to eventually, so hopefully by Jan, they will have fix a number of the initial bugs!

I do want to say it would be fine, but my god it's actually going to be tight

for 770W you'd normally want at least 1kw, but give it a shot, worst case scenario is that your PSU catches fire then destroys everything and burns down your neighborhood causing terrible amounts of collateral damage

but more likely, it won't be enough and it'll short, your PC will crash, then you can just go get a 1200W PSU and then it should be fine, maybe go 1300/1400 if you want to be even safer

668541856_Screenshot(52).thumb.png.32f94542a8dad6d85a7a2934de72aaa7.png

Would the buffer be better with an i5 or i7? The i9 is well over my budget

26 minutes ago, BrynP said:

This will be fine for a 3090 and i5/7.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W